Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2019, 12:54 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ahh this classic problem, Plenty of good advice above - being aware of the metering systems faults is important, but what is also difficult is nailing the focus on the eyes.

Leica S2 - Leica Summarit-S 70mm f/2.4 ASPH.

03-14-2019, 04:10 PM - 5 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
I photograph a lot of dogs in a lot of situations but I have been asked to photograph a champion standard poodle. This poodle not only has a black coat but is dyed black to be even more, what’s the word? Black!

Secondly when photographing a champion, it has to be posed a very specific way and its mouth cannot be open. No smiling and no panting. To me dogs are like people, they are the most attractive when they are smiling and their tongues are hanging out.

I think she ought to hire a pro and do it a studio but I thought I’d see if anyone here had experienced this problem.
If you spot meter the animal, you will get very printable files. I keep Rottweilers, and find this works quite well.
Also, show dog people are really quite weird. There was a movie a few years back called "Best in Show". It was, I am sure, meant to be a comedy, but my experience as a kennel club member and occasional show dog entrant made me realize it actually was a documentary.
03-14-2019, 04:21 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you spot meter the animal, you will get very printable files. I keep Rottweilers, and find this works quite well.
Also, show dog people are really quite weird. There was a movie a few years back called "Best in Show". It was, I am sure, meant to be a comedy, but my experience as a kennel club member and occasional show dog entrant made me realize it actually was a documentary.
Very funny film, semi-improvised by its talented cast (who also did 'Spinal Tap'), highly recommended if you like that 'mockumentary' style.
03-14-2019, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Very funny film, semi-improvised by its talented cast (who also did 'Spinal Tap'), highly recommended if you like that 'mockumentary' style.
Best in Show, Waiting for Guffman, A Mighty Wind and Spinal Tap; most of the same wonderful ensemble players poking fun at AKC, local theater groups, the folk music revival scene and heavy duty rock and roll (brings out the duty in my soul.) All favorites of mine.

I’m not going to think about this shoot anymore unless she contacts me. The most recent conversation resulted from a chance encounter at the dog wash (and I don’t even have a dog) after not seeing this woman in 4 or 5 months.

Since posting here I’ve looked back into my unorganized files and found the dog park photos I took over several encounters since 2017 of this dog and her other dogs. And recall the owner saying she or her trainer have never been happy with any of the photographers she’s used. That may be a clue.

I’ve been through my collection of dog photographs and figured, “Yeah, I photograph black dogs, white dogs, brown dogs and most dogs pretty good.”

I will keep the exposure tips in mind. Great examples, too.

Last edited by Perfessor5646; 03-14-2019 at 05:23 PM.
03-16-2019, 01:17 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not a black dog, but this one is mine. Rio is 5 3/4 and I love him to bits. Only just got my camera back from service so this is him sporting his Christmas jumper.

K1 + DFA* 50mm 1.4 at f5.6. gridded softbox from left and reflective umbrella as fill from right.

03-16-2019, 09:46 PM   #21
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
Best in Show, Waiting for Guffman, A Mighty Wind and Spinal Tap; most of the same wonderful ensemble players poking fun at AKC, local theater groups, the folk music revival scene and heavy duty rock and roll (brings out the duty in my soul.) All favorites of mine.

I’m not going to think about this shoot anymore unless she contacts me. The most recent conversation resulted from a chance encounter at the dog wash (and I don’t even have a dog) after not seeing this woman in 4 or 5 months.

Since posting here I’ve looked back into my unorganized files and found the dog park photos I took over several encounters since 2017 of this dog and her other dogs. And recall the owner saying she or her trainer have never been happy with any of the photographers she’s used. That may be a clue.

I’ve been through my collection of dog photographs and figured, “Yeah, I photograph black dogs, white dogs, brown dogs and most dogs pretty good.”

I will keep the exposure tips in mind. Great examples, too.
Pretty straight forward in a studio situation. I use a 10'x20 black vinyl background with dancers and multiple strobes with directional light modifiers. The real question is, is she willing to pay for that and spend the necessary time in a session. My hunch is no. And if you want to really expand your quirky animal owner experience, get involved with horse owners or an even more parallel universe, stable owners!
07-01-2019, 01:46 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Epilogue: My Poodle breeder friend ended buying a Canon DSLR locally and a basic studio set up of a couple lights and umbrellas and a background support stand and established a pudle stoodio in her basement. That explains why she asked what software I use. So now she uses Lightroom. All that said she is a wonderfully pleasant and well educated woman of European origin. My bestie and I were invited over Sunday to see the latest litter of 8 new AKC Registered Standard Poodles. She did some very nice puppy portraits for own website.