Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
I will also say the second trip had dramatic overcrowding with all of the day trippers and was no where near as much fun as the first trip during the holiday season.
Yeah, we were there for two days, so also got to enjoy St Mark's Square in the evening with almost no one there after the daytrippers had departed. Magical, very warm with a string quartet playing outside one of the restaurants.

We still had to take the last boat back to Maistre to our motel, it was annoying to discover that reasonably priced accommodation can be found in Venice itself, we would've done that instead.

02-15-2019, 03:39 PM - 4 Likes   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One way to correctly identify the blue hour for any given location is using this app on your smartphone: PhotoPills | Shoot legendary photos. I have no affiliation with the makers of the app and use it from time to time. I haven't had a really critical look at the accuracy of it for this purpose but it is a well respected photo app. And since there are so many great examples of blue hour pictures in this topic I'll share too!
02-15-2019, 06:18 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
One way to correctly identify the blue hour for any given location is using this app on your smartphone: PhotoPills | Shoot legendary photos. I have no affiliation with the makers of the app and use it from time to time. I haven't had a really critical look at the accuracy of it for this purpose but it is a well respected photo app. And since there are so many great examples of blue hour pictures in this topic I'll share too!
If I have to plan anything I'll be late, if I just plan to wander, I might get there on time.
02-16-2019, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If I have to plan anything I'll be late, if I just plan to wander, I might get there on time.
That is exactly why I haven't really tested this app for finding the right moment! I go out when I have time and feel like I want to enjoy my self. But sometimes when I am wandering and I am not sure which spot to pick it does help finding the right place knowing where the sun sets with the associated quality of the light.

02-17-2019, 06:53 PM - 4 Likes   #50
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Swan street bridge, Melbourne - 645 FA 35mm f/3.5 - Pentax 645z

Melbourne Skyline, Along the Yarra River - 645 FA 45-85mm f/4.5 - Pentax 645z
02-17-2019, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For the blue light effect (and everything else) I use raw.
That is the key. RAW has no white balance applied, hence the capture is sort of a blank slate for interpretation. The "blue" in the "blue hour" is quite simply a shift in spectral composition similar to that of open shadow vs. direct sun. One can use fixed white balance set to daylight (5500°K) as a baseline* and adjust from there modifying virtual spectral response in PP or something similar. Regardless of the approach used, the actual capture data is of a scene that is spectral deficient at the warm end and will behave as such in post.

Steve

* While RAW capture has no notion of white balance as such, it usually includes the camera white balance setting(s) as metadata to provide a rendering hint to the RAW processor. The RAW processor may also assign a white balance based on evaluation of the frame data, if directed to ("auto" button) or if the metadata are missing.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-18-2019 at 09:25 AM. Reason: grammar
02-17-2019, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
BTW, everyone, note that Timotis is shooting the same scene as my crap picture, but from the bridge.

See how good his blue hour composition/crop is compared to another pic of his (presumably the same session) at: Melbourne Skyline, along the Yarra River - PentaxForums.com … the dead space is gone.

02-17-2019, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #53
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
BTW, everyone, note that Timotis is shooting the same scene as my crap picture, but from the bridge.

See how good his blue hour composition/crop is compared to another pic of his (presumably the same session) at: Melbourne Skyline, along the Yarra River - PentaxForums.com … the dead space is gone.
These two where both taken on the same morning (yesterday), one with the 35mm (with plenty of dead space(of which i fully agree with) and the other is with the 45-85mm, at 45mm....
Having never shot this, I wasn't sure which lens to bring on the long hike (drive) from Docklands .......

What I was most annoyed about were the 4 lights out on the newly reno'd Swan street bridge....
02-19-2019, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The "blue" in the "blue hour" is quite simply a shift in spectral composition similar to that of open shadow vs. direct sun. One can use fixed white balance set to daylight (5500°K) as a baseline* and adjust from there modifying virtual spectral response in PP or something similar. Regardless of the approach used, the actual capture data is of a scene that is spectral deficient at the warm end and will behave as such in post.
The later after sunset, the more blue content in the palette. Collecting the exif values of many blue hour shots from the blue hour photo pool at flickr provides a hint of the light levels: exposure time from around 1 sec. to 15 seconds, at ISO100 with the lens aperture at f8.

Today, 20 minutes after official sunset time: 3 seconds exposure at ISO100 / f8.

Today, 14 minutes after official sunset time: 1.3 seconds exposure at ISO100 / f8.

Today, 2 minute before official sunset time: 1/6th seconds exposure at ISO100 / f5.6.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-19-2019 at 02:19 PM.
03-12-2019, 06:32 PM - 2 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

One more
04-19-2019, 10:23 AM - 2 Likes   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

06-08-2019, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

the very beginning of blue hour as the sun was over the peaks but still golden hour if you were above.
06-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
the very beginning of blue hour as the sun was over the peaks but still golden hour if you were above.
The blue hour is a few instant away from the golden hours? As soon as the ray of sun disappear and the light comes from the sky, it's the blue hour.
06-08-2019, 09:55 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The blue hour is a few instant away from the golden hours? As soon as the ray of sun disappear and the light comes from the sky, it's the blue hour.
Yes in a canyon it isn't well defined. The sky is turning blue and the sun rays are golden but in the canyon you get both as the sun cuts through parts. In this picture under the tree and the red rock on the east (edit the west) of the cliff is blue while golden comes through. It's before sunset so golden hour but sun is set behind cliffs so blue hour.
Edit there were as everyday 300 people on a bridge to get the money shot when I took this.

Last edited by swanlefitte; 06-08-2019 at 10:10 PM.
06-09-2019, 12:08 AM - 3 Likes   #60
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
We have days here when the "Blue Hour" seems to last most of the day due to some of our inclement conditions.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo