Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 233 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2019, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Always take this stuff with a grain of salt. I was discussing a similar topic with my mom who has been an artist for as long as I can remember. Being accepted or rejected into a show, gallery, magazine, whatever...isn't an absolute judgement on your work. It often depends upon what the person doing the judging is looking for. A few years ago, one of my pics got selected for the cover of a "Readers' Photos" issue of a state magazine. Was it the best pic submitted? No, not by a long shot. I didn't talk to the folks who chose it, but I'm pretty sure it got selected because it was vertical and had areas where they could put the magazine title and other cover info without harming the composition of the photo too badly. In short, it fit their needs as to what they were looking for in a cover photo. Just last week, one of my pics got chosen as the color digital photo of the year in my camera club. I thought there were a lot better pics than mine entered. Heck, I didn't even think the winning one was the best pic I had entered! LOL Oh...and it didn't score all that well when it was entered in our monthly competition earlier in the year. The person who won black & white digital picture of the year said pretty much the same thing. When he entered his pic in the monthly competition, it got hammered. But he liked it so he entered it in the End of Year competition...and won. Same pics...different people judging them. I've heard a well-known photographer and musician say the similar things about judging. Some judges are looking for flawless execution even if the subject is pretty common, whereas other judges will forgive some imperfections if the concept is unique. All you can do is try your best to make good images that you like, be your own worst critic, and keep growing.

12-13-2019, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I have an idea. Maybe we should have a "Hall of Shame" thread? Post pictures of rejected submissions and the reason given?

...would this suggestion get me banned?
I like that idea... I could definitely contribute to the thread!
12-13-2019, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I like that idea... I could definitely contribute to the thread!
Same here. It might be my best chance ever to go viral!
12-13-2019, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

I guess I'd have to submit one to be able to contribute

12-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

aybe we should have a "Hall of Shame" thread? Post pictures of rejected submissions and the reason given?
I appreciate what you are saying, but I am pretty sure the PEG judges are volunteers and there was a thread like this a few years ago where one of the judges commented that he was spending about 10 hours a week judging photos he didn't take, so I respectfully vote No. I've noticed some of the photos you have posted in various threads in the past and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, so you can be proud of having several photos selected for the Peanut Gallery.
12-13-2019, 01:48 PM - 10 Likes   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
"Have you SEEN the quality of the shots in the gallery? Do you really think ANY of these are even close? Please stop. You are driving everybody NUTS and are wasting our time.This is a mediocre snapshot with really, really bad purple fringing sun the tree, that has a nice starburst because you used a very nice lens. Aside from that, well, I'll try not to be rude at this point. Please stop submitting until you understand where the standard is."
I will take the risk and drop the veil of anonymity. I have been an "Exclusive Gallery" judge for several years, but am saddened to see such a rough comment. I am familiar with the OP's work (we generally don't know who submits, though watermarks will betray). I am also familiar with and happy with my own work, but given the standards for the PEG, I have chosen to not submit my work there.

