Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2019, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,913
QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
"Have you SEEN the quality of the shots in the gallery? Do you really think ANY of these are even close? Please stop. You are driving everybody NUTS and are wasting our time.This is a mediocre snapshot with really, really bad purple fringing sun the tree, that has a nice starburst because you used a very nice lens. Aside from that, well, I'll try not to be rude at this point. Please stop submitting until you understand where the standard is."
I think this is "a bit rude" .. my opinion anyway.
There are other (more diplomatic) ways to send a message and this sure makes for a very harsh/unethical response to your submission of the photo.
The person who made those comments should not even be allowed to reply, or be banned altogether.
Cheer up! Things will get better!
BTW, your picture sure isn't all that bad, as the "person" mentioned.

12-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
mhsp1948's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 346
Original Poster
jpzk, this is the actual one that was rejected and earlier photo was rejected not long ago. I know this one needs work, should have spent more time with it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #33
Pentaxian
edom31's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Garden City, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,623
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I believe the idea with the exclusive gallery is photos that are better than good. The very best of the best. Perfect exposure, perfect image quality, perfect composition, nothing less. Which means that even excellent images won't always make the cut, otherwise it wouldn't be an exclusive gallery, just a galleryMaybe @Kerrowdown could offer some more insight to the standards and such.
I see that the style of POST in this Exclusive gallery is uniform/similar.... HDRish, almost exclusive to very controlled environment, or very extensive post work. There are great photos in that gallery; but I've also seen amazing photos out there in the Normie/Very Good sections of PF.

I myself am photo first minded, rather than postprod first minded, so I highly doubt I have any material worth of this EG... I am though tempted to search my shots and submit something if I find it "fits" the bill. I wouldn't mind rejection, after all I am a humble amateur who uses solely second-hand vintage glass on an outdated APS-C body (K-50).

Keep shooting ya'll!
12-13-2019, 10:20 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
mhsp1948's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 346
Original Poster
Here is one I think I would like to post of a Mayan ruin. Then again, I get this gut feeling to just move on and not post anymore.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
12-13-2019, 11:17 AM - 4 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,367
QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
"Have you SEEN the quality of the shots in the gallery? Do you really think ANY of these are even close? Please stop. You are driving everybody NUTS and are wasting our time.This is a mediocre snapshot with really, really bad purple fringing sun the tree, that has a nice starburst because you used a very nice lens. Aside from that, well, I'll try not to be rude at this point. Please stop submitting until you understand where the standard is."
If that was the language and tone they used, they deserve a kick up the butt. There are gentler ways to say "This is not the place to put these pictures".
12-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,034
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It must be this:

PentaxForums Exclusive Gallery - Pentax User Photo Gallery

(I have to admit I do not pay attention to such things.)
If it is this one, then from the rules it looks like you can submit 2 a day with no limits other than once you have 10 accepted. If you stay within that should be no issue right?

I had never noticed the exclusive gallery. It did take me a while, years ago, to finally get into the PPG. The critque forum would be a good place to get feedback, but just remember not all people are good at giving constuctive feedback. Sometimes comes off the wrong way. Don't let it discourage you from honing your craft!
12-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
mhsp1948's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 346
Original Poster
Thank you everyone and for the advice. I am going to work on my processing before I enter another one. Once again, thank you all so much for taking the time to post. It means a lot!
12-13-2019, 12:11 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
mhsp1948's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 346
Original Poster
I took some advice on my processing and this is what I came up with and this looks much more natural. Thank you all so much, I sure love this forum. It could be lighter but I think I am going in the right directions. thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
12-13-2019, 12:26 PM   #39
Pentaxian
ChatMechant's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,145
The exclusive gallery seems to be more for the Photoshop wizards. Not my cup of tea.
12-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,875
QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
I am going to work on my processing before I enter another one.
There is always room for improvement, but don't forget that even your post-processing is judged according to the aesthetic preferences of the judges, which is very subjective and as others have said, tends to favour certain "looks." To make it even tougher, figuring out what those "looks" are isn't enough, your submitted photo has to grab the judges attention and it has to make a favourable enough impression for a majority of the judges to pick your photo as one of the top 3-5 photos they've looked at in the last 12 months. I've only made a single submission to the Exclusive Gallery and while none of the judges' remarks about it were as pointed as the one you posted, it was made quite clear that it wasn't difficult for them to judge my photo as not being good enough for the gallery.

My rejection stung a bit, but I took some consolation from realizing that most of the judges simply didn't see what I was trying to capture, which is fine. My submission was, in my personal opinion, the best photograph I have ever taken and it wasn't an accident, I was very deliberate about where and when I took it, the composition and the post-processing. What I like in a photograph is not appealing to somemany people, which is also fine. I do very much appreciate being able to post my photos elsewhere on Pentaxforums, knowing that a decent number of people who aren't related to me will take the time to look at those photos and sometimes even comment. I can't get that anywhere else.

