Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2018, 05:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I went out for long exposure shooting yesterday.
the things that bother me on the k3 are:

1. bulb mode and need for guestimating a bit. Usually i take a photo in tav mode first to see what the iso is doing and how much stops i'll need to apply to shoot with iso of 100..

2. Once the nd filter set is on (with polarizer & 10 stop filter), i can't see anything anymore, so i need to remove the filter first again to check focus & to check composition.

3. lack of tilt screen

I assume 1 & 3 are taken care of with a k1 or kp. But i wonder about 2? This one really is a hassle if one wants to make a couple of photos & within the time constraint of the nice dusk light dissappearing soon..
IIRC, 2 shouls not be a problem on the K3, in Live view an AV you should bee able to see the image on screen, with the correct exposure (but only if you are within -5 and +5 EV and shutter less than 30 sec.). I am at work so cannot really check beforehand. Could you check if it works on your K3?

11-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
s on your
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
IIRC, 2 shouls not be a problem on the K3, in Live view an AV you should bee able to see the image on screen, with the correct exposure (but only if you are within -5 and +5 EV and shutter less than 30 sec.). I am at work so cannot really check beforehand. Could you check if it works on your K3?
I am at work as well ;-) but i know that up to 30seconds, one can indeed see the image on screen. that is correct.
In Bulb mode beyond 30seconds, you are in the dark..
11-19-2018, 08:03 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Mirrorless cameras are displaying the exposure. You can see the Histogram in the EVF or Live View. Those of us with DSLRs have to make the picture before we can see that.
Technically, mirrorless cameras are "making the picture" too although they are only simulating a long-shutter-time exposure by using a short-shutter-time exposures with boosted ISO and additive binning of the pixels to increase the image brightness. That simulation does accurately show the overall exposure and tonality of the scene but does not accurately show the blurring effects of long shutter time on moving objects in the scene. Interestingly, the histogram in the EVF or Live View will only be correct for static scenes. The moving headlights of a highway scene, for example, will seem to be clipped in simulated EVF/LV histogram but may be fine in the true long-shutter-time exposure where the light is smeared.

P.S. Those of us with DSLRs only need to push the LV button to get what mirrorless camera users have. Alas, there's no button on a mirrorless camera that gives them an OVF.
11-21-2018, 12:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Technically, mirrorless cameras are "making the picture" too although they are only simulating a long-shutter-time exposure by using a short-shutter-time exposures with boosted ISO and additive binning of the pixels to increase the image brightness.
So technically there is not really a difference with what LV does in a dslr?
I do wonder, when going beyond 30seconds, say 2 minutes, if one can recompose, refocus & remeter in LV & without taking the nd filterset off..?
I understand the fuji in the above can do that..

funny note: i saw yesterday that my ricoh grd iii can actually go beyond 30 sec as well.. up to 15minutes or so. a camera from years ago..!

11-21-2018, 01:12 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mirrorless cameras are displaying the exposure. You can see the Histogram in the EVF or Live View. Those of us with DSLRs have to make the picture before we can see that.
?

Put a K-1 in Live View and in M mode you get the exposure. Dial shutter speed up or down, watch the image get brighter or darker.

All the DSLRs let you see the histogram in Live View, as well as highlight warning.

In fact, buy a Hoodman loupe and your DSLR now has an EVF!

11-21-2018, 03:46 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Clackers has already replied, but on the most recent SLRs, you have the option of having a histogram displayed. The rear display also brightens or darkens as you turn the exposure time up and down, up to the max of 20 minutes. This is only in live view mode and I am guessing it is only with the KP, K-1 and K-1 II, but it is available now.