Although not directly related to the OP's work or feedback given them from the various judges (we don't see each others scoring or comments), I can provide a bit of a window into the process and what challenges might arise and my personal "stuff":
  • Submissions are anonymous unless there is a watermark or clues in the EXIF
  • We have the option of NOT evaluating a particular image. I will admit to exercising this option on occasion.
  • We don't know the exact weighting of the scores we give. We also have the option of including comments indicating our impression as well as sometimes adding advice.
  • We don't have access to final scores
  • I find it to be a personal challenge when a submission is below general expectations of excellence for a genre. The bar is set quite high for so many types of subjects and the expectation for technical excellence and emotional impact is hard to meet. As such, it causes me personal pain to give less than positive comments on images that often are well-executed if not particularly compelling. Usually, they are in the form of a suggestion to take part in the critique forum or in one of the many thematic threads where good feedback is the norm.
  • I used the word "compelling" in the point above and can't emphasis enough the weight of that quality. It may be noted that there is some overlap in PEG images with those placing in the monthly photo contests. I find that aspect to be quite telling.
  • We have difficulty reacting well to seeing the same image (or subject from a session) submitted multiple times, only with different PP or crop as a form of using critique to eventually get the image in. The same is often true when it is apparent that PEG submission is as frequent as what might be seen in one of the "Single in" or "Picture of the week" threads. That last sentence bites, I know, though the rule of thumb for submissions might be to "save it for one's best shots" and for most of us, those are very few and far between.
  • We are able to share questions and concerns with other judges as well as the PEG moderator by way of a private forum for that purpose. It is a constructive place.
  • The judges are not monolithic in their taste or scoring. I will admit to having not approved several entries that were admitted and to have given a strong thumbs up to several that were denied. In fact, reviewing the PEG this morning provided me with a few rolling of the eyes moments.
I hope this helps.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-13-2019 at 02:32 PM.
12-13-2019, 01:57 PM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I guess I'd have to submit one to be able to contribute
To be honest, I would encourage you to do so. A rule of thumb might be whether one's work might fit comfortably into one of the monthly PF photo contests and/or might have been explored on Flickr or some such.

Steve

12-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #53

Well

I don't know how many images you submitted, but their rules just say a limit of two a day and "You will be able to submit as many photos as you'd like until 10 have been approved in the gallery." If they don't want people to follow their guidelines they should change them.

Personally I would make a point of avoiding anything in any field which labels itself "exclusive". Depending on context it usually means "ovepriced", "pretentious", "style with no substance" "if you have to ask the price you can't afford it" or some combination of these.

Their comments as quoted are not really acceptable as a response to someone who has submitted his work in good faith. The tone and the sprinkling of unnecessary capitalisation strike me as arrogant and frankly immature. If they really think that your work doesn't meet their rarified standards they could just have suggested you get feedback from some other forums.

Don't let it put you off.
12-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I will take the risk and drop the veil of anonymity. I have been an "Exclusive Gallery" judge for several years, but am saddened to see such a rough comment. I am familiar with the OP's work (we generally don't know who submits, though watermarks will betray). I am also familiar with my own work and given the standards for the PEG, I have chosen to not submit my work.

Although not directly related to the OP's work or feedback given them from the various judges (we don't see each others scoring or comments), I can provide a bit of a window into the process and what challenges might arise and my personal "stuff":
  • Submissions are anonymous unless there is a watermark or clues in the EXIF
  • We have the option of NOT evaluating a particular image. I will admit to exercising this option on occasion.
  • We don't know the exact weighting of the scores we give. We also have the option of including comments indicating our impression as well as sometimes adding advice.
  • We don't have access to final scores
  • I find it to be a personal challenge when a submission is below general expectations of excellence for a genre. The bar is set quite for so many types of subjects and the expectation for technical excellence and emotional impact is hard to meet. As such, it causes me personal pain to give less than positive comments on images that often are well-executed if not particularly compelling. Usually, they are in the form of a suggestion to take part in the critique forum or in one of the many thematic threads where good feedback is the norm.
  • I used the word "compelling" in the point above and can't emphasis enough the weight of that quality. It may be noted that there is some overlap in PEG images with those placing in the monthly photo contests. I find that aspect to be quite telling.
  • We have difficulty reacting well to seeing the same image (or subject from a session) submitted multiple times, only with different PP or crop as a form of using critique to eventually get the image in. The same is often true when it is apparent that PEG submission is as frequent as what might be seen in one of the "Single in" or "Picture of the week" threads. That last sentence bites, I know, though the rule of thumb for submissions might be to "save it for one's best shots" and for most of us, those are very few and far between.
  • We are able to share questions and concerns with other judges as well as the PEG moderator by way of a private forum for that purpose. It is a constructive place.
  • The judges are not monolithic in their taste or scoring. I will admit to having not approved several entries that were admitted and to have given a strong thumbs up to several that were denied. In fact, reviewing the PEG this morning provided me with a few rolling of the eyes moments.
I hope this helps.

