Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #1

Asahi Pentax ME, Light Meter not Working

I got an Asahi Pentax ME, the Light Meter is not Working. I replaced the 2 batteries and cleaned the contacts with an eraser. Turned the switch to AUTO, pressed down on the shutter release. No life from the meter. Not sure what is wrong. Anybody have advise?

10-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Common sense would dictate a broken light meter.
10-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
Inactive Account

You're sure the batteries are in correctly? Also, did you pull the film advance lever out slightly? This has to be out at about a 30 degree angle for the meter to function.

CW
10-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
This has to be out at about a 30 degree angle for the meter to function.
No it doesn't. You only have to do that to keep the meter active once you take your finger off the shutter release button.

To activate the metering you have to press the button gently (just like on modern cameras)

10-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice M40/2.8.

I would take off the bottom plate and make sure the wire connecting the battery compartment to the rest of the camera is connected. A leaking battery can corrode this wire. Some cameras used stainless steel to fight corrosion, which makes resoldering this connection tough.

The next step might be following that wire and checking the next thing it goes to. The switch on the shutter mechanism that turns on the meter with a half-press is a good candidate. Removing the top plate is more involved than the bottom plate.

My library has some great camera repair books, and you should find the MEs mentioned.
10-03-2008, 12:30 AM   #6

Original Poster
Man do I feel STUPID. Went to my local photo store. Told them my problem. They looked at my camera and turned the batteries around. Everything is OK. 100%. This is what happens when you don't use your camera (my brain) for a long time. Thanks for the input everyone. Happy clicking.
10-03-2008, 03:12 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MacetheAce Quote
Man do I feel STUPID. Went to my local photo store. Told them my problem.
Could have saved time and money by going here. Bookmark this site.
PENTAX MANUALS
Not to mention having to post the above. I hate it when I do that. Some smarta$$ then posts "RTFM", but I'm not going to do that.
10-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did a search on a camera repair forum when I answered your question, to see if someone had photos or better advice. One of the posts said something like this: "If you don't have a manual and are a logical thinker, you'll carefully examine the battery compartment and proceed to install the batteries backward." So I doubt you're the only one.

10-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #9
Banned

that's a beautiful ME you have there, as well as that m 40mm. glad you got it working. I did the same thing with my first pentax film SLR (MX) so don't worry. hell you think that's bad? try figuring out which way the batteries go into an ME F. thare are four of them!
10-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Yep, it happens. I was changing batteries in one of my cameras and got them in backwards 30 seconds after taking the others out. Murphy is always hiding right around the corner.

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
No it doesn't. You only have to do that to keep the meter active once you take your finger off the shutter release button.
To activate the metering you have to press the button gently (just like on modern cameras)
Quoting from the ME manual on page 9, "Pull out the rapid wind lever slightly (30 degrees)(which turns on one of the battery switches), slightly depress the shutter button (which turns on the other battery switch)." This is where the information I wrote in my reply came from. If it works differently from that, great.

CW
10-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #11
Banned

the meter on my ME F works whether the film advance lever is in the 'ready' position or not... but my ME F might work different from the older ME.

just for reference however, my MX (same age as the ME) works just as Dan describes. if the film advance lever is in the closed position I can slightly depress the shutter release and the meter will turn on, once I let off the shutter it cuts off. however if I flip the advance lever into the 'ready' position and then slightly depress the shutter it will lock in this 'half pressed' position and the meter will stay on until the advance lever is returned. at which time the shutter will unlock, pop back up and the meter will cut off.

is this how your ME works dan?
10-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
is this how your ME works dan?
Affirmative.
10-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I may just take my ME out for a stroll today.

Or I could take the SV out.....nobody has ever intalled batteries backwards in an SV.