Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

Quick Draw Reflexes

-Rant Commencing-

I was out practice bowling this morning and on the way home missed a great photo op. Well, to me it would have been great . While stopped at a red light, I saw an SSC Ultimate Aero preparing to turn left towards my direction Yeah, that's pretty close to what my face looked like, except with much wider eyes. And while I sat there ogling, my K200d was in my bag, which was on my lap, and in the bag it stayed. Ugh...I know it wasn't going 257mph or rounding a banked turn, but I'm probably not going to see another one of those in its natural habitat like that. Beh

-Rant Concluded-

Anyway, how many times has this happened to you folks? I'm sure it's less likely to happen to the more experienced of us, but do you more experienced people sometimes wish you'd have reacted just a moment sooner at some time? And people with kids I'm sure can relate. The little ones are like ninjas sometimes

10-20-2008, 04:13 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I feel your pain!

It happens to everyone. I get it all the time, especially when I've no camera handy! I would think it happens less to the more experienced of us, but only because of knowing what to look for in the right place at the right time...
But then there are those unexpected moments, like you described, that you just cannot always be prepared for. No photographer, amateur or professional, is immune to the disappointment of losing a photo opportunity.

I always like to take a camera with me wherever I go, as I'm sure many others do - even if that means lugging a small backpack around all the time! I do sometimes have trouble with spur-of-the-moment shots as I store most of my kit on my back, but all too often my problem can be actually having the balls to take my camera out when I am not sure it is the right situation to do so - for example, when I am around a lot of people I don't know, I get nervous and shy. And I don't like to be seen holding a large camera when I don't feel it's a good idea to have one on show - even if there is an interesting photo opportunity...
Photography is all in the mind. Mental hurdles, etc.