Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2019, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by R. Wethereyet Quote
How much processing is a very subjective thing. It depends on what you want to portray to your viewer. Do you want a "fair" representation of what the scene looked like through your eyes? Do you want to show the dreamy beauty of the landscape? Do you want to express the dirty grunge of the street scene you captured? Each of these will demand a different level processing. Photography is an art form and as in painting there are those who strive for "realism" and those who are striving for "Fantasy". Each image takes on a life of its own.

John Gringo has a short video on this subject and he has developed a terrific rule of thumb for getting to a good starting point. The rule... err, suggestion is. "1/3 of Too Far!"
Basically, move each of the sliders/settings until you start to cringe, then reset them to 1/3 of the cringe point e.g. If "60" is too much Clarity, then reset it back to around the "20" mark. I've found this to be a good place to start in your post processing.
ANd I always heard, go to far, and then dial it back until you are happy with it. By my standards 1/3 of too far would be extremely flat on many images. Too far for many images is when you start to lose image detail. 1/3 of that is along way back.

Last edited by normhead; 05-18-2019 at 04:40 AM.