Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Aerial photography

Hi Guys,
Here is another food for thoughts or place for posts.
This time is all about aerial photography.
I was dreaming to attach a Pentax camera to my drone, but decided to start from iPhone first...it is too heavy, so no future for this marriage, unfortunately.

What do you think about aerial photography?

I like when drone is mine, but I hate when somebody;s drone is buzzing somewhere close to me..:-)
Some shots of the fall colors are below:

10-23-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Aerial photography is one of the many items on my list of Neat Things To Try When Finances Allow!
10-23-2019, 10:43 PM   #3
Forum Member

Hi Vasyl,

FYI the photos you have posted are not working for me.

As for aerial photography, I'm currently working on my own drone featuring a Ricoh GR II. I currently have a working prototype, just have to find the time to give it a good run.
10-23-2019, 11:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also have no photos, only a no symbol. I've tried to ignore drones as I have one too many hobbies already, but I've seen some shots done from a drone that were literally not humanly possible. Bridges are a good example, where drones can get angles no human could.

10-24-2019, 01:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could drones be regarded as ‘artificial aids’ rather than ‘true’ photography where you have to push the button yourself, directly or remotely? Just thinking about Renault having just been disqualified from the Japanese Grand Prix for using disallowed driver aids?
10-24-2019, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess hot air balloons or kites might be a cheaper way in to the game of aerial photography, worked in the past.....
10-24-2019, 05:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arach101 Quote
Hi Vasyl,

FYI the photos you have posted are not working for me.

As for aerial photography, I'm currently working on my own drone featuring a Ricoh GR II. I currently have a working prototype, just have to find the time to give it a good run.
Hi Arach101,
What do you mean about the photos? Are they seen or not?
It would be great to see your project complete and pictures from it.
Good luck with it!

---------- Post added 24-10-19 at 05:31 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
I guess hot air balloons or kites might be a cheaper way in to the game of aerial photography, worked in the past.....
Great idea! I have never thought about that.

---------- Post added 24-10-19 at 05:35 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Could drones be regarded as ‘artificial aids’ rather than ‘true’ photography where you have to push the button yourself, directly or remotely? Just thinking about Renault having just been disqualified from the Japanese Grand Prix for using disallowed driver aids?
There is no such definition as "true" photography, because there is a human being stands behind each photo.

---------- Post added 24-10-19 at 05:37 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
I also have no photos, only a no symbol. I've tried to ignore drones as I have one too many hobbies already, but I've seen some shots done from a drone that were literally not humanly possible. Bridges are a good example, where drones can get angles no human could.
Hmm...I do not know what is going on...I cannot embed photos from Flickr it gives me an error, and it looks like Google is also conflicting with PF.
Thank you for the idea about bridges.

10-24-2019, 09:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
because there is a human being stands behind each photo
Behind a drone ... ?
10-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Behind a drone ... ?
Behind somebody's back...and drone and photo too?
10-24-2019, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A good trampoline technique can give a different viewpoint. Timing is key...
10-24-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
A good trampoline technique can give a different viewpoint. Timing is key...
and the correct exposure...:-)
10-24-2019, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I was lucky enough to get paid to fly around in a helicopter and take photos (with my Pentax of course) a few years ago, and it was an interesting experience.
At the altitude, distance from land, and airspace we were in, I'm not sure that a drone would have been appropriate.
There are quite a few places I'd like to photograph that I think are probably too remote for a drone.
I've sometimes entertained the thought of learning to fly a microlight, as a high wing variety with low stall speed would make quite a good photography platform.
Unfortunately, that's a pretty expensive hobby that likely makes photography look cheap, and apparently it can get quite addictive.
10-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are some drones flying with DSLRs but they are relatively big (and expensive). A while back I saw someone with a DSLR under a hand towed blimp (transported in a covered trailer)!

The cameras in some of the high end drones are getting pretty respectable though.

However for DSLR type option, I guess a smaller mirrorless camera might have a bit weight advantage and allow it to be used in a medium sized drone. Maybe a second hand M4/3.
10-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
There are some drones flying with DSLRs but they are relatively big (and expensive). A while back I saw someone with a DSLR under a hand towed blimp (transported in a covered trailer)!

The cameras in some of the high end drones are getting pretty respectable though.

However for DSLR type option, I guess a smaller mirrorless camera might have a bit weight advantage and allow it to be used in a medium sized drone. Maybe a second hand M4/3.
Yep...I tried iPhone 7as the lightest option for my Bebop2...it was able to lift it...I put the phone's camera in time-lapse mode...the system was very wobbly and unstable...maybe the time was not right, it was windy..
10-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I think aerial has a lot of potential, and a Theta 360 might be good candidate for it.