Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2018, 05:47 PM   #1

Bone carving

Totally knew to the digital/Pentax world. Researched and went with the K70 with 18x135 lens. I've read/own the instructions manual from the forum which is far better than one that comes with camera but nothing beats experience. Want to try my first shoot so to speak and I have a carving of two eagles, one high one low with talons sunk into same fish carved out of the lower leg bone of a moose. We bought it in a small shop just outside Denali National Park in Alaska. Talked with the carver for a great length of time and WHAT A STORY! I'm looking for advice on how best to take photos of this carving to show it's craftsmanship as he even carves a small tongue in the open mouths. Oh yeah he goes out and finds the bones himself as well. Obviously it's bone white and not quiet a foot tall. I'm thinking the darker the surrounding it, maybe even a box with black interior, flash or no flash. I'm not to proud to admit I need help. I want this to be the only thing in picture showing the respect the carving deserves. Once I'm in ballpark I'll play away and share pictures. Attached is kit I have, everybody has to start somewhere.

Attached Images

11-10-2018, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buy or make a product photography box. The cardboard kind is cheap but you may need more lights and or flashes.

Something like this:
AmazonBasics Portable Photo Studio amazon.com : AmazonBasics Portable Photo Studio : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
11-10-2018, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Side light to provide shape to the relief. If you shoot it with “flat light” the details will be less pronounced.

Last edited by mattt; 11-10-2018 at 07:24 PM.
11-10-2018, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Something like this might work.
Basic light table - diffuser box and commentary - PentaxForums.com

Just the high lights.

11-10-2018, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Diy cardboard

How to Create an Inexpensive Photography Lightbox: 12 Steps

Vary which lights you use, add flash, make one side brighter or dimmer... Etc. Use a dark backdrop for a white object unless you want a high key effect.