Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2019, 05:25 AM - 3 Likes   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
After much reading and thought I think you have really nailed it ffking and I totally agree. I have decided to not post because it is causing me to take my photography to a place I don't want to go. I like telling a story, with my photographs not styling it or processing it to the point that it loses the mood and point I was trying to get across. Thank you all for posting and thank you ffking
I'm glad that helps - it's a personal struggle I've had for myself - we should never neglect improving our technical competence, but it's a means to an end, not an end - you'll be much more fulfilled (and your images will be more meaningful) following your own path (as I'm sure photographers represeted in exclusive galleries have done, just their's is a different path to yours or mine) - follow it where it leads and who knows where it will lead? - that's the excitement in creativity

12-15-2019, 05:40 AM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'm glad that helps - it's a personal struggle I've had for myself - we should never neglect improving our technical competence, but it's a means to an end, not an end - you'll be much more fulfilled (and your images will be more meaningful) following your own path (as I'm sure photographers represeted in exclusive galleries have done, just their's is a different path to yours or mine) - follow it where it leads and who knows where it will lead? - that's the excitement in creativity
Amen! Yes indeed! I was letting it steal my joy of photography, and impacting my desire to love just taking photos.

Last edited by mhsp1948; 12-15-2019 at 06:13 AM.
12-15-2019, 06:41 AM - 2 Likes   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Again, we're all different and all have different views and aesthetics (thank goodness), but the pictures that interest me are the ones where you can see the ideas of the photographer at work, not their technical (particularly post production) skill. Art is communication, and I'd much rather have something interesting about the subject communicated than the ability of the photographer to polish an image or conform to an aesthetic.

I agree with your every word, and I've quoted those two sentences above because you've hit the proverbial nail right on the head with them. One of those rare posts that makes me wish I could give multiple "likes".
12-15-2019, 06:56 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have made some post trying to get into the Exclusive Gallery and found out just how poor my photography is and then this last time was told the following. "Have you SEEN the quality of the shots in the gallery? Do you really think ANY of these are even close? Please stop. You are driving everybody NUTS and are wasting our time.This is a mediocre snapshot with really, really bad purple fringing sun the tree, that has a nice starburst because you used a very nice lens. Aside from that, well, I'll try not to be rude at this point. Please stop submitting until you understand where the standard is."

Guess I am actually worse than I thought when it comes to my photos and I see that now. So, I won't be posting in the Exclusive Gallery anymore. I guess it is time to own that I am not that good. I will have to take some real time to evaluate my work. The truth hurts sometimes, but it can be good in the long run. Hope to get better.
Whoever wrote that is SERIOUSLY out of order! We all start somewhere and that harbour shot is really nice. I understand that the quality of some members photos are way above mine but what he said to you is bordering on abuse! There are one or two on here who don't apply filters when replying .... And yes, that phrase had several re writes. There is loads of support and supportive people here, don't let the arrogance and pomposity of one person put you off.

12-15-2019, 07:18 AM - 2 Likes   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is one more I took this afternoon just before it began to rain.
If I can make a few general comments, I think the light in many of your photos isn't optimal. They also don't all have a clear subject or leading lines or things like that to draw your eye into the image. This is maybe not the place for critique, as I think you were looking more for affirmation, but there are good elements in each of your images, but also room for growth.

Be honest with yourself about what works and doesn't work in a particular image and how you would feel about it if you saw it in a gallery. Would you want to buy it and if not, why not? Most of all, keep shooting and posting. It is all about a combination of community and the image.

Last edited by Rondec; 12-15-2019 at 12:11 PM.
12-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd say to the OP, does an image grab you for a noticeable reason? Was the light striking? Did the elements of the composition line up or complement each other in an interesting way or did the subject make a particularly beautiful shape? Was the image largely made up of repeating shapes or lines? Was your eye drawn to an obvious subject by the way it was framed by other things in the image or by patterns/lines of light or colour?

That sounds rather abstract, but study the work of other, highly regarded photographers to see what they have put into or noticed for their images and then look at what interests you to see where the above considerations stand out. Composition is one of the least discussed topics in photo forums, youTube and good photography sites because it's not easy and it takes a while to learn, but it rewards study and lots of practice. Lots of practice!

I'm not great at it, but try to learn. If it's of any reassurance, I've made only one image this year I really like.
12-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If I can make a few general comments, I think the light in many of your photos isn't optimal. They also don't all have a clear subject or leading lines or things like that to draw your eye into the image. This is maybe not the place for critique, as I think you were looking more for affirmation, but there are good elements in each of your images, but also room for growth.

Be honest with yourself about what works and doesn't work in a particular image and how you would feel about it if you saw it in a gallery. Would you want to buy it and if not, why not? Most of all, keep shooting and posting. It is all about a combination of community and the image.
Thank you Rondec for your comments.

---------- Post added 12-15-19 at 07:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I'd say to the OP, does an image grab you for a noticeable reason? Was the light striking? Did the elements of the composition line up or complement each other in an interesting way or did the subject make a particularly beautiful shape? Was the image largely made up of repeating shapes or lines? Was your eye drawn to an obvious subject by the way it was framed by other things in the image or by patterns/lines of light or colour?

That sounds rather abstract, but study the work of other, highly regarded photographers to see what they have put into or noticed for their images and then look at what interests you to see where the above considerations stand out. Composition is one of the least discussed topics in photo forums, youTube and good photography sites because it's not easy and it takes a while to learn, but it rewards study and lots of practice. Lots of practice!

