Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2019, 11:59 PM   #1
Liney's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,212
Looking for a doodad thingy.....

...because i can't think of the correct term for it.

What I am trying to describe is a device for posing still life macro subjects on a table top environment. I've currently got a small device that was advertised as a workshop third hand, it is a small base with a vertical post upon which is a clamp. The clamp is attached to a ball joint that in turn has a rod onto which I can attach two spring loaded clips. The effect is that I can move one or both of these clips in multiple directions and orientations allowing me to pose whatever it is I am trying to get a macro image of.

The downside is that all the clamps that allow the movement are not easy to move in small increments, and turning the wrong clamp means the carefully selected composition drops out the bottom of the picture!

So for all you who take still life macro images, what can you recommend and more importantly, what is is called? My google magic draws a blank regardless of the search words I use.


06-15-2019, 12:11 AM   #2
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,110
I was thinking "helping hands vise" - this version might be overkill.

GEYOTAR Helping Hands Third Hand Soldering Vise with 6 Flexible Arms Metal Base for Soldering, Assembly, Repair, Modeling, Hobby, Crafts, Jewelry Making - -
06-15-2019, 02:01 AM   #3
Liney's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,212
Original Poster
Thanks for that, the one I currently has is an older version. Could be a good solution

06-15-2019, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
AlwaysAl's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West GTA, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 324
Thinking perhaps a "fly tying vise", lots of variations and often turn up in garage sales, etc.
Also, Jay P Morgan at the "Slanted Lens" and explores lots of creative techniques to hold/pose subjects to get that "shot".
Here's a link to a sample of suspending objects :
His general site: The Slanted Lens - YouTube

06-15-2019, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #5
Senior Member

Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 122
One name for these things is Plamp - short for Plant Clamp. A quick web search will probably throw up links to the Wimberley version.
06-15-2019, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Join Date: Nov 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 71
For table top macro work I use a base-flexible post-clamp device mounted on a mini lazy susan. Once the subject is positioned on the clamp I can rotate the set 360 degrees, so it is very easy to get the right position for the picture.
06-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,679
Try a precision clamp or a gooseneck:
GRS Precision Single Third Hand | Contenti
06-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #8
Liney's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,212
Original Poster
And you now see how easy it is when you know the right word for it!

Many thanks for all the suggestions, I now have a number of leads to follow.


06-15-2019, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #9
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 12,502
Depending on what I am photographing, I use Blu-Tack. It’s great for jewelry.
06-24-2019, 03:16 AM   #10
Liney's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,212
Original Poster
After a bit of digging on the internet I managed to take a trip to the local hardware store (Bunnings} and purchased a bag of sixteen spring clamps of various sizes and three packs of two big foam covered twist ties (850 mm long}. All for the less than $25.

All I need now is time to put them all together. Thanks for the input
06-26-2019, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 50,761
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Looking for a doodad thingy.....
Think I prefer your name... rather than the technical offerings given on this post.
06-26-2019, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #12
35mmfilmfan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 1,796
Isn't it more of a thinjummygig than a doodad ?
06-28-2019, 09:04 PM   #13
Liney's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,212
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Isn't it more of a thinjummygig than a doodad ?
No, definitely a doodad. It would only be a thingummyjig if it was metric rather than imperial and this was a Tuesday.

  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, clamp, clips, device, life, macro, move, photography, technique
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raw and the autofocus thingy beholder3 Pentax K-1 7 04-01-2018 08:31 PM
For Sale - Sold: FREE little plastic thingy for FA-35 f/2.0 lens hood Jamey777 Sold Items 3 09-25-2015 05:30 PM
For Sale - Sold: Bellows II Screw Mount + Slide Thingy Jamey777 Sold Items 3 01-25-2014 05:12 PM
Hood thingy ... er ... vent? Brisboy Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 15 04-06-2013 04:37 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:03 AM. | See also:, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]