Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2018, 03:00 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A different approach to panoramic images.

During this summer vacation I made a stop in Kaunas, Lithuania. With me I had a book dedicated to the architecture of this city. I had an intention of repeating some photos found in the book. The widest lens I have is Sigma 18-35 Art and I use K-3 II. Frequently it was not wide enough.

I found one building which I wanted to photograph and decided to make a panoramic image. For the sake of experiment I decided to change my view point, instead of spinning around my vertical axis to the left and to the right. The area in front of the building was paved in plates. I found the centre of the building, made one horizontal shot and marked the spot with a stone. I made an equal amount of steps to the left and then to the right along the same imaginary line and took two more horizontal shots. Shots were take using live view with electronic level turned on. I counted the number of plates on the ground, when I was moving to the either side, to keep the distance from the centre as equal as possible.

I tried stitching the resulting image in Auto Pano Giga 4. For some reason, despite all the variations in settings, it failed to produce correct results. I decided to try the good old Photoshop CS6 and to my surprise it produced a really good result.

Sport University, Kaunas. Panorama.

11-21-2018, 07:05 PM   #2

Many of the stitching programs work from a default setting that the panorama was made from a fixed point and pivoting the camera instead of using a shift lens or rail or otherwise moving the camera location. The perspective, distortion and alignment algorithms are different. If the stitching program has a mosaic mode then the proper corrections can be made. This can be a problem when trying to stitch together flat artwork that was scanned.
11-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are the pavers really like that, or is that a result of the stitching, if they are like that I could also see that a confusing the stitching software. The building looks really good.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 11-22-2018 at 03:57 AM.
11-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your approach is referred to as a linear or planer or a multi-point panorama.

11-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually all the lines on the square in front of the building are rectangular, so this is a result of photoshop being creative in its own way

@interested_observer, thanks I did not know the name for this method !