Steve

Thank you for such and extensive comment, providing much insight. Thank you Steve
12-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #55
Pentaxian

I hope this helps.Steve
this is really nice of you. Good read.
12-13-2019, 02:13 PM   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
there was a thread like this a few years ago where one of the judges commented that he was spending about 10 hours a week judging photos he didn't take
I vaguely remember that thread. It was from several years ago I believe it was in regard to the official Pentax Photo Gallery as it existed at that time. I quit actively judging for PPG when it was obvious that I was seeing people's vacation photos.

Steve
12-13-2019, 02:17 PM - 2 Likes   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can so relate to this. I'm not even the best photographer in my radius of 100 yards. My best shot gets tons of yawns. I'm just here to make you all look good!
12-13-2019, 02:31 PM - 7 Likes   #58
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
As the PEG Moderator I have followed this thread from the sidelines... I feel that perhaps now it's right time for few comments and observations from myself.

Firstly let me define what the PEG is... it is intended to be a collection of superlative images taken using Pentax equipment.

The PEG is maybe not for everyone, but it is available to all for those who have the inclination to become involved at their own choosing.

The submitted images are viewed by other Forum members who act as PEG Judges. These can come from Professional, Amateurs, Hobbyist or other backgrounds... but at the end of the day they are all photographers and have a real passion for photography.

One must remember that all forms judging is both by nature very subjective and emotive. This is what makes a diverse judging base so important.

These folk give their time freely and on the whole act professionally and respectfully, offering both advice and constructive criticism. I have done so myself and have usually received prompt and courteous thank you, for my input and suggestions.

I endeavour to keep a weather eye on the proceedings, by auditing both marks and comments and I do take any necessary actions where appropriate. Whilst I admit to not seeing absolutely everything... for example if the number of Judges have met the required levels, submissions will be accepted or rejected without my intervention.

There has been a fall off in the levels of submissions over the period, reasons for which one can only speculate. This in itself, contributes to the relatively few accepted submissions into the gallery. As an observation... I do believe that submissions lately have not perhaps been at the perceived required standards to qualify for acceptance. I personally look for what I call a "wow" factor in the imagery, not quite sure how you define that, but it's just something that holds your attention when you view it, but as ready mentioned... I'm only one of many to view.

It's not about right or wrong, it's all about the image and it's what we all do and hopefully strive to improve on.

Any way that's all from me, except to say a heart felt thanks to all past, present, potential submitters, judges and forum members.

IMHO this is what makes this Forum what it is.
12-13-2019, 02:35 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I appreciate what you are saying, but I am pretty sure the PEG judges are volunteers and there was a thread like this a few years ago where one of the judges commented that he was spending about 10 hours a week judging photos he didn't take, so I respectfully vote No. I've noticed some of the photos you have posted in various threads in the past and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, so you can be proud of having several photos selected for the Peanut Gallery.
Ummm I'm not sure what you are implying here I was giving a suggestion for a few of us who don't take things too seriously, in a self-deprecating manner.

I've said it right of the bat that I don't think I'll ever going to be considered a good photographer. So again, not sure what you're implying here. We already know I'm a Hack (yes with a capital H). I even said I'd get a much worse insult than the OP for my submissions... I'd probably be sued for eye damage!

To further make this point - and this is the honest truth - the only image I've ever had that was selected as "Explored by flickr" was when I received a new lens once and took a snap by the window to show in the "new acquisitions thread"!

The whole point was to not take things too seriously.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 12-13-2019 at 02:48 PM.
12-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #60
Pentaxian

To be honest, I would encourage you to do so. A rule of thumb might be whether one's work might fit comfortably into one of the monthly PF photo contests and/or might have been explored on Flickr or some such.

Steve
That's very kind of you, Steve.

Maybe in a few years when I can honestly say I've learned a thing or two about good photography.