Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
When I started my "Adventures in Astrophotography" post over in the Astrophotography group, a number of people reiterated the suggestion on using the O-GPS1 and that it'd be a worthwhile purchase, and I'm certainly being swayed by it!

So obviously it provides rudimentary tracking and GPS functionality - but what I was wondering was, if properly calibrated, does it also record the orientation of the camera (specifically the azimuth/elevation)? I was out taking pictures this morning and forgot my notepad, and I would usually record roughly where the camera was pointed so that I can find it again later in stellarium :P

I don't believe it does; just curious :P
It "sort of" records the orientation of the camera. In Lightroom (I don't know about other programs) select the image you want. On the upper right corner select "Map". The view will change to a map showing location and the metadata panel will open on the right side. The direction will show in that panel but will just be a general direction i.e. "south". southeast. etc. Since you have Stellarium, you can get more precise info. Turn on the azmuthal grid (The switch is in a popup window in the bottom left of Stellarium.) Enter the date/time you took the image. If you know the name of the object (M42, Venus, etc) you can do a search. If you don't know the object's identification, you should have a good idea of the direction you were aiming and just try to match the Stellarium view to the image and get the azimuth/elevation that way.

01-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
It "sort of" records the orientation of the camera. In Lightroom (I don't know about other programs) select the image you want. On the upper right corner select "Map". The view will change to a map showing location and the metadata panel will open on the right side. The direction will show in that panel but will just be a general direction i.e. "south". southeast. etc. Since you have Stellarium, you can get more precise info. Turn on the azmuthal grid (The switch is in a popup window in the bottom left of Stellarium.) Enter the date/time you took the image. If you know the name of the object (M42, Venus, etc) you can do a search. If you don't know the object's identification, you should have a good idea of the direction you were aiming and just try to match the Stellarium view to the image and get the azimuth/elevation that way.
Does't sound like a go-to method of recording the camera position - I'll just need to make sure I record it properly in future (compass and protractor to the rescue!)

I think I'll need to grab an O-GPS1 at some point... dang, I was hoping I could get away with my own inventiveness and as little money as possible! Ha, I feel like such a cheapskate sometimes!