Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 233 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2020, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #211
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Who needs a sarcasm script style/marker when you have gold like this right here!
What Ed said.

11-24-2020, 02:53 PM   #212
Forum Member

I've looked at the Exclusive stuff and it's OK but there's a lot of repetition. It's Camera Club stuff in the main and I stopped going to my Camera Club when I realized I was being directed to a standard of photography that was more than a bit predictable. I can't remember who but someone said 'something like If you look through the viewfinder and see a photograph you recognize don't press the shutter' and I think there is some wisdom in it. I recommend deciding on a topic and really work at it - try to make your own interpretation not mimic others. Like me you'll take many bad photos but you'll be building up to something that will be your own! Good luck.
11-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rodcy Quote
"...If you look through the viewfinder and see a photograph you recognize don't press the shutter."
Sounds like an excellent philosophy. It certainly would guide a photographer to find his or her own niche. Though I am sure that sometimes we may want to replicate another person's work if for no other reason than to honor or admire that person.
11-24-2020, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #214
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Though I am sure that sometimes we may want to replicate another person's work if for no other reason than to honor or admire that person.
To add on your thoughts (I like your whole comment), but also sometimes I take the shot realizing that it is a photograph I've seen before - I just want to make sure I can also take that shot, and then make it my own.

11-25-2020, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
To add on your thoughts (I like your whole comment), but also sometimes I take the shot realizing that it is a photograph I've seen before - I just want to make sure I can also take that shot, and then make it my own.
A very good point. In reality, one cannot take the exact same photo as another photographer, the time, the angle , and even to positioning would be ever so slightly different. To imitate the shot and maybe do something that is noticeably (yet slightly) different can make it one's own. I personally would consider it a compliment to my photography for someone to make a photo closely the same as one of mine.
11-25-2020, 07:59 PM - 2 Likes   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I look through the viewfinder and if I like what I see, I press the shutter button. I don't worry if someone has done it before, because that someone isn't me.
11-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #217
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I look through the viewfinder and if I like what I see, I press the shutter button. I don't worry if someone has done it before, because that someone isn't me.
Another valid point.

11-26-2020, 01:31 AM   #218
Veteran Member

I guess we all feel that no matter what the subject is, and how many other people have taken an image of it, we will put our own personal touch to it to make it unique.
11-26-2020, 06:56 AM   #219
Forum Member

To expand a bit - there is merit in copying the work of photographers you respect as that's one way of learning the trade so to speak. However, there comes a point, if you want to get to the highest level,, I woul when you have to find your own 'voice'. And certainly take photos of things you like to see but why do you need to take them in the same way as others? Photography isn't just a case of looking through a viewfinder and pressing a button. The more competent you are the more options there are for you to choose from. If you look at the work of the very best you will see their 'signature' in their work.