Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
mhsp1948's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 276
Original Poster
Thank you robgski, I see you point.

12-28-2019, 02:41 AM   #137
Pentaxian
Liney's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 806
I have to admit that after looking at the images on the exclusive gallery, I was better off not knowing they were there.....! No disrespect to those who made the grade, some wonderful images there which are beautifully crafted, but I thought I was doing not bad until I saw them and realised I have a long way to go.....

Actually I'm glad that gallery exists, I like to think of it as a nice little advert for the Pentax brand and it gives us something to aspire to.
12-28-2019, 04:54 AM   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 201
not quite sure it is a nice little advert for Pentax brand.
Probably a little. Very little.

Might be more of being a nice little advert for the myriad of post processing software out there.
12-28-2019, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #139
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter
robgski's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,762
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Might be more of being a nice little advert for the myriad of post processing software out there.
I haven't looked at the gallery, so I cannot opine on it, but I have recently changed my mind to the idea that I must learn and improve my post-processing to make the most of certain digital images.

12-28-2019, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 201
was probably not clear.

Not against post processing.
(Even sooc jpegs been post processed, by the cam).

But when done to a certain extent, in some ways ..... i dont know quite how to explain.
But as forum member 'bavd' said earlier (in this thread) >>

"They should rename the gallery to "the over the top photoshopped gallery"
Its more artwork than actual photos.
Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.
To my regret the monthly photo competition is moving in the same direction."

anyway, i do recognise, is all very subjective.
What one person thinks is "post processing overdone",
Another person may think "should have been pp'ed more here, less there" etc.

I cannot recall who said something like this, but i do recall coming across something like this, which goes:

"Photography is much harder than painting. The photographer has got to work with and around the situation that is in front of them, to express something. The painter, they can paint whatever they want to paint, how they want to paint it".

So, yeah, something like that.
And something like what forum member 'bavd' shared earlier.

But, as before, no "correct" or "incorrect".
Perhaps be more appropriate to amend it to "photoshopped gallery", as 'bavd' suggested.
12-28-2019, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #141
Pentaxian
swanlefitte's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: New Orleans
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,666
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote

I cannot recall who said something like this, but i do recall coming across something like this, which goes:

"Photography is much harder than painting. The photographer has got to work with and around the situation that is in front of them, to express something. The painter, they can paint whatever they want to paint, how they want to paint it".
Funny that the Impressionist painter were thought to be over the top with color and subject too. They were locked out of the French circuit and started their own.
Oddly it was partly because photography had taken the need for realism away.
One could argue that a phone in every pocket has taken over much of that need today.
12-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #142
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Bruce Clark's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brookfield, Victoria
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,241
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I have an idea. Maybe we should have a "Hall of Shame" thread? Post pictures of rejected submissions and the reason given?

...would this suggestion get me banned?
There was a thread on this very topic some time ago. I was a contributor to that thread having received some very "odd" comments on a couple of entries. By odd i mean comments that were factually incorrect, or just unhelpful. Most comments received were constructive criticism, which is appreciated and easy to handle, but others just left a cold feeling in the pit of my stomach. Eventually I had one accepted after about a dozen or so entries. I have not submitted one for a while now.mainly as i don't think I have anything 'different' enough or good enough.
12-29-2019, 05:02 AM   #143
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter
dlh's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northern Piedmont of Virginia
Posts: 1,396
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
There was a thread on this very topic some time ago. I was a contributor to that thread having received some very "odd" comments on a couple of entries. By odd i mean comments that were factually incorrect, or just unhelpful. Most comments received were constructive criticism, which is appreciated and easy to handle, but others just left a cold feeling in the pit of my stomach. Eventually I had one accepted after about a dozen or so entries. I have not submitted one for a while now.mainly as i don't think I have anything 'different' enough or good enough.
Too much postprocessing? - PentaxForums.com

01-25-2020, 06:33 AM   #144
Pentaxian
noelpolar's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Goolwa, SA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,491
Reading this I thought I'd have a go so I submitted a image (it got accepted). I don't consider myself in the same class as the better photographers here.... so there is hope.

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-27-2020 at 03:34 PM.
01-25-2020, 07:45 AM - 2 Likes   #145
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter
dlh's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northern Piedmont of Virginia
Posts: 1,396
If you're worried about what people think about you as a photographer rather than photography itself, you'll never get better. Get yourself out of your own way. Let them criticize - if what people say about your pictures strikes you as hogwash, ignore it. If it's useful, use it.
01-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #146
Pentaxian
edom31's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Garden City, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,757
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
If you're worried about what people think about you as a photographer rather than photography itself, you'll never get better. Get yourself out of your own way. Let them criticize - if what people say about your pictures strikes you as hogwash, ignore it. If it's useful, use it.
I love this...

I submitted a few that didn't make it and I also have submitted to the critique gallery... In all instances I've gotten quite useful tips and critiques (as well as extremely subjective comments that can be ignored).

Not all critiques are useful, but the ones that are, are worth a lot!
01-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,501
Everything* formerly exclusive wants to be inclusive these days.

*Clubs, Schools, neighborhoods, etc.
01-25-2020, 06:01 PM - 4 Likes   #148
Pentaxian
Liney's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 806
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
If you're worried about what people think about you as a photographer rather than photography itself, you'll never get better. Get yourself out of your own way. Let them criticize - if what people say about your pictures strikes you as hogwash, ignore it. If it's useful, use it.
Thinking on this, and considering the gallery in question, personally I would be happier if an image i had taken was nominated for the gallery rather than me putting it forward myself. I've always considered myself happy if I liked an image, if someone else likes it then that's a bonus, which is why I think I've never been one for entering competitions.

So should there be a nomination process for the gallery?
01-26-2020, 02:37 AM - 2 Likes   #149
Pentaxian
Dartmoor Dave's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dartmoor, UK
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,333
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Thinking on this, and considering the gallery in question, personally I would be happier if an image i had taken was nominated for the gallery rather than me putting it forward myself. I've always considered myself happy if I liked an image, if someone else likes it then that's a bonus, which is why I think I've never been one for entering competitions.

So should there be a nomination process for the gallery?

I think that's a great idea. I imagine it would widen the range of styles that would get considered for the PEG, which would attract more views and more interest from those of us who don't share the very specific aesthetic that has dominated so far.

It's great to see that two excellent photos made it into the gallery in December after nothing at all for months, so perhaps this thread has had a positive effect of some kind.

(I'd personally like to see something more like the range of styles that appears in Leica's LFI Gallery, although without so many photos of very poor people taken by very rich people.)
01-26-2020, 03:36 AM   #150
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GUB's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wanganui
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,689
I glanced at the first page of the gallery and the image of the Sparrowhawk caught my eye. There is something wrong with the reflection - its lowered perspective of the body should mean less of the back and less of the top of the bill should be seen compared to the direct view. And the junction of the reflection with the body is totally without ripples. I think a bit of cloning was involved
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
advice, camera, club, composition, effort, elements, eye, gallery, house, image, images, judges, light, lines, lots, museum, photography, photos, practice, proposal, study, subject, submissions, technique, time, times
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Well ... well ... well ... it looks as if the K-1 price war has begun ... Newfie Pentax K-1 43 06-15-2016 04:09 PM
A place to put photos online to share that prints but also allows full res downloads. ziscwg Pentax DSLR Discussion 14 03-08-2012 07:09 PM
Well, Well, Well.... Caboverde1 Welcomes and Introductions 3 11-22-2009 08:21 AM
Thank You Justin Serpico -- well put and useful techniques m8o Photographic Technique 27 01-26-2008 11:32 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top