Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To Perth Pentaxians - which TAFE for digital photography course?

I would like to take part time studies on a digital photography course. I checked with some TAFE, 2 nights parttime for 6 months is about A$600 course fee.

I also met with several student photographers during my photo outings and all of them indicated that one must first start off with a film camera and spend time in the darkrooms during the first 6 months of the course. Then only can one proceed to do digital.

If possible, I would not want to get a film camera (since I am saving up for my k20D). Is there any TAFE in Perth that has a digital photography course?

Thanks.

10-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I would highly recommend The Photography Institute.

flash_AS_detection

I have done my Diploma in Professional Photography through them and George is an absolute genious with huge credentials and industry experience.

George will teach you more then a second class photography teacher at TAFE could ever hope to.
10-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link but that institute is in NSW. I am in perth.
10-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Thanks for the link but that institute is in NSW. I am in perth.
its an online course, you can atend it from anywhere

10-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It is better to read and study on your own.

I met a lecturer of photography that taught in 2 universities and 1 TAFE here through work. He told me that photography courses and diploma he had been teaching was purely a waste of money for these rich kids etc.

You get the idea.
10-13-2008, 04:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
I would highly recommend The Photography Institute.

flash_AS_detection

I have done my Diploma in Professional Photography through them and George is an absolute genious with huge credentials and industry experience.

George will teach you more then a second class photography teacher at TAFE could ever hope to.
That looks like an interesting course. Cost worthy too. The only question the site didn't answer was if this 'Diploma' is recognised throughout the country.

Also, I'm not sure you should label all TAFE teachers as second class.
10-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

What do you want out of the course???

If it's Nationally recognised qualifications then that's one thing - but if you're just after a better understanding of Digital Photography and the basics of things like Photoshop, then there's a whole range of options that don't involve the formalities of TAFE.

There's quite a few local Perth Photographers doing intro and intermediate courses and with quite a few of these you can pick and choose courses that lean more towards portraits, landscapes, commercial ..... etc styles.

So, what are you after from a course?

10-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No. I am not after nationally recognized qualifications.

I am also not interested in skills such as digital processing and photoshop.

I just want a good study in exposure. I want to be able to shoot in manual mode (i.e. adjust aperture, shutter speed, EV, etc) and be good at it. Now I am relying heavily towards Av and Tv modes.
10-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
No. I am not after nationally recognized qualifications.

I am also not interested in skills such as digital processing and photoshop.

I just want a good study in exposure. I want to be able to shoot in manual mode (i.e. adjust aperture, shutter speed, EV, etc) and be good at it. Now I am relying heavily towards Av and Tv modes.
In that case there's a number of photographers and studios that run courses to get you familiar and happy with full manual operation of your camera.

Two that I can think of off the top of my head are:

Courses

Camera Club - Perth Western Australia

I guess it'll come down where you are, what's close enough and $$ and time available. Could be worth checking out local photogrpahy shops and studios in your area to see who is running what.

The other option is to join groups like Strobist and various Perth based Flickr groups and go along to outings and ask a lot of questions. Nothing beats hands on playing around and seeing the changes various settings make 1st hand.
10-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I suppose the course may be costly to some, but they just debit it $50 each week so I don;t really notice it and it covers more then just the basics, and your depth of knowledge will cover all facets of photography and give you an exceptional understanding of all the elements involved in a taking a photograph.