I'm not great at it, but try to learn. If it's of any reassurance, I've made only one image this year I really like.
I hear you guys and appreciate it. I learn from so many and always gain something, thanks.

12-16-2019, 04:26 AM   #113
Veteran Member

There's an exclusive gallery? Fair enough, not noticed that before. Or did and paid it no attention. I'll wander over and have a look...
12-16-2019, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #114
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Interestingly enough I just made an anonymous submission myself, just to check the actual mechanics of the process. I thought it might be useful to have a user experience, rather than just viewed from the side I normally see.

I have nothing but the highest of praise for all those involved in the process. I allowed for errors on my part at the time of submission, which were duly corrected, all the comments that I received were of a most polite, constructive and helpful nature. The whole process time from submission to acceptance was under two days.

So once again... my thanks to all PEG Judges for being involved in this.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 12-16-2019 at 01:44 PM.
12-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Interestingly enough I just made an anonymous submission myself, just to check the actual mechanics of the process. I thought it might be useful to have a user experience, rather than just viewed from the side like I normally see.

I have nothing but the highest of praise for all those involved in the process. I allowed for errors on my part at the time of submission, which were duly corrected, all the comments that I received were of a most polite, constructive and helpful nature. The whole process time from submission to acceptance was under two days.

So once again... my thanks to all PEG Judges for being involved in this.

Kerrowdown, I had great experiences posting on the PEG for 62 strait times then that one judge said what he he said to me and that was not only rude but went way to far. So I would agree with saying the PEG judges do a good job but not all them. Of course we could hide our head in the sand because all but one was good and act as though it does not matter that one was not what he was suppose to be and allow this judge to be excused. I think you all should find out who the judge was and deal with it.
12-16-2019, 01:23 PM - 2 Likes   #116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had great experiences posting on the PEG for 62 strait times
Have any submissions been approved? Or has it been that 62 times a panel of judges has volunteered their time to assess your photos, 62 times they've volunteered the effort to note their critiques, 62 times someone has distilled the group's thoughts into an e-mail to you in effort to help you be a better photographer?

Perhaps there is some frustration showing on their part if they perceive that 62 times you've not heeded their advice.
12-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Have any submissions been approved? Or has it been that 62 times a panel of judges has volunteered their time to assess your photos, 62 times they've volunteered the effort to note their critiques, 62 times someone has distilled the group's thoughts into an e-mail to you in effort to help you be a better photographer?

Perhaps there is some frustration showing on their part if they perceive that 62 times you've not heeded their advice.
Yeah, I don't think there is anything wrong with the "message" part of what he was trying to convey to you (the OP) if it was distilled from the jerky manner in which he conveyed it. Basically, he is telling you that YOU are being a bit rude with these repeated submissions and there is probably something to that. Now I am sounding rude -- see, it is a tough message to get across, but not necessarily invalid.
12-16-2019, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

I got very close on five and two of them I had over 4 points but on both occasion one judge said both times "No WOW!" and that killed my chances even thought the rest of the judges gave me a lot of points. I have gotten better and yes I can and have taken their advice. You are more than likely right.

---------- Post added 12-16-19 at 04:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yeah, I don't think there is anything wrong with the "message" part of what he was trying to convey to you (the OP) if it was distilled from the jerky manner in which he conveyed it. Basically, he is telling you that YOU are being a bit rude with these repeated submissions and there is probably something to that. Now I am sounding rude -- see, it is a tough message to get across, but not necessarily invalid.
First of all I was not being rude vonBaloney, and yes I understand your point, but I was really trying to do well and my intent was to do better and I did follow advice, just not well enough to have one make. Guess time to move on and accept it.

Last edited by mhsp1948; 12-16-2019 at 03:27 PM.
12-18-2019, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #119
Pentaxian

So, this thread got me to know of the now "infamous" Exclusive Gallery. I'm here to somewhat give a positive opinion of what I've learned in the past week of this thread being up...

Upon learning of the gallery I though why not submit a few shots and see what is the opinion... I submitted a few shots, none that I'd consider average; rather those that, upon seeing the images within the gallery already are likelier to fit in. I do not think the work would sell in a NYC gallery, but it wasn't too shabby either.

First, the turnaround is very quick, and you do get some nice feedback both positive and negative which is awesome.

Second - within the feedback, there will be some comments that will leave you scratching your head - for me it was about cropping or the lack of = you cannot blame the Judges; this is the difficulty in judging art (not that my work would be art, but you know where I'm going) - artistic eye cannot be defined. Some Judges will not see your vision, and you must be OK with that in order to submit your work. Unfortunately mom is not in the judging pannel (joke, people).

One of my submissions was what I thought to be the closest shot I have that "mimics" the work in the gallery (I did not purposely mimicked the style, it just came out that way due to the nature of the shot - long exposure at night) - that shot did not make the gallery by .20 in one category... I'm not mad at that; I'm actually amazed it was that close!!!

All comments in the feedback email of my near hit were very positive and I am so thankful for that feedback that it prompt me to write this post - since there is no way to thank the judges for their feedback, I reckon I'd kindly and tastefully hijack the thread momentarily for this purpose. Thank you.

Now - why not start the thread of rejects?
12-18-2019, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It has already been said, but the process is anonymous. So, if you post 62 different images over time, unless you water mark your images, they don't know it is you or 62 different photographers.