So, lift your chin a bit, look at the camera and smile.
12-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Moe49's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz Mtns. USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 752
QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
The exclusive gallery seems to be more for the Photoshop wizards. Not my cup of tea.
Not my Cup 'o Tea either. Might be a regional thing?
12-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
mhsp1948's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 346
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
There is always room for improvement, but don't forget that even your post-processing is judged according to the aesthetic preferences of the judges, which is very subjective and as others have said, tends to favour certain "looks." To make it even tougher, figuring out what those "looks" are isn't enough, your submitted photo has to grab the judges attention and it has to make a favourable enough impression for a majority of the judges to pick your photo as one of the top 3-5 photos they've looked at in the last 12 months. I've only made a single submission to the Exclusive Gallery and while none of the judges' remarks about it were as pointed as the one you posted, it was made quite clear that it wasn't difficult for them to judge my photo as not being good enough for the gallery.

My rejection stung a bit, but I took some consolation from realizing that most of the judges simply didn't see what I was trying to capture, which is fine. My submission was, in my personal opinion, the best photograph I have ever taken and it wasn't an accident, I was very deliberate about where and when I took it, the composition and the post-processing. What I like in a photograph is not appealing to somemany people, which is also fine. I do very much appreciate being able to post my photos elsewhere on Pentaxforums, knowing that a decent number of people who aren't related to me will take the time to look at those photos and sometimes even comment. I can't get that anywhere else.

So, lift your chin a bit, look at the camera and smile.
You said so many things I felt about the judging. I have submitted 56 photo and what was so strange one or two and on a couple of occasions three of the judges like my work and scored it high all it took was one or two of the judges and on most cases just one judge to kill my photo's acceptance. It was almost schizophrenic like two personalities were looking at my photo at the same time. I have decided to not post anymore. I have labored hard enough and had to answer my own question of why Mike do you need to have a photo make the gallery. I guess it was so I could say I was a good photographer and in doing so was missing out on why I love to take photos in the first place, which is because I love to take photos. Thanks RGlasel
12-13-2019, 12:51 PM - 4 Likes   #43
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,463
I'll agree with Dartmoor Dave here... not all of us like that "Motivational Poster" look that some of the pictures seem to have.

I won't submit anything there for the same reason I stopped participating in the "post processing challenges" - I guess the most post processing wins?

Now I shouldn't say anything, I realize I'm probably never going to be considered to be a good photographer and I don't have expensive equipment. I don't consider myself an artist either, and I'd probably hear worse than the OP if I ever submitted anything...

.. but I do wonder if this Exclusive Gallery would reject Cindy Sherman's "Untitled 96" or Jeff Walls "Dead Troop Talks", if nobody knew who they were? Or Andreas Gursky's "Cent II Dyptichon"? (Now I don't see why these pictures are worth several million dollars either, but that's probably just me not understanding the art of photography...)

Nobody cared for Vivian Maier, Mike Disfarmer and Julia Cameron... until after they were dead. Same for Van Gogh... others were famous during their time and now we have no idea who they are.

So I'll just enjoy taking pictures, it relaxes me and gives me a reason to walk around. The pictures of my kids as they grow up are really the only thing that is truly important in all of this
12-13-2019, 12:55 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Goldsboro North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,729
QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
Here is one I think I would like to post of a Mayan ruin. Then again, I get this gut feeling to just move on and not post anymore.
I really like this photo (and I gave you a 'like'). Rule of thirds, gorgeous greens, interesting subject. Do not be discouraged. Any critique you get is likely going to be subjective, not objective. People have different opinions about what is 'good' and 'great'. I was shocked to see that one of the photos I posted in my albums, which I thought was just OK, had been downloaded hundreds of times! (I have downloaded others pictures as well, but I always use the PF member's name in the filename.) We should all keep an open mind about constructive criticism, and most of us have room to improve, but in the end one man's trash is another man's treasure. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Let's see, what other tired sayings might apply...........

I noticed in this picture's EXIF data that the dimensions are 1400 x 837 and the jpeg quality is 85. Assuming you saved the image at 100 quality, the PF website compressed it to save server space. I noticed some time ago that my pictures didn't look as good on PF as they did on my home computer, and this was the reason why. I did some experimenting, and if the images I post are no bigger than 1200 x 800 the jpeg quality stays at 100. As the dimensions go up the quality goes down in my experience. YMMV.


Keep shooting and keep posting. You can't please all the people all the time, but you seem to have a good eye for composition, and any technical weaknesses can be tweaked.
12-13-2019, 12:57 PM - 6 Likes   #45
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,463
I have an idea. Maybe we should have a "Hall of Shame" thread? Post pictures of rejected submissions and the reason given?

...would this suggestion get me banned?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
advice, camera, club, composition, effort, elements, eye, gallery, house, image, images, judges, light, lines, lots, museum, people, photography, photos, practice, proposal, study, subject, submissions, technique, time, times
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Well ... well ... well ... it looks as if the K-1 price war has begun ... Newfie Pentax K-1 43 06-15-2016 04:09 PM
A place to put photos online to share that prints but also allows full res downloads. ziscwg Pentax DSLR Discussion 14 03-08-2012 07:09 PM
Well, Well, Well.... Caboverde1 Welcomes and Introductions 3 11-22-2009 08:21 AM
Thank You Justin Serpico -- well put and useful techniques m8o Photographic Technique 27 01-26-2008 11:32 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top