Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First Wedding Shoot

All,

I have been volunteered (from "I'll bring my camera and take a few photos" to "Hi, your niece listed you as her photographer") to take pictures for my niece's wedding. I am doing a standard disclaimer to her (my first time; strictly a beginner / experimental basis; etc.) but I am now looking at the technical side of the experience. I am planning to take my Pentax K-3, 2-3 lenses, flash (though I prefer natural light, and the venue is well-illuminated), 3 charged camera batteries, extra flash batteries, and four (two primary, two backup) memory cards. I have an Adaptall SP 60-300 which has a good macro function, and I am taking my Sigma 17-50mm DC EX HSM. I don't have any primes currently, and I primarily shoot zoom, regardless.

Other than arriving at the venue early to test light and other logistics, do you have any recommendations?

07-10-2019, 10:30 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I brought two of my cameras along to a friend's wedding once. One was a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye, loaded up with 120 film on it's 620 spools. The other was my 1965 Canon Pellix QL 35mm. I had a 50mm and a 135mm lens for the Canon. I'm not sure what the brownie is, but fairly wide.. with a fixed shutter speed of 100, and an aperture of whatever the heck it is.
I also brought along 1/2 dozen "disposable" cameras that I grabbed from the recycle bins at the photolab I worked in, and filled with fresh batteries, and Ilford HP5 film.
I shot with my own cameras. I think 2 rolls of Kodak Tri-X 120 (so 24 exposures at 6x6cm) and 6 rolls of bulk-loaded Ilford Delta 400.. so 34-38 per roll so a bit over 210, maybe as many as 220 35mm shots there.
The disposable cameras I handed off to other people, mainly kids. Out of the rolls from the disposable, I probably got 30-40 usable shots. Out of the 240+ I shot between the other two cameras, I probably ended up with another 10 120's, and 60-70 35mm shots.
All-in-all, 120-ish decent shots to include in the album I gave them.
It was all black & white.
I processed all the film & made contact sheets right away, but it was 9 years before I got them finished work on CD and prints. (I gave it to them on their 9th anniversary.)
They were floored. It was a lot more photos, and better quality photos, than they got from the photographer they paid. (Their words)

So.. don't go thinking you won't do a good job!
If you can recruit a little help with disposables, it's not a bad idea...and if you get COLOR ones.. you can have them developed & scanned to disk etc.. easily enough.
Look for things that will make memories of the day.. not ALL people, but they're the most important thing. If you can get the cake, any really nice outfits etc.., that's great too. It's a day full of candids.. a bit like street photography for much of it. Because you're "the" photographer.. you should probably pose them for a few important shots. Do so before they get wasted at the reception.

If you're having fun doing the photography, it'll probably come through in the work... so enjoy! Don't get messed up yourself until you stop shooting.
07-10-2019, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
All,

I have been volunteered (from "I'll bring my camera and take a few photos" to "Hi, your niece listed you as her photographer") to take pictures for my niece's wedding.
Other than arriving at the venue early to test light and other logistics, do you have any recommendations?
a) Are you the only photographer? If not, I'd survey the main photographer so that you can get the shots they can't (different angle, candid moments, behind-the-scenes, etc).
b) If you are the only 'official' photographer, then you really will want a back up camera; Murphy's Law. Any key components, like batteries, should have a backup for redundancy.
c) Who volunteered you? Having one person that can be your second set of eyes to make sure you don't exclude someone, what's his name?, 'they want you in the dressing room now', etc.
d) Are you doing this for free? If not, how are you compensated?
e) What are their expectations of how they will receive your images? Printed? Digital files?
f) Are you planning on doing the post-processing too? If so, then definitely shoot RAW. If not and they just want finished images the next day, then consider shooting the highest quality jpegs.
07-10-2019, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

I've shot two weddings before. My most used lens at both was a F 50mm f/1.7. On aps-c, this lens makes a beautiful portrait lens.
I'd suggest getting even the very affordable DA 50mm f/1.8, or if you want something a bit fancier maybe an FA 50mm f/1.4.
Practice shots (with/without flash) will save you headaches!

07-10-2019, 11:23 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

All,

I have been volunteered (from "I'll bring my camera and take a few photos" to "Hi, your niece listed you as her photographer") to take pictures for my niece's wedding. I am doing a standard disclaimer to her (my first time; strictly a beginner / experimental basis; etc.) but I am now looking at the technical side of the experience. I am planning to take my Pentax K-3, 2-3 lenses, flash (though I prefer natural light, and the venue is well-illuminated), 3 charged camera batteries, extra flash batteries, and four (two primary, two backup) memory cards. I have an Adaptall SP 60-300 which has a good macro function, and I am taking my Sigma 17-50mm DC EX HSM. I don't have any primes currently, and I primarily shoot zoom, regardless.

