Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2019, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've received similar but not quite as extreme responses, maybe the veil of anonymity changes some things for that gallery. Most of the time though it's weird disagreement on aesthetics, like "not enough shadow details" when I intentionally didn't want shadow details....

12-13-2019, 08:36 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
During a Pentax Forum drive to get more photo submissions for one of the Galleries, I submitted a photo of mine.
I was shocked at how 'snobbish' the rejection comments were.

Ironically, a short time later I was invited by PF to give 'critique' to photo submissions. I declined the offer after looking over a few submissions.

Last edited by Moe49; 12-14-2019 at 03:53 PM.
12-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Your photos show some good raw material. It is really in the post-processing where the image is "made", especially if you are targeting that "gallery look". I'd take some time to practice taking what at first glance may seem mediocre/boring raw images and turning them into something striking -- make wildly different versions of the same image, etc.
12-13-2019, 08:40 AM - 5 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
what/where is this "Exclusive Gallery"?
if we told everybody it wouldn't be exclusive

12-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
if we told everybody it wouldn't be exclusive
I don't recall ever being let into anything cojoined with the adjective exclusive. Unless, of course, you count those organizations that try to get big dollar donations out of you by promising admittance to ever-more-impressive sounding rings of exclusivity like The Insider's Club and The President's Inner Circle.
12-13-2019, 08:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I believe the idea with the exclusive gallery is photos that are better than good. The very best of the best. Perfect exposure, perfect image quality, perfect composition, nothing less. Which means that even excellent images won't always make the cut, otherwise it wouldn't be an exclusive gallery, just a gallery
Maybe @Kerrowdown could offer some more insight to the standards and such.
12-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
I have made some post trying to get into the Exclusive Gallery and found out just how poor my photography is and then this last time was told the following. "Have you SEEN the quality of the shots in the gallery? Do you really think ANY of these are even close? Please stop. You are driving everybody NUTS and are wasting our time.This is a mediocre snapshot with really, really bad purple fringing sun the tree, that has a nice starburst because you used a very nice lens. Aside from that, well, I'll try not to be rude at this point. Please stop submitting until you understand where the standard is."

Guess I am actually worse than I thought when it comes to my photos and I see that now. So, I won't be posting in the Exclusive Gallery anymore. I guess it is time to own that I am not that good. I will have to take some real time to evaluate my work. The truth hurts sometimes, but it can be good in the long run. Hope to get better.
You're always welcome to enroll in the Academy for Bad Photographs Online University

12-13-2019, 09:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Honestly I would not get worked up that you could not get into that "Exclusive"Gallery". Theres some very nice images there to be sure... beautiful actually, but if you look at the dates they were put into the gallery its obvious that its not a hot spot on the forum. In 2019 only 3 images were added.. 2018 they added 5 I think. The earlier years in the gallery saw many more images added .Not sure what to make of that but a guess is that either the quality posted has gone down significantly(This I do not see) or the bar raised has gone up by whoever is judging, or its just not something pushed by the forum or important to the membership. I didnt know it existed and sounds like others here didnt.

Im no judge on photography so I cant comment what the basis is for the decisions .

Hth,
Al
12-13-2019, 09:30 AM - 3 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
You're always welcome to enroll in the Academy for Bad Photographs Online University

I visited the site – wonderful! If you visit, be sure to read as well as look. The only problem is that there are some photos that perhaps look a little too familiar.

As far as the Exclusive Gallery is concerned, I saw some nice things, but I also saw some trite subject matter and some real pretentiousness.
12-13-2019, 09:31 AM - 4 Likes   #25
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
I have made some post trying to get into the Exclusive Gallery and found out just how poor my photography is and then this last time was told the following. "Have you SEEN the quality of the shots in the gallery? Do you really think ANY of these are even close? Please stop. You are driving everybody NUTS and are wasting our time.This is a mediocre snapshot with really, really bad purple fringing sun the tree, that has a nice starburst because you used a very nice lens. Aside from that, well, I'll try not to be rude at this point. Please stop submitting until you understand where the standard is."

Guess I am actually worse than I thought when it comes to my photos and I see that now. So, I won't be posting in the Exclusive Gallery anymore. I guess it is time to own that I am not that good. I will have to take some real time to evaluate my work. The truth hurts sometimes, but it can be good in the long run. Hope to get better.
Frankly, a reply that is so disrespectful, rather than helpful; certainly is not what I've come to expect from this forum.
12-13-2019, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I'm not quite sure what is happening there... but my eyes do hurt
12-13-2019, 09:37 AM - 10 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

The "Exclusive Gallery" is all about a particular aesthetic, and if you don't happen to share that aesthetic then you can happily ignore it (as I and many others do). If you do happen to feel that the sorts of photos that get made "Exclusive" represent an aesthetic that you'd like to emulate, then of course you're free to work towards that goal.

But it most definitely does NOT represent an absolute objective standard that all photography should be measured against.
12-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
Well for what it's worth, I think that's pretty nice.
Thank you Sir Nameless, and I am sure it could be better. Going to get impute from others so I can perfect my work and make it better. I do love photography and my Pentax equipment.

---------- Post added 12-13-19 at 10:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
The "Exclusive Gallery" is all about a particular aesthetic, and if you don't happen to share that aesthetic then you can happily ignore it (as I and many others do). If you do happen to feel that the sorts of photos that get made "Exclusive" represent an aesthetic that you'd like to emulate, then of course you're free to work towards that goal.

But it most definitely does NOT represent an absolute objective standard that all photography should be measured against.
Very good point Dartmoor Dave
12-13-2019, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
It is far easier to improve the technical aspect of photograhy than to develop a keen eye for suitable subjects.
This a thousand times. I seem to fumble into good pictures (those subjective aspects that actually make a pleasing image) but can take lots of technically correct bad ones.
12-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
I like the image, it is a dramatic shot of a harbour at night.
You have a good eye for these kind of scenes.

Looking at the exif data gives me an idea you can easily improve the technical qualities of your work.
That is where this excellent gallery commitee is pointing at.
Join a photoclub or try to find a forum user who is willing to give you hints and tips on a regular basis.

It is far easier to improve the technical aspect of photograhy than to develop a keen eye for suitable subjects.

Thank you Fluegel and appreciate your perspective on improving Technical aspects.