Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 04:46 AM   #16
Pentaxian

It may not be particularly the polarizing state on the glasses that is occurring, but the effect seems similar on colours and contrast, this is what I would like to have in camera filter... but I don't know exactly what it is you're right !
One should get very large "polarized" glasses to try on front of the lens !

10-10-2019, 04:56 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by agukha Quote
It may not be particularly the polarizing state on the glasses that is occurring, but the effect seems similar on colours and contrast, this is what I would like to have in camera filter... but I don't know exactly what it is you're right !
One should get very large "polarized" glasses to try on front of the lens !
not necessary to get a large one

if you use the right lens
10-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure sunglasses polarizers are designed to give the WOW impact when you look through them, no thought for colour accuracy.

And each pair has been different in its impact. But it is nowhere near an accurate representation of colour.

But I certainly appreciate their colour rendition, just not for my photos. I like them more natural, just less reflections. Personal choice.

Greg
04-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #19
Banned

I was searching for a thread about new contemporary sunglasses but found only this one. Do you guys know the best sunglasses for photographing at the moment? I heard that wearing sunglasses during taking photos messes with color vision, and you start to see things that the camera isn't seeing (like cross-polarized reflections in glass) and they look so cool and make the shoot fresh but after looking at the photo you wonder why I'm not seeing it in my pictures. And if you use a polarizer on your lens, you potentially have two polarizers interacting. What is your opinion? And if you do wear sunglasses in this case then which ones?

Last edited by Parallax; 05-23-2020 at 06:17 PM. Reason: SPAM link removed
05-20-2020, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You might try looking at your photographs with polarised sunglasses on, if expectations aren’t met. Alternatively, fit a non-circular polarising filter to the lens, look through the viewfinder while wearing polarised sunglasses and rotate the lens filter until the image goes black. After that, any image is gonna look better than what you see in the viewfinder and less likely to disappoint.

Seriously, making photos while wearing sunglasses is best left to the tourist; you’re not going to have a decent idea of what you’re photographing in the first place. Shades go back on after photographing.

Last edited by StiffLegged; 05-20-2020 at 03:25 AM.
07-28-2020, 12:32 AM   #21
Pentaxian

My solution, for what it's worth, is to change over to manual focus (if necessary) and use an "old-school" linear polariser.
My reasoning was this :-
I've got one, let's try it ... yippee it worked
'Old-style' polarisers are almost given away on eBay etc., so acquiring one (or more) in every size is a real possibility!
I've read "somewhere authoritative" that Pentax cameras don't actually need circular polarisers, due to the "different" way they operate, compared to other manufacturers.

Why would I want/need two filters the same size? Stack them and instant variable ND filter

As for wearing polarising sunglasses whilst using a DSLR ... non-starter. Both the optical viewfinder and the rear screen have built-in polarising filters, for various technical reasons (try watching a flat-screen TV with your sunglasses on)

Inevitably - YMMV

Last edited by kypfer; 07-28-2020 at 12:39 AM.
07-28-2020, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #22
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
try to shoot a picture through your sunglasses to see if they really help.
I have tried doing that with my phone - and at best I end up with a slight tint (and some distortions and reflections due to curved "glass" and too long a distance between lens and filter). But the image is just as flat. My conclusion is that there is nothing magical about my sunglasses, and that the explanation lies here:

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
the superb detector in the back of and behind your eyes.

08-04-2020, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It is mid summer here in Europe, very sunny days, early sunrises and late sunsets, also a period of the year when a lot of people become tourist traveling to nice sight seeing destinations (you see what I mean...).
Lots of sun is nice, set your camera to 100 ISO, unfortunately daylight shots don't look good, intense highlight, black shadows, with atmospheric haze on top.
You will say: "it's easy, just screw a polar filter on your lens".

Using a CPL means:
- losing 1 stop of light (Ok, if there is plenty of sun)
- having to rotate and double guess what the right amount of rotation should be
- getting a little less haze, a little more saturation, not a huge improvement
- and, non uniform effect with a wide angle / wide field of view

On the contrary, I'm impressed by what I see with my sun glasses, the pictures taken by the camera even with using a CPL are never as good as what I see with sunglasses, often lead to being disappointing by the photographs compared to what I saw when wearing sunglasses. So does anyone know what the difference of secret recipe between sun glasses and photographic polar filters sold? Should I bring my Pentax K1 to the eye doctor and ask for a special summer monocular prescription?
The difference is that your eyes continuously adjust to changing conditions, giving you the false impression they are doing a better job than the polarizing filter on your camera, which doesn't have the ability to scan various portions of the scene, make adjustments to each one and feed an idealized image to your brain.