Run away.
07-10-2019, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

MY biggest suggestion, get some kind of book of wedding photos or an on-line one, and find out what the clients expect. It's good information for you as well.
07-10-2019, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heebie Quote
I brought two of my cameras along to a friend's wedding once. One was a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye, loaded up with 120 film on it's 620 spools. The other was my 1965 Canon Pellix QL 35mm. I had a 50mm and a 135mm lens for the Canon. I'm not sure what the brownie is, but fairly wide.. with a fixed shutter speed of 100, and an aperture of whatever the heck it is.
I also brought along 1/2 dozen "disposable" cameras that I grabbed from the recycle bins at the photolab I worked in, and filled with fresh batteries, and Ilford HP5 film.
I shot with my own cameras. I think 2 rolls of Kodak Tri-X 120 (so 24 exposures at 6x6cm) and 6 rolls of bulk-loaded Ilford Delta 400.. so 34-38 per roll so a bit over 210, maybe as many as 220 35mm shots there.
The disposable cameras I handed off to other people, mainly kids. Out of the rolls from the disposable, I probably got 30-40 usable shots. Out of the 240+ I shot between the other two cameras, I probably ended up with another 10 120's, and 60-70 35mm shots.
All-in-all, 120-ish decent shots to include in the album I gave them.
It was all black & white.
I processed all the film & made contact sheets right away, but it was 9 years before I got them finished work on CD and prints. (I gave it to them on their 9th anniversary.)
They were floored. It was a lot more photos, and better quality photos, than they got from the photographer they paid. (Their words)

So.. don't go thinking you won't do a good job!
If you can recruit a little help with disposables, it's not a bad idea...and if you get COLOR ones.. you can have them developed & scanned to disk etc.. easily enough.
Look for things that will make memories of the day.. not ALL people, but they're the most important thing. If you can get the cake, any really nice outfits etc.., that's great too. It's a day full of candids.. a bit like street photography for much of it. Because you're "the" photographer.. you should probably pose them for a few important shots. Do so before they get wasted at the reception.

If you're having fun doing the photography, it'll probably come through in the work... so enjoy! Don't get messed up yourself until you stop shooting.
All very good advice! And the story is fantastic.

I plan to pose all of the important shots before the ceremony, even. The bride wants to use a local park, which is fine with me. That should make for good lighting, and unhurried (relatively) shots.

---------- Post added 07-10-19 at 12:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
a) Are you the only photographer? If not, I'd survey the main photographer so that you can get the shots they can't (different angle, candid moments, behind-the-scenes, etc).
b) If you are the only 'official' photographer, then you really will want a back up camera; Murphy's Law. Any key components, like batteries, should have a backup for redundancy.
c) Who volunteered you? Having one person that can be your second set of eyes to make sure you don't exclude someone, what's his name?, 'they want you in the dressing room now', etc.
d) Are you doing this for free? If not, how are you compensated?
e) What are their expectations of how they will receive your images? Printed? Digital files?
f) Are you planning on doing the post-processing too? If so, then definitely shoot RAW. If not and they just want finished images the next day, then consider shooting the highest quality jpegs.
(a) I am the only one, except for a friend that has a point-and-shoot digital. I'm also thinking about either 4-5 disposable film or 1-2 relatively inexpensive P&S digitals to give to my daughters (who know the basics).

(b) I see I can rent a KP for a week for about $60. I also own a functioning k100d and a K2000, but I think I would want one that's at least the MP and resolution of my K-3.

(c) I will use my 12-year old and a list provided by the bride for shots. She's given me a list of her desired shots, and I know enough of the immediate family to sense if anyone is missing. My 12-year-old is going to stick to the bride like glue, I think.

(d) For free, as far as I know. I'm sure I will be compensated in some small way, but they don't have much money at all, so it's me or nobody or cell phones at this point.

(e) Digital, either on thumb drive or in the cloud.

(f) I have two 128-gb cards. I plan to load RAW on one and JPEG on the other. I'm not planning on doing PP, but that's something I need to discuss with her.

Thanks for the things to consider!

---------- Post added 07-10-19 at 12:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Run away.
Too late!

---------- Post added 07-10-19 at 12:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
MY biggest suggestion, get some kind of book of wedding photos or an on-line one, and find out what the clients expect. It's good information for you as well.
Will do - thank you! Good advice.

07-10-2019, 01:11 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Too late!
OK.

I'm sure you will get lots of advice about what shots to get, I won't bore you with that.

