Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2019, 06:48 AM   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 4,261
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For the blue light effect (and everything else) I use raw. As I showed in the above link, the camera does the white balance and strips the blue channel so with an auto -white balance you won't be able to restore the blue even if you want it. But if you set the WB to daylight, I imagine you'd get a pretty good blue in blue light.
My experience with raw and auto WB has been more positive, on K-1 as well as K-5. The blue usually shows fine in Lightroom and on exports. I wonder if there's a difference in our camera settings or software that responsible.

Both of my samples above started with auto WB. Any adjustments in Lightroom were minor.

02-12-2019, 06:50 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,640
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
My experience with raw and auto WB has been more positive, on K-1 as well as K-5. The blue usually shows fine in Lightroom and on exports. I wonder if there's a difference in our camera settings or software that responsible.

Both of my samples above started with auto WB. Any adjustments in Lightroom were minor.
The camera WB doesn't affect raw... only the jpegs. In my test I shot raw on the front card and jpeg on the back.
02-12-2019, 09:52 AM - 4 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,978
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For the blue light effect (and everything else) I use raw. As I showed in the above link, the camera does the white balance and strips the blue channel so with an auto -white balance you won't be able to restore the blue even if you want it. But if you set the WB to daylight, I imagine you'd get a pretty good blue in blue light.
That would be true with jpeg, but shooting RAW you can have the WB anywhere. I usually shoot RAW with AWB, blue hour or noon or anywhere inbetween. If AWB misses the mark I can always fix it later. I find the AWB does pretty well for me with blue hour and sometimes even makes it a little too blue in my experience.

My favorite blue hour shots usually involve water which can bring light back into what might be a very dark foreground plus it's easy to capture some water motion in the low light too.





02-12-2019, 09:54 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,640
Some moderator should turn this into a thematic thread.

02-12-2019, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,978
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
The real magic happens during blue hour, I like it more than the golden hour.
...
Those are beautiful photos. Nicely done! I agree with your advice too and do things similarly when I have time.
02-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #21
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,209
Enter location and date and this site gives the morning/evening blue hours (plenty of other info on the site too): Welcome to Blue Hour and Night Photography | How to learn tutorials | bluehoursite.com | Blue Hour and Night Photography | How to learn tutorials | bluehoursite.com

There's a good deal of info about the different light phases in the next link, including the blue hour. It is a website for a pay app that might help you plan this sort of thing (I don't have the app, but I think the info page about light phases is straightforward, especially the chart with sun angles): Understanding Golden Hour, Blue Hour and Twilights | PhotoPills
02-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #22
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,640
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Enter location and date and this site gives the morning/evening blue hours (plenty of other info on the site too): Welcome to Blue Hour and Night Photography | How to learn tutorials | bluehoursite.com | Blue Hour and Night Photography | How to learn tutorials | bluehoursite.com

There's a good deal of info about the different light phases in the next link, including the blue hour. It is a website for a pay app that might help you plan this sort of thing (I don't have the app, but I think the info page about light phases is straightforward, especially the chart with sun angles): Understanding Golden Hour, Blue Hour and Twilights | PhotoPills
Look at that, it really is thing....
Where are all those white balance enthusiasts now?

Some think gloating is beneath me... they're wrong.
02-13-2019, 12:09 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,191
Original Poster
Here is one of the exposures captured last Sunday. That one was captured 40 minutes (17:55) after the official sunset time, corresponding to sun being about 8 degree below the horizon (but there is a chain on mountains blocking the sunset light in the west direction), so it was getting darker than the sunset time found on website (17:15).




QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Also, I think the good photography window during blue hour is a lot darker than many realize. This darkness can bring it's own challenges if your landscape elements aren't producing or reflecting any light.
I noticed that. [ BTW, you have here fantastic blue hour shots ] . To achieve a decent amount of blue, I had to wait as it was getting darker and darker, my desire to taken more exposures was fighting again the cold that pinched my fingers. The challenge is to wait long enough to have the blue, but at the same time not have the details completely sunk in shadows.Here I had to pull the shadows otherwise the face of buildings, trees and river would be too dark to my taste. There is also the problem that if I waited longer, the sky would be darker and the highlights would be burned.

---------- Post added 13-02-19 at 08:16 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I usually shoot RAW with AWB, blue hour or noon or anywhere inbetween. If AWB misses the mark I can always fix it later. I find the AWB does pretty well for me with blue hour and sometimes even makes it a little too blue in my experience
. I'm surprised of this. For me, AWB reduces the amount of blue, so maybe I exposed too early after sunset. I've set the white balance to daylight (I believe for Pentax the color temperature for the daylight WB is around 4800 Kelvin) , and noticed that CTE renders much more blue but too much to look realistic.

---------- Post added 13-02-19 at 08:18 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
So IMHO, I go there before sunset to scout location and I don't wait, I capture everything from early golden hour to early night. And try long exposure during blue hour too. I love long exposure of car or people walking during blue hours.
You're sharing really amazing shots here, that's inspiring. Your cityscapes renders beautifully with the mix of lights and blues. Thank you for sharing. One advantage blue hours exposures is the time of the day, a magical time typically after work :-)

---------- Post added 13-02-19 at 08:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Here couple of shots
All I can say is, wow!

---------- Post added 13-02-19 at 08:23 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
They are from a series of about 15 that I got by chance. No planning for this, the cruise boat just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
Yep, you were lucky to be there at the time and place for the framing. Great shots.

---------- Post added 13-02-19 at 08:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
.I normally reckon to get a blue sky for up to about 45 mins after sunset between 60 mins and 30 mins before sunriseThis was was sunset + 40 mins
Thanks for giving some times relative to sunrise , sunset, very useful.

