Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Instruction manual goofs

I'm sure everyone has their favorite instruction manual goof, typo or simple "huh?"

Let's list them, and see if someone has the real answer, if you don't. Here are my starters.

First:
K20 (page 159) Setting the RAW button function.

1. Jpg --> RAW+ (with a Jpg - got it)
2. RAW --> RAW+ (got it)
3. RAW+ --> RAW+ (huh?)

These choices are identical in the menu itself.

Second:
K20 (page 73) Custom functions.
Item 10. "Auto EV compensation. Sets whether to compensate automatically when proper exposure can not be determined." Huh? If you can't determine exposure, how would you know how to compensate, automatically or not?

09-25-2008, 04:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Second:
K20 (page 73) Custom functions.
Item 10. "Auto EV compensation. Sets whether to compensate automatically when proper exposure can not be determined." Huh? If you can't determine exposure, how would you know how to compensate, automatically or not?
I was under the impression the camera analyzes the histogram after the shot and then adjusts ISO prior to recording the image. But that's not based on anything other than "well....that must be what it is" pulled out of my butt.
09-25-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I was under the impression the camera analyzes the histogram after the shot and then adjusts ISO prior to recording the image. But that's not based on anything other than "well....that must be what it is" pulled out of my butt.
I think it takes another approach, a more logical one. It simply readjusts Aperture or speed if you choose any "out of range" combination... nevemind.

Anyone here with the correct answer?

Robert B.
09-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

But to do that it would have to determine the proper exposure prior to the shot, and the option is specifically for compensating when proper exposure can't be determined. Since it can't adjust shutter speed or aperture after the fact, it seems to me that altering the ISO is the only option left to it.

09-26-2008, 06:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Off topic.

What is most likely is that something was lost in translation.
I am not meaning to derail any fun you are having at the discussion but perhaps the wording and meaning was dicyphered from another language for the manual and camera program.
How many times do we all walk by that injection molding press and laugh at the instructions:
"Be careful not to suffer afraid injury burns from risky air shoting inclusions."

You see what I mean?
The press was sold by a Canadian company, parts made in China from plans and diagrams stolen from America. Lots of opportunities for more than a few "huh?" goin' on there.

Topic continues.
09-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Off topic.

What is most likely is that something was lost in translation.
I am not meaning to derail any fun you are having at the discussion but perhaps the wording and meaning was dicyphered from another language for the manual and camera program.
Well, it just happens that my K20D came with a Japanese language owner's manual, so let's go straight to the source and check out that theory. The item in question reads:

適正露出が得られないときに自動補正をするか否はを設定する. (Tekisei roshutsu ga erarenai toki ni jidouhosei suru ka iya ka wo settei suru).

Nope....no problem there.
09-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, it just happens that my K20D came with a Japanese language owner's manual, so let's go straight to the source and check out that theory. The item in question reads:

適正露出が得られないときに自動補正をするか否はを設定する. (Tekisei roshutsu ga erarenai toki ni jidouhosei suru ka iya ka wo settei suru).

Then I shall retract my statement, my good man.

09-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Inactive Account

OK Mike now what does it say when translated to English and is the meaning the same?
09-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I like your "humoristic" side.
09-27-2008, 02:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wasn't trying to be humorous; just pointing out that the confusing nature of the manual entry stems from lack of clarification and not from translation error. The translation is a sufficiently accurate rendition of the original.