Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account

sunrise photos

I am planning on going to the Haleakala crater on Maui tomorow and would like to have any thoughts on how best to capture a nice sunrise pic. I have a K10 with an 18-250, a 50-135 2.8, and a pentex 50 1.4. Wich lens is the best to use and what shuld I know to best capture the moment at the top of the world in low light in the morning. I am relative novice but take direction fairly well. Thanks if you can help.

09-30-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Damn Brit

They say that the light is better before you see the sun so get there about half an hour early.
I've never been there so I don't know what the lay of the land is but I suspect the 50-135 will be your best bet, followed by the 18-250.
Do you have a tripod? If not, take your bag to use as a rest and maybe find a rock you can use to get higher if necessary.
As far as exposure goes, I recommend bracketing so you get the same shot with slightly different exposures and don't forget to shoot raw.
Good luck, I look forward to seeing your shots posted on the forum.

I was at Snoqualmie in April, got some nice shots of the falls, beautiful, you can see one of my shots (if you want) in the Fisheye thread in the lens forum.
09-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Gary. I will check out the falls photo. It must have been spectacular in April there was record amount of water this past sprin form the snow melt. snoqualmie is a beautiful place I'll see if I can post a falls picture of mine.

I will need to read up on how to use the bracketing on my K10d. Yes I do have a tripod and plan on taking it to the summit in the morning.

Thanks again for the advice.
Steve
Attached Images

09-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by TheFunk Quote
Thanks Gary. I will check out the falls photo. It must have been spectacular in April there was record amount of water this past sprin form the snow melt. snoqualmie is a beautiful place I'll see if I can post a falls picture of mine.

I will need to read up on how to use the bracketing on my K10d. Yes I do have a tripod and plan on taking it to the summit in the morning.

Thanks again for the advice.
Steve
You better bloody post some pictures.

10-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd recommend the 18-250 since you'll probably want to shoot wide. The 50-135, while a great lens that I love, is prone to flare when shooting into bright lights. You may get some great shots with it, though, taken before sunrise.

Take a tripod or someway to stabilize your camera so you can shoot at low ISO and long exposure times.

Oh, and I agree with Gary. You need to post your photos!
10-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Just a word of advice, but it gets pretty cool up there before sunrise. It's well worth the trip. I only had a 3-mpg kodak when I was there 5 years ago.
10-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have one (or have time to get one) consider a split neutral density filter. Once the sun comes up this will help keep the sky balanced with the ground better.

10-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I'd recommend the 18-250 since you'll probably want to shoot wide. The 50-135, while a great lens that I love, is prone to flare when shooting into bright lights. You may get some great shots with it, though, taken before sunrise.

Take a tripod or someway to stabilize your camera so you can shoot at low ISO and long exposure times.

Oh, and I agree with Gary. You need to post your photos!
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Just a word of advice, but it gets pretty cool up there before sunrise. It's well worth the trip. I only had a 3-mpg kodak when I was there 5 years ago.
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
If you have one (or have time to get one) consider a split neutral density filter. Once the sun comes up this will help keep the sky balanced with the ground better.

I think he was either up there or on his way back by the time you posted guys.
10-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice you guys. I went this morning and shot with the 50-135 lens. I need to get the filter that was mentioned. The shots certinally needed to be shot in manual mode prior to the sunrise. I took a lot of photos at different settings. Yes there was a lot of flare with the 50-135. It was very dark so it was a challange to change lens in the wind too. here are two shots that I liked. You can critique or photoshop to improve if you like.

Being a new guy to this stuff I appreciate all the advice, thanks.
Attached Images

10-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good job, perfect exposure!

I have found that metering on the sky near the sun but without getting it in the frame constitutes a good starting point for the exposure.
10-02-2008, 06:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hey The Funk,
I haven't left the lowlands for a bit. How are the fall colors turning out up that high. A little change down here but not much. I quess I need to take a drive this weekend but might have to get over the pass to stay dry.

BTW nice shots.
10-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I haven't been home for a couple of weeks but I would think the fall colors are a few weeks away yet. Here in Hawaii it is georgous.
10-03-2008, 12:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

OrenMc, if you get to the east slopes of the Cascades this weekend, I'd love to see a few pics! The area just east of Stevens Pass is one of my October favorites, but work obligations are going to keep me away from the fall colors this year, sadly. I won't be free to travel or shoot until mid-November, so would love to see through your lens since I can't look through mine.
10-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TheFunk Quote
I am planning on going to the Haleakala crater on Maui tomorow and would like to have any thoughts on how best to capture a nice sunrise pic. I have a K10 with an 18-250, a 50-135 2.8, and a pentex 50 1.4. Wich lens is the best to use and what shuld I know to best capture the moment at the top of the world in low light in the morning. I am relative novice but take direction fairly well. Thanks if you can help.
I guess the only question is actually to carry that fifty or not... You'll definitely need wide angle, so you need 18-250, and you can't really argue will you find something to use 50-135 on, since it's opticaly the best, and without any doubt better than 18-250... now, I guess there's no point making portraits with full out of focus background at the scene, since you can do this anywhere, so f/1,4 won't really be needed, and for 50mm, again, you have 50-135... If I'd have to pick one lens only, then 18-250 - soft shot is better than no shot, and I'd miss wide angle...
10-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Do you like your 500mm F1.4? Let me know