---------- Post added 13-02-19 at 08:26 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Here's some more...
Some are blue hours, some others not (more like sunsets) :-), but that's ok.


Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-13-2019 at 12:20 AM.
02-13-2019, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,978
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Here is one of the exposures captured last Sunday. That one was captured 40 minutes (17:55) after the official sunset time, corresponding to sun being about 8 degree below the horizon (but there is a chain on mountains blocking the sunset light in the west direction), so it was getting darker than the sunset time found on website (17:15).




I noticed that. [ BTW, you have here fantastic blue hour shots ] . To achieve a decent amount of blue, I had to wait as it was getting darker and darker, my desire to taken more exposures was fighting again the cold that pinched my fingers. The challenge is to wait long enough to have the blue, but at the same time not have the details completely sunk in shadows.Here I had to pull the shadows otherwise the face of buildings, trees and river would be too dark to my taste. There is also the problem that if I waited longer, the sky would be darker and the highlights would be burned.

---------- Post added 13-02-19 at 08:16 ----------

. I'm surprised of this. For me, AWB reduces the amount of blue, so maybe I exposed too early after sunset. I've set the white balance to daylight (I believe for Pentax the color temperature for the daylight WB is around 4800 Kelvin) , and noticed that CTE renders much more blue but too much to look realistic.[COLOR=Silver]

Thanks! Here is one more from last night. I was XC skiing and out for sunset which I didn't really get a good shot of. It was nice but the color was at a place in the sky that was hard for me to use in a compelling composition. I did find a nice enough composition for a blue hour panorama so I settled for that instead. It was pretty chilly at 7 degrees F so I got the shots and got skiing again. It's about 2 Miles from the parking lot here and it was full darkness when I got to the truck.

I could have waited longer for deeper blues but I wanted to catch that last little bit of light on the rocks too so I shot this at 5:53 which was only 11 Minutes after official sunset but because of the mountains, it was probably more like 25 minutes after the sun had been visible from here.

AWB was at 4850/+4 for this and in post I used Color Efex Pro to enhance detail and color contrast a little.

K-1ii & A* 300/4 x 4 shots

Last edited by mattb123; 02-13-2019 at 07:43 AM.
02-13-2019, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,640
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Thanks! Here is one more from last night. I was XC skiing and out for sunset which I didn't really get a good shot of. It was nice but the color was at a place in the sky that was hard for me to use in a compelling composition. I did find a nice enough composition for a blue hour panorama so I settled for that instead. It was pretty chilly at 7 degrees F so I got the shots and got skiing again. It's about 2 Miles from the parking lot here and it was full darkness when I got to the truck.

I could have waited longer for deeper blues but I wanted to catch that last little bit of light on the rocks too so I shot this at 5:53 which was only 11 Minutes after official sunset but because of the mountains, it was probably more like 25 minutes after the sun had been visible from here.

AWB was at 4850/+4 for this and in post I used Color Efex Pro to enhance detail and color contrast a little.

K-1ii & A* 300/4 x 4 shots
That's great use of a 200mm lens to get you a shot you wouldn't get any other way. People often use panos for wide angle shots, but you also get images with framing that isn't available any other way with long lenses. If you start walking down the hill for a wider single frame image, the background ridge will appear to be lower, and overall a less effective images. Nice balance of red rock and and blue background in that one. It's all about the colour.

Another from Whitney
Across the bay from the Couple's Resort.

Last edited by normhead; 02-13-2019 at 08:41 AM.
02-13-2019, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
acoufap's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Munich, Germany
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,697
I don't know if it already was official "blue hour" but there's a lot of blue in the pictures ...


Blue @ 70mm


Blue @ 210mm

Both KP DA55-300PLM
02-13-2019, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian
swanlefitte's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: New Orleans
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,116
Here are a couple from way back. They are really compressed from back in the day when Flickr was young. I tried to reload them from my older computer but I can't pass the "I am not a robot test"

This is really the end of golden hour but the blue came in just enough to make a nice pallet.


This was in the morning.
02-13-2019, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,448


handheld, waiting for the train to go home
02-13-2019, 08:43 PM - 6 Likes   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,761
Yeah, standing around in the cold it might just seem black, but a long exposure reveals the remnant light is very blue …

02-13-2019, 11:08 PM   #30
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 166
I am in Matt123's camp and I will adjust my exposure after a test shot. Also, I cheat and use a CirPol and bring some blue highlight by removing glare. Underexposing helps particularly when there are clouds, hills or mountains, and layered trees or rock to provide edges for light interactions not possible in flat featureless topography. As Matt123 mentioned, moving water can give those interactive edges for the light.

JB

Last edited by Take-5-JB; 02-14-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
amount, awb, camera, daylight, exposure, exposures, horizon, hour, hours, light, minutes, photography, position, shot, shots, sky, summer, sun, sunset, technique, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landscape Blue hour abstract at Mesquite Dunes The Madshutter Post Your Photos! 34 08-06-2018 02:03 PM
Landscape Blue hour at Guines Beach with my MX-1 Jorgario Post Your Photos! 10 07-05-2018 09:23 PM
Full moon rises at gold/blue hour on the 16th. swanlefitte General Photography 5 09-09-2016 06:38 PM
Understanding Golden Hour, Blue Hour and Twilights interested_observer Photographic Technique 4 06-10-2014 07:26 AM
Golden Hour, Blue Hour Jon Photographic Technique 8 12-20-2013 11:17 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:20 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top