Posing App ? Applications sur Google*Play

10-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
For beginners, have a look at this app:

Posing App ? Applications sur Google*Play
Argh, this would've been useful to me a few weeks ago. I might have to look into it anyway, though, I don't typically do posed shots (mostly candids) and so I tend to struggle when having to actually get people to pose. My wallet's a little light so I haven't got the cash to hire a model to help with this, so things like this thread really help.
10-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd second and third the suggestion to find an experienced model at first and pay for the session, you'll get experience in exchange. And always remember -- no matter the experience level of your model -- that you are collaborating, and you should be working together on poses, not just telling them what to do; you'll get better photos and learn more if you bring the model's ideas into the session, as well as earning a positive reputation.

Actually, that was advice I got from a pro model early on, which was, "Work with a variety of models and earn a reputation for professionalism, that will take you farther. Be a photographer not just a guy with a camera (GWC)."
10-23-2019, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Argh, this would've been useful to me a few weeks ago. I might have to look into it anyway, though, I don't typically do posed shots (mostly candids) and so I tend to struggle when having to actually get people to pose. My wallet's a little light so I haven't got the cash to hire a model to help with this, so things like this thread really help.
Look into some of the photography MeetUp groups.

We started one here last year emphasizing portrait work and have managed to get a half dozen models to regularly contribute their time. We'll generally have at last 6-12 photographers at each of them and anywhere from 3 to as many as 5 models. A couple of the models are very experienced and need little to no direction which is a big assist when you're just starting out with the genre.

FWIW one of the other local Meetup groups will get 2-3 dozen models for one of it's annual events, with photographer numbers limited to no more than 3 per model, two preferred.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-04-2020 at 06:47 PM.
10-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote

We started one here last year emphasizing portrait work and have managed to get a half dozen models to regularly contribute their time. We'll generally have at last 6-12 photographers at each of them and anywhere from 3 to as many as 5 at one of them. A couple of the models are very experienced and need little to no direction which is a big assist when you're just starting out with the genre.

FWIW one of the local shoots will get 2-3 dozen models for one of it's annual events, with photographer numbers limited to no more than 3 per model, two preferred.
Interesting, I'll have to look into this. Thanks!
10-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Nobody yet?
QuoteOriginally posted by JustDisGuy Quote
I’d like to start shooting people
Phrasing, man ;D sorry for the taking-it-out-of-context-joke

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There's real.. candids and posed portraits.
Let's not get confused.
These folks are posing.... my shots of them posing are candids.
Haha, one of my favourite sub-genres of photography: shooting the shooters.

QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
Be a photographer not just a guy with a camera (GWC)."
Actually that's how I feel very often. I have so much left to learn, I sometimes wonder if I have learned anything at all in the time I have been pushing down the shutter button.

I feel like I enjoy taking pictures of people the most (especially friends and family), but think of myself of more of a documentary guy. I have toyed with the idea of a TFP shoot, but never really seriously yet. Perhaps I should try it, what's to lose?
10-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are all great! Gonna have to take some time to look through everything and watch the videos when I get home.
01-04-2020, 06:42 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Look for videos on posing by Roberto Valenzuela or Lindsay Adler

01-05-2020, 09:33 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
+1 ! we have one here and it's been a good experience all around.....learn something new every time from more experienced folks who attend especially in terms of posing whether it be a photographer or model.....it's helped me a lot but still need to acquire 'posing' skills