Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2019, 04:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can an active gimbal replace a tripod?

Carrying a tripod requires not only effort, but often the form factor doesn't fit into a backpack. I've seen people recording video (online) using an active gimbal devices so that the video looks smooth. How good would such gimbal be for photography? Can an active gimbal replace a tripod with Pentax camera SR enabled or disabled? Can such gimbal fit into a medium sized backpack?

02-24-2019, 05:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those hand held gimbals work nicely for video, but they would terrible for still photography. Because video is recorded in so many frames per second you don't see camera movement nearly as much in the final product, but if you were to look at each frame individually you would see a lot of blurred frames. It's the way the eye sees video.

Holding your camera on a stick fro still photos would probably induce even more movement.
02-24-2019, 07:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd think that it would help somewhat but only a stop or two. The gimbal will attenuate but not eliminate small movements that could create pixel-level blurring.

As for using Pentax SR on an active gimbal, the results will depend on transfer functions of the two control systems (mostly the operating frequencies of the servo loops). They may end up helping each other or fighting each other.
02-24-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a Joby 3k for situations where I can't carry a regular tripod. It's not ideal, in fact, it's rarely useful for more than low angle shots or when you have a rock to serve as a raised platform. That is for nature/hikes, in the city it's a little more useful because you can sometimes find a handrail to attach it to, trees sturdy enough for that are often too large. I'm wondering, wouldn't a gimbal head be quite heavy even if it worked, because of batteries etc?

Last edited by aaacb; 02-24-2019 at 08:09 AM.