Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #1

Family Pictures

Hey all,

I'm going to be doing photos of my extended family in the next few weeks and I'd like to start getting prepared for it. We've got a total of 13 people. 3 of them are 5 and under. 1 is a newborn. The rest are adults. Photos will be outside, likely in a forest preserve. I'm less concerned about lighting tips than I am composition. With this many people I'll likely need to do 2 or 3 rows, which means an aperture of f/8 or f/11. I don't have a lot of experience photographing people, but I've read the Zeltsman approach to classical portraiture, and I plan on advising everyone to wear long sleeve dark colors (preferably black). Am I accurate with what I've got so far? What else do I need to be aware of?

I don't have the lighting equipment to add flash to the pictures, but I do have a single strobe with an umbrella that I can use for the smaller family units.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help!

07-22-2019, 03:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"everyone to wear long sleeve dark colors (preferably black)" what is the occasion? Any reason why black? never heard of that, just curious.
07-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
Everything Ive read suggests dark or subdued colors. Plus Im a heavy guy and black is slimming.

07-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
Forum Member

Thirteen is a nice size group. In my experience you will need to work fast as you really can't keep peoples attention for more than a minute - especially children. Before posing anyone, look at the subjects and decide on a plan, then do it. If you are quick and confident everyone will be comfortable and look good.

07-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
So, to give you guys an idea of the family units that are a part of the picture weve got my mom, my two brothers, our three spouses.

So a family of one.
A family of three (adult child)
A family of four (teen child and toddler/pre-K)
A family of five (mine, 5 yo, 3 yo, newborn)

How would you guys arrange everyone?

My mom is really short - like 43. My brothers are around the same height I am - 59. Our spouses are in between our mom and us heightwise. And all the kids are average for their age.

07-23-2019, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

Go ahead and do your group shot, of course, but do several, regroup the people in between shots, etc. But I'd say more than that, try to figure out how the people are related and make pictures of sub-groups, selecting for some common factor - e.g., all the grandparents in one shot; all the kids in a different shot; individual family groups together, etc. If you take a lot of pictures, you may get a few that are keepers.