Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2019, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by James also Quote
Set a program mode for street photos
I'll offer an alternative viewpoint: TAv is my preferred mode for street photography. I use a fast shutter speed to freeze subject movement, medium aperture to get some depth of field, then let the camera pick ISO.

12-28-2019, 12:44 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vinni Quote
I've never really used P-mode, what would the benefit be over Av to fix the depth of field?
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I'll offer an alternative viewpoint: TAv is my preferred mode for street photography. I use a fast shutter speed to freeze subject movement, medium aperture to get some depth of field, then let the camera pick ISO.
I should have perhaps put a question mark at the end of the sentence. I find Program mode really good if I have a consistent light. something that going in and out of shade may not help.

So tips such as set the speed and F stop let the camera decide ISO are the pointers I was hoping to eke out.
12-28-2019, 08:25 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by James also Quote
So tips such as set the speed and F stop let the camera decide ISO are the pointers I was hoping to eke out
That's what i do most of the time (tav) but add that I also set my EV comp, generally to -1 stop. In darker areas, part of the attraction is the lower lighting: no point in wasting ISO only to darken in post. For dynamic areas of light and dark, it helps to avoid blowing highlights. Those scenarios are very common in cities (and in forests).
And, of course, back button focus/continuous to speed up shot taking.
12-28-2019, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smile.
Don't look furtive.
Don't do the shooting from the hip style or the try and hide what you're doing. Be open about it.
If you feel you're shooting for the wrong reasons (I think we all know what that means), you will stand out and things can go wrong, quickly.
Dress relaxed to fit in.
Use a small camera and keep gear simple.
Ask if subjects mind, where possible.
If challenged, show them what you've been shooting and delete if requested, regardless of the law.
Be polite.
Start off in a big crowded event, eg carnival.
.. and smile ...

01-08-2020, 09:00 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Don't look furtive.
Alternatively you can go 'Bruce Gilden' style. I love this 4 minute
where they follow him in NY.
01-10-2020, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
And people wonder why the term, "Yankee", is used as an epithet. Gilden sums it up for himself perfectly: "I got no ethics." He's an inconsiderate boob, and all I can say is that New York City deserves him. Though it's a wonder his nose is still straight - you'd have thought someone would have realigned it for him at some point, particularly in a lawless place filled with Bloomburgers.

I hope Rotterdam is better than that.
Yeah, I'm surprised he hasn't been belted a few times. Maybe he should try his "technique" on a bunch of Hells Angels and see how he fares.
02-03-2020, 07:36 AM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
May I suggest...have a camera with an articulating screen so you are looking down at the lcd screen while the camera points towards your subject. May make you less nervous as the subjects do not know you are looking at them. Some of the best street photos I took when younger was with a Mamiya twin lens reflex...the standard focussing method was to look down into the camera...no one knew you were focussing on anybody or anything.
The “Apollo” screen on the K-1 has proven to be a godscend. In addition to removing the self consciousness, and can add a cool perspective on shots.

02-03-2020, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
And people wonder why the term, "Yankee", is used as an epithet. Gilden sums it up for himself perfectly: "I got no ethics." He's an inconsiderate boob, and all I can say is that New York City deserves him. Though it's a wonder his nose is still straight - you'd have thought someone would have realigned it for him at some point, particularly in a lawless place filled with Bloomburgers.

I hope Rotterdam is better than that.
Such an interesting video.

Folks in NYC would no doubt consider me provincial but my first thought was “try that with me an I’ll break your nose, take your film and generally break your shit“. That would never fly in a southern city.

But those same people don’t cast a second glance at such blatant rudeness.
02-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take a look here
at Sean Tucker's youtube channel.
Lots of interesting info and sound advice.