Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #1

tips (please) for a shoot today

Please remember that I'm new to this so this is probably a really easy answer but I want to make sure I get it right. I tried searching the forums but am not finding exactly what I need.

I was asked to shoot some kids homecoming photos today. It will all be outdoor at a small lake (I think that's the backdrop basically). Most of the photos will be of couples and some of the group. I'm thinking that most will also be full length shots too. In addition, I'm not sure where the sun will be in relation to the set up on the property.

First I read to use f/11 but then I also read to use f/3.5. (both inKelby books)

I have the K10D with the kit lens, also a Tam 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 (this is the one I'm thinking I should use) and then a Tam 70-300 f/4-5.6 di ld af.

My plan is to let my brother shoot with my p&s cuz I know those will turn out (sad, I know) and I'm going to use my pentax.

I would really appreciate any advice or tips to make this go smoothly thanks in advance!

09-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pattik Quote
First I read to use f/11 but then I also read to use f/3.5. (both inKelby books)
Either will work - depends on the results you want. f/11 will yield slower shutter speeds, perhaps requiring a tripod, but will have lots of depth of field, allowing you to get whole groups in focus. f/3.5 will give faster shutter speeds but shallower dept of field - more appopriate for shooting a single subject and making the background be out of focus.

Of course f/3.5 isn't an option with any of your lenses ex cept at the very widest end. With the kit lens you'll probably all the way at the 55 end, in which case the biggest aperture you can shoot is f/5.6. With the Tamron lenses, you'll probably be somewhere in the 7-80 range, and the maximum aperture there might be anywhere from f/4 to f/5.6. And since shooting any lens at its very widest seldom yields the sharpest pictures, f/8 or f/11 indeed may make more sense.
09-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks Marc! If I can figure out how, I will post some pics later tonight or tomorrow