Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In addition to the things mentioned, were you having trouble with camera or subject movement?

10-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Another thing to ponder is that if it was a stinking hot day there may have been enough dust, haze or shimmer in the air to cause some focusing problems, in which case you'd certainly have trouble with a wide aperture. Definitely agree with Peter - use a tripod, mate, with SR off. I'm also convinced state of mind plays a part. If I'm tense, striving for "the perfect take," I just churn out crap, whereas when I'm relaxed and just enjoying the process I get much better results.

Also, in one of my books the author recommends using a UV filter just for protection and taking it off when you're ready to start shooting. I've noticed a slight improvement since I started doing that. It only takes a few seconds.

Last edited by Wombat; 10-24-2008 at 06:55 PM.
11-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #18
Inactive Account

I feel your pain, marlon.
For some ungodly reason my wider shots (esp. outdoor) don't come out very well, they seem out of focus or just not sharp enough.
But, my macro, up-close stuff is very good, imho (product photos and food photos for my food blog)

I know I need to take some photography classes and hone my skills, for I know little of aperature and f-stops. *sigh*
But taking care of two businesses is wreaking havoc with my time.
So...all my outdoor shots are upclose shots of random nature. bah.
11-06-2008, 03:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Niki Quote
I feel your pain, marlon.
For some ungodly reason my wider shots (esp. outdoor) don't come out very well, they seem out of focus or just not sharp enough.
But, my macro, up-close stuff is very good, imho (product photos and food photos for my food blog)

I know I need to take some photography classes and hone my skills, for I know little of aperature and f-stops. *sigh*
But taking care of two businesses is wreaking havoc with my time.
So...all my outdoor shots are upclose shots of random nature. bah.
what lens are you using?

and are you implementing any lens hoods?

11-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
what lens are you using?

and are you implementing any lens hoods?
typically I just leave on the 18-55 kit lens unless I have the forethought to actually remove my newer 50-200 from the camera bag and put it on =/
and yes, for the lens hood.
I rarely take it off unless using flash, which Im very opposed to using unless forced by gunpoint.
11-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #21
Igilligan

I agree...

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Another thing to ponder is that if it was a stinking hot day there may have been enough dust, haze or shimmer in the air to cause some focusing problems, in which case you'd certainly have trouble with a wide aperture. Definitely agree with Peter - use a tripod, mate, with SR off. I'm also convinced state of mind plays a part. If I'm tense, striving for "the perfect take," I just churn out crap, whereas when I'm relaxed and just enjoying the process I get much better results.

Also, in one of my books the author recommends using a UV filter just for protection and taking it off when you're ready to start shooting. I've noticed a slight improvement since I started doing that. It only takes a few seconds.
If it was really blazing hot... the longer shots may have some heatwave issues. I have seen it is enough to mess with fine detail at medium to longer zooms.

Also take off the cheap UV... no point in sticking a nickels worth of glass on the front of an expensive lens... you end up with a nickels worth of photos!
11-06-2008, 03:35 PM   #22
Inactive Account

That might be part of my problem in some instances as well...and here I thought I was protecting my lens.

11-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
If it was really blazing hot... the longer shots may have some heatwave issues. I have seen it is enough to mess with fine detail at medium to longer zooms.
Hah! Check this out, from a rally a couple of weeks ago. This is a 100% crop that has not otherwise been processed in any way. Nor was camera shake or subject motion or any lens defect the problem. The effect you see here is due solely to heatwave issues. Note that if you're thinking of making a joke about "hot air", others have beat you to it :-)

11-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Troll alert!
Wow, you're a newbie to the forum and you're spouting a lot of crap and garbage about digital photography that is clearly untrue, as is some of your other postings so far on other threads.
What I keep thinking when I see one of his posts is, "where did an eight year old get so much experience with film?"
11-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #25
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Marc, I think Creampuff deleted his post. Who are you referring to?
11-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Marc, I think Creampuff deleted his post. Who are you referring to?
The same guy who has posted about a dozen other messages in various threads under a couple of different names today (in poor grammar and with childishly bad prose), all ridiculing the very idea of digital photography.
12-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #27

Hi all,
For what it's worth.... a blazing hot day? If you were some distance away from the objects being photographed - (can't view the pics for some reason), what about heat haze being a contributing factor?

Doh! should have read the second page on the subject before posting! Some small consolation - others thought the same, re the heat haze possibly.

Last edited by CertEdFriday; 12-02-2008 at 12:52 PM.