Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another "Advise on shooting a Wedding" thread.

I am shooting a friend's daughters wedding in a two weeks. I will be trying somethings out with off camera flashes. I have a K10-Sigma 500 super and Pentax 540 - Cactus triggers and 2-30" umbrella's. I have done a few weddings and they know I am not a pro. They are like everyone else, on a budget and know I can shoot. Funny, I shot there first daughters wedding 9 years ago with film . They loved what I did, I thought it was a disaster . Everything looked okay but I am 1000 times more prepared than I was for that one. I went to the location and took some shots of where I will be shooting. Shooting a wedding Prep - a set on Flickr

The ceremony will be at 5:30pm EST and is a JP and quick and sweet in that little gazeebo. They said about 15 minutes. So on the date if weather is okay (fingers crossed) I will have a half hour, maybe forty five minutes of day light left after the ceremony. I have ideas and will be practicing but any thoughts comments or insight would be great on shooting outside. I will have shots behind the gazeebo and maybe on the practice green scene in th pictures. I have thoughts on goofy shots with fishing gears as the groom loves to fish. I will be and have been scanning the net and have lots of thoughts. But, I figured I would try here as you all always have thoughts that are always great. Thanks in advance.

10-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #2

First off good luck on the wedding. I've done a few outdoor events myself and the lighting later in the day can be tricky. Depending on the angle of the light you may want to use a reflector to bounce the light to fill in the afternoon shadows vice using a flash as the fill might be to much. Later when you are indoors try using trailing flash, I've found that works really well in the dimmer light with lots of moving people.

Good idea to do those test shots. Have you thought about going back with a few faimly members to try to stage the shots you may take so you can figure out what challenges you'll face?

Good luck.

Shawn
10-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have and if time allows I will. The shoot is in Ct. Manchester CC maybe near you. I would like to try some trailing flash for sure. Any tips you want to share from your use?
10-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Good luck Pat.
It sounds like you should be able to light the gazebo with what you have, you might want to check to see if there are lights on the gazebo that automatically go on, you might not actually want them on.

10-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Shoot RAW but you probably already know that.
Avoid mixing lighting sources as much as possible; if you have to do it, try to gel your flashes to match so you can adjust WB later or power up your flashes enough to drown out the ambient light in the area you care about (looks like the chandeliers are incandescent).
Drag your shutter down to 1/45s and run a higher ISO to let more ambient in where you have darker areas (like indoors).
Take multiple pictures to avoid blinks because digital storage is nearly free.
Have a backup body and lens setup.
Do the artsy stuff before the ceremony starts so you don't forget.

Looks like that area might have great foliage in a few weeks and I think you have it easy (no dark churches) unless you're shooting into sunlight.
10-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #6

I'm up in the Mystic area of CT, Manchester is about 40 minutes from me. My experience with trailing flash is a little limited, but when I did use it the lighting was fairly dark, it was during the dancing at the receptions. I found the trailing flash froze the images well without washing them out. I still need more practice with it.

Good shooting.
Shawn
10-14-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I thought the Cactus triggers don't support HSS? (I can't confirm, don't have one) If so, then I think you'll run into some difficulties balancing light for a sunset wedding. Being stuck to 1/180 max will require you to stop down quite a bit for some shots, making you lose the bokeh that's so important in portraits IMO.

You're better off with wireless HSS from you 2 flashes (one mounted on the camera, the other on a light stand/umbrella.

10-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
I thought the Cactus triggers don't support HSS?
Nope, they don't. Nor do pocketwizards. Only the radiopoppers do but they essentially take your optical wireless and run that wirelessly and translate back.
10-16-2008, 05:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What direction (N,S,E,W) do the steps of that gazebo face? And how will the JP and bride and groom be standing? These factors need to be considered and if you can influence it perhaps move the wedding party around to suit the prevailing light and you will be in a lot better shape.

If the inside roof of the gazebo is white, you could also consider bouncing your main flash off of it (using it essentially as a large umbrella). You'd have to rig something to mount it on but that shouldn't be too difficult.

shot wise... perhaps a shot of the groom standing behind the bride with his arms around her showing her how to putt... or for a funnier shot do it the other way around. LOL

Last edited by MRRiley; 10-16-2008 at 07:33 AM.
10-22-2008, 06:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the tips. Riley great tips and I like the idea of the putter. One other thing is the groom is a fisherman so I may have him bring a rod and real and tackle box to do something fun there by the lake. I am not sure honestly the direction the gazebo faces. I think honestly the sun will be close to set and not much of a factor

I asked this before and will try again. My sigma 500 is not rechipped to work with the K10 as the commander (I think correct term) I have the 540 which is and will allow one off camera flash. There is no way to use the 500 wirelessly with the 540? I have the ebay triggers and will be trying (operative word) to use them. Practicing has lead to unreliable outcomes so far (need new batteries) so looking for a backup just in case.

I will be looking at other sites as suggested for posing but have a pretty good feel for what I will do. Thanks again all
10-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have no shooting advise as it's pretty much personal but i would advise you to delegate someone to help you out organizing the shoots.
10-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

As I've only done 1 wedding (as a favour) I don't have any tips for you... BuT....

We used a gazeebo at that wedding and it wasn't till I got the shots up on the monitor that I realised how much wood rot, chipped paint and spider webs there were in the roof of, what was supposed to be, the prop of all props at the shindig
10-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Soooooo Has the wedding happened? How did it go?