Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2019, 11:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Food photography tips requested

Short story - I have been requested to do some food photography. Place in question is a newly opened bar - owner is a good friend of mine so I will be doing this free of charge. I should mention I have never done this before.

I will be using the K-1 and I have the following lenses: DA 15mm, Sigma 35mm Art (probably will not be available, currently sent to service for mount replacement), FA 43, FA 77, Helios 58mm, DFA 24-70mm, DFA 70-200mm.

I also have the Godox AD400 Pro with Xpro-P trigger, a Godox P120L parabolic softbox, a YN 560 III also with trigger and a shoot-through umbrella (actually I think I lost it somewhere but I can get another one).

I have 2 tripods and 3 lightstands.

Any tips or advice how to proceed and what to use? I can get some more gear if required unless it's something expensive - I would prefer to stop spending for a while after I have just purchased the DFA 70-200.

Thank you in advance!

06-30-2019, 01:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soft and diffused light is key especially for glass. You could look at buying a roll of LEE 216 diffusion material and making up a set of scrims using strips of timber, works well. The scrims can be used together. Then add in a snoot (or similar) for concentrated lighting. Black foam board to be used as flags. Cheap acrylic mirror 'glass' to throw back light and gold/silver/white cards to be cut up to feed into the shots for those micro-reflections. And clamps and clamps and more clamps etc to hold the bits in place.

I'd guess you'll be working with your friend/owner to get the shots, so no need of food stylist ;-). I assume he has the ideas about what he wants, if not a ton of research on Instagram etc for examples might pay off.
06-30-2019, 01:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Soft and diffused light is key especially for glass. You could look at buying a roll of LEE 216 diffusion material and making up a set of scrims using strips of timber, works well. The scrims can be used together. Then add in a snoot (or similar) for concentrated lighting.
That sounds great but I'm not sure I can get that material in time. Can't I just use the parabolic softbox that I have? it's huge and gives a wonderful diffused light, assuming that I will not mess up the positioning of the softbox.

Black foam board to be used as flags. Cheap acrylic mirror 'glass' to throw back light and gold/silver/white cards to be cut up to feed into the shots for those micro-reflections.
Can you please add some details? I'm not a native speaker and pretty much don't know the terms used in product photography.

Are those instructions to build some kind of a tent to put the food in? or is it more like a softbox contraption?

I'd guess you'll be working with your friend/owner to get the shots, so no need of food stylist ;-). I assume he has the ideas about what he wants, if not a ton of research on Instagram etc for examples might pay off.

Yes, everything related to how the food will look is his job. I already suggested him to take a look on the net/instagram and give me some examples.

Thanks for the tips!
06-30-2019, 03:43 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd recommend close-focusing, fast, wide-ish lenses. A nice (preferably themed according to the type of food) background with smooth bokeh and a little bit of perspective distortion can make for really good photos. The Sigma 35mm might be a great choice to that end.

That said, when it comes to food photography it's often about being in the right place at the right time. Phones therefore shouldn't be underestimated for this purpose.

06-30-2019, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've heard a couple of food pro togs talk about their art.

Use flash because it's reproducible. The whole menu looks consistent, and when you come back in three months time because some new dishes have been added, the shots fit in with what's happened beforehand.

The basic idea is a big soft light from one direction only, with some fill from the opposite side. It's important to do this to reveal the texture of the food, there must be shadows and highlights.

Dark brown foods are a problem, they look like ... um, I won't say it, just unappealing, so you must expose for those highlights.
06-30-2019, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
That sounds great but I'm not sure I can get that material in time. Can't I just use the parabolic softbox that I have? it's huge and gives a wonderful diffused light, assuming that I will not mess up the positioning of the softbox.

Can you please add some details? I'm not a native speaker and pretty much don't know the terms used in product photography.

Are those instructions to build some kind of a tent to put the food in? or is it more like a softbox contraption?

Yes, everything related to how the food will look is his job. I already suggested him to take a look on the net/instagram and give me some examples.

Thanks for the tips!
The scrims just add some cheap, extra options, eg positioning overhead, held in front of other lights to diffuse further, etc. Large softboxes are fine. With scrims there are some more options.

The cards and acryllic mirrors etc are things like these (not recommending these items specifically as I just searched on the US site for examples.) These cheap items can be cut up and placed into the food shots to give small extra lights then edited out in post.

amazon.com: 12 x 12 Acrylic Mirror Sheet by Laser Creations: Gateway?tag=pentaxforums-20&

amazon.com: Hygloss Products Mirror Board Sheets - For Arts and Crafts, 12 x 12 in, Gold, 10 Pack?tag=pentaxforums-20&

and

amazon.com : Pacon Foam Board, White, 22?tag=pentaxforums-20&" x 28", 5 Sheets : Gateway

The two beer photos are a finished beer shot and one that made up the composite showing a reflector card being used.
The ice shot used multiple scrims to soften the reflections coming off the glass. Every item requires a different set-up and arrangement.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-03-2019, 12:32 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Great demonstration of engineering highlights and shadows to make the subjects really 3D, Barry!

07-03-2019, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Great demonstration of engineering highlights and shadows to make the subjects really 3D, Barry!
Thanks Clackers. If only the beer had been drinkable afterwards after all the dark arts to keep it looking fresh ;-)
07-03-2019, 02:45 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Clackers. If only the beer had been drinkable afterwards after all the dark arts to keep it looking fresh ;-)
Yes, I've heard the experts talk about the tricks their hired food stylists do, Barry!

For all we know, that's soy sauce and water in your beer glass, sprayed on glycerin droplets for condensation, and shaving cream for foam!

To be fair, that would still taste better than Foster's Lager.

Last edited by clackers; 07-03-2019 at 02:26 PM.
07-03-2019, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, I've heard the experts talk about the tricks their hired food stylists do, Barry!

For all we know, that's soy sauce and water in your beer glass, sprayed on glycerin droplets for condensation, and shaving cream for foam!
And watered down Elmers white glue on the cereal in the bowl. Real milk is too bluish white on camera.
07-03-2019, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
And watered down Elmers white glue on the cereal in the bowl. Real milk is too bluish white on camera.
Amazing that we still look at the picture on the box of some frozen TV dinner to decide if we buy it or not.

07-05-2019, 08:52 AM - 2 Likes   #12

I would recommend popping over to YouTube and searching for a channel called "TheBiteShot"" - a lady named Joannie does a great job of explaining the details of food photography. I am sure you will find a few tips & tricks there.
07-09-2019, 03:54 AM   #13

I like the close focus, but maybe you could try and make it a little lighter. Like the background..