Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Trying to create a water droplet surface texture for macro shot

I have a hammered copper mug I'd like to do a macro shot of, and I think it'd look really interesting if I could cover it in a fine coating of water droplets. I'm sure there's a trick for this - perhaps a cold liquid inside?

02-26-2019, 07:44 AM   #2
Forum Member

Couple of ice cubes?
02-26-2019, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shenloanne Quote
Couple of ice cubes?
I'll try that... I might buy some RainX windshield wiper fluid too, wash the outside of the cup in it. It seems to promote those tiny water droplets I'm looking for.
02-26-2019, 09:09 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try putting Rain-x on the cup and using glycerin for the drops. Use an eye dropper to put the glycerin on the cup. You can buy glycerin at the drug store-it's pretty inexpensive.

02-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #5

yep, you want the surface of the cup to be water repellent, i.e. apolar such as a tiny bit fatty so that you'll have nice small drops of the apolar fluid and then apply a very fine spray of water. I think that the water droplets would like to collect into bigger drops and that gets easier when they weigh more and find themselves on a sloping or vertical surface. Good luck with this! Sounds like a nice project (both making the cup/mug and making nice photos)
02-26-2019, 03:26 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would suspect rainx would cause those tiny drops to slide down easily, so you might test a spot first.

---------- Post added 02-26-19 at 05:27 PM ----------

Alternatively get ice and head into a more humid environment like a bathroom after a shower. Maybe time lapse it?
02-26-2019, 03:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Somewhere on flickr a friend of mine found a interesting recommendation to spray or flick 1:1 distilled water and glycerin. Just bought some glycerin and have DW already so I'll be giving it a shot!

It is an interesting problem, to keep the droplets small..
02-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Try freezing the mug in your freezer and then let it thaw out in a humid environment. You'll get frost which will convert to small droplets and then run. Timing is important to get them at just the right moment and you might need to play with the humidity. A chunk of dry ice in the mug might work also (pull it out when you have enough frost).

Clean and repeat if necessary. I think the RainX might be a problem since it's designed to prevent water from sticking and would promote a rapid runoff - just a guess.

02-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Managed to mix the 1:1 glycerin solution this morning, it is THICK. Took a quick test shot, definitely on the right track.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
02-27-2019, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tried the spray tonight. Worked pretty well! I sprayed on fine from a distance - if you overdo it, the water balls up and rolls away. Didn't have as much time as I'd like to play with it, but definitely promising! I need to try the condensation route, though it's winter here, so it's pretty dry...