You want to limit lens changes, so your 17-50 is going to be your best friend. You can probably do the entire day with that one lens.

If anyone notices you shooting during the service, you have failed. You are not part of the show, don't become what you are not.

Your niece is not the customer, her mother is. Keep this in mind always.

Don't try to be cute with your flash. If you don't have a bounce card, don't try to bounce your flash. You don't have enough power. Trust me on this.
If you are shoe mounting your flash, keep the camera horizontal. A shoe mounted flash with the camera turned vertically gives pictures that scream "I don't know what the hell I'm doing". Shoot horizontal and crop to vertical later if you need to.

When shooting outdoor portraits, keep your subjects in the shade with the sun behind them. Use a reflector rather than fill flash if you can manage it, otherwise use enough fill to put some catchlights into their eyes and no more.

Consider that it is never too late to run away.
07-10-2019, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have been volunteered
When i was younger I too was "volunteered" to shoot a friends wedding. Never again.

There is a reason wedding photographers make a living out of what they do, it is called experience. If you can shadow a pro at a number of events then you can have the confidence to take it on. Otherwise you risk always being remembered as the guy that produced "so-so pictures of my wedding". It has nothing to do with equipment and all about how you can organise bride/groom and wedding party to pose for pictures. If I sound negative it is because I mean to be. Do not take this on unless you are confident.

I get asked about once a year and my first reply now is enough that they do not ask again.
07-10-2019, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Go to the rehearsal and take some photos, hindsight is always 20/20. That will give you a chance to try some things and see how they work out.
07-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
OK.

I'm sure you will get lots of advice about what shots to get, I won't bore you with that.

You want to limit lens changes, so your 17-50 is going to be your best friend. You can probably do the entire day with that one lens.

If anyone notices you shooting during the service, you have failed. You are not part of the show, don't become what you are not.

Your niece is not the customer, her mother is. Keep this in mind always.

Don't try to be cute with your flash. If you don't have a bounce card, don't try to bounce your flash. You don't have enough power. Trust me on this.
If you are shoe mounting your flash, keep the camera horizontal. A shoe mounted flash with the camera turned vertically gives pictures that scream "I don't know what the hell I'm doing". Shoot horizontal and crop to vertical later if you need to.

When shooting outdoor portraits, keep your subjects in the shade with the sun behind them. Use a reflector rather than fill flash if you can manage it, otherwise use enough fill to put some catchlights into their eyes and no more.

Consider that it is never too late to run away.
(1) Thanks for the advice re: 17-50. It's a newer lens.

And I decided to rent a KP and have wife or daughter be a second shooter. Too many angles, too few arms.

(2) I generally don't love flash. if I must, I will keep your advice re: bounce and horizontal in mind. I do have a bounce card in my flash, but it's not the best.

(3) Thank you re: sun behind. Definitely keep that in mind, as well.
07-10-2019, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I took some behind the scenes shots at a few events. They are terrible. It’s a special skill to do this.

Run away.
07-10-2019, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
When i was younger I too was "volunteered" to shoot a friends wedding. Never again.

There is a reason wedding photographers make a living out of what they do, it is called experience. If you can shadow a pro at a number of events then you can have the confidence to take it on. Otherwise you risk always being remembered as the guy that produced "so-so pictures of my wedding". It has nothing to do with equipment and all about how you can organise bride/groom and wedding party to pose for pictures. If I sound negative it is because I mean to be. Do not take this on unless you are confident.

I get asked about once a year and my first reply now is enough that they do not ask again.
I appreciate the advice, and the warning.

---------- Post added 07-10-19 at 03:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I took some behind the scenes shots at a few events. They are terrible. It’s a special skill to do this.

Run away.
I've done a couple non-wedding events (large parties, fund-raisers, family gatherings, concerts) and the people have been generally pleased. More to the point, I've been pleased, and I've worked with more seasoned photographers when doing them.

---------- Post added 07-10-19 at 03:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
Go to the rehearsal and take some photos, hindsight is always 20/20. That will give you a chance to try some things and see how they work out.
I've been considering that, actually. Thank you for the thought and confirmation.
07-10-2019, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

get a list of the must photograph people and some one to help you id them if you don't know them

don't want great aunt Edna, from the other family, mad when you refuse to take the time to photograph her with the wedding cake

trust me, I know.

[ run away, fast and far ]
07-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
get a list of the must photograph people and some one to help you id them if you don't know them

don't want great aunt edna mad from the other family when you refuse to take the time to photograph her with the wedding cake

trust me, I know.

[ run away, fast and far ]
I have said list in hand already!