Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2019, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #76
Veteran Member

I've watched this thread now as it developed and really want to thank both Stevebrot and Kerrowdown for their candid info and attempt at addressing an issue that obviously hits a raw spot on many here. I don't envy your position but respect it. Its a shame that the poor treatment of one member by a judge ,lets call it what it really is, has reflected poorly on what probably was meant to be a way to recognize photographic excellence in our forum membership. Hopefully the judge here that the Op quoted was having a bad day..it happens. If all judges are as proactive as Kerrowdown and Stevebrot one might suggest now is a very good time to discuss appropriate behavior on the part of the Judges. If there are high standards for whats accepted photographically there probably should be high standards of conduct by the judges even though they are volunteers.

Im guessing most of those involved as judges are doing so because they love photography. I am sure that they are spending alot of time on this so maybe burn out is a factor to consider. I would imagine it could be. Maybe the judges should be for terms..give breaks.. bring in new blood.

I have no clue on how judges are selected but I do have a boatload of experience judging in a different hobby. Volunteer Judges burn out... thats a fact.That it happens out of sight of the forum membership makes it hard for us to see... but it happens I am sure

Al

12-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
Here is one that was rejected and I guess I have a long ways to go. I see their points and trying to improve.
Hi,

I would do a like on your photograph, but there is no icon for me to hit on!

Regards,
Gordon.
12-13-2019, 07:43 PM - 4 Likes   #78
Veteran Member

Thoughts:

A) Ouch, someone dropped the tact ball on that response.
B) Pentax forums has an Exclusive Gallery?
C) Purple fringing should never be the deciding factor on whether a photo is good or not. The world is full of very boring, technically perfect photographs.
12-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is a monthly contest where the entire forum can vote. Those winners are exclusive even though many could have been.
If I submitted a photo to this gallery I would expect it to be good enough to win the monthly contest. Or conversely if my photos are not getting top votes in the monthly I wouldn't bother submitting them to PEG. It is tough competition with so many great photos.

12-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,

I would do a like on your photograph, but there is no icon for me to hit on!

Regards,
Gordon.

Thank you gordon
12-14-2019, 02:25 AM   #81
Forum Member

So i had a look at the photos in this exclusive gallery and i must say there are few i really like.
They should rename the gallery to "the over the top photoshopped gallery"
Its more artwork than actual photos.
Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.
To my regret the monthly photo competition is moving in the same direction.
Maby we should start a "straigt out of the camera gallery" (if it is not already there ).
Regards.
12-14-2019, 02:32 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now I know what PEG means, had wondered. Cheers!

12-14-2019, 03:58 AM   #83

Apology

Looking at my post yesterday I think I overreacted to the use of “exclusive” in the name of the gallery. I don’t think now that it was meant in a pretentious manner. Sorry if I annoyed anyone.
12-14-2019, 04:20 AM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have not submitted any images to PEG. I have really been uncertain if any of them meet that level and so I reserve them for other less exclusive threads on the Forum. I'm not always good at taking rejection, so better not to go into that process -- particularly when the reward is simply having your image posted in a gallery that few people actually know about.

You have to know your audience too. Not every artist's work is suitable for every Gallery. I can't imagine, for instance, the Getty purchasing a banana duct taped to a wall. For PEG, the standard seems to be fairly highly post processed landscapes with nice light and interesting scenes. At least that is the standard for the landscape images. That is not to say that dark, contrasty black and white images aren't excellent, but that they are less likely to be approved there.

The message should have been delivered more tactfully and if possible, should have included some constructive points that could improve the image. Even Ansel Adam's best work could probably have been improved. We are all on a journey and just because others are a bit further down the road to the "perfect image" doesn't mean either that they have achieved or that those of us further up the road should give up.
12-14-2019, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #85
Pentaxian

I have made some post trying to get into the Exclusive Gallery and found out just how poor my photography is and then this last time was told the following. "Have you SEEN the quality of the shots in the gallery? Do you really think ANY of these are even close? Please stop. You are driving everybody NUTS and are wasting our time.This is a mediocre snapshot with really, really bad purple fringing sun the tree, that has a nice starburst because you used a very nice lens. Aside from that, well, I'll try not to be rude at this point. Please stop submitting until you understand where the standard is."

Guess I am actually worse than I thought when it comes to my photos and I see that now. So, I won't be posting in the Exclusive Gallery anymore. I guess it is time to own that I am not that good. I will have to take some real time to evaluate my work. The truth hurts sometimes, but it can be good in the long run. Hope to get better.
I wouldn't take it so hard. Until now I had no idea that there's such a thing as "Exclusive Gallery". Seems like there are 8 pages collected since 2010 - not that much, right? Well, there obviously must be some selection. I went through the thread and there are some very nice shots, some mediocore and some even not that good (but hey, it's always subjective opinion, isn't is?). Quite some are over-processed, but again, that's just my feeling, nothing more.

However, sursum corda! There are many other threads where you can post your shots freely. I'd recommend some of the lens clubs (which I personally like the most).
12-14-2019, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bavd Quote
Its more artwork than actual photos.
Yes, that's frequently my first impression when I see some of the most popular and adored shots.

I see 5 minutes of work with camera in the field and many many hours (or even days) of Photoshop-ing.

Should it even be called as a "photo"? Why to bother yourself with the photo at all, when 99% of the file is computer graphic anyway?

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic.
12-14-2019, 06:16 AM - 2 Likes   #87
Pentaxian

To quote Grouch Marx -

'I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have persons like me as members.'
12-14-2019, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #88
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have made some post trying to get into the Exclusive Gallery and found out just how poor my photography is and then this last time was told the following. "Have you SEEN the quality of the shots in the gallery? Do you really think ANY of these are even close? Please stop. You are driving everybody NUTS and are wasting our time.This is a mediocre snapshot with really, really bad purple fringing sun the tree, that has a nice starburst because you used a very nice lens. Aside from that, well, I'll try not to be rude at this point. Please stop submitting until you understand where the standard is."

Guess I am actually worse than I thought when it comes to my photos and I see that now. So, I won't be posting in the Exclusive Gallery anymore. I guess it is time to own that I am not that good. I will have to take some real time to evaluate my work. The truth hurts sometimes, but it can be good in the long run. Hope to get better.
I looked at that gallery, and wasn't overly impressed with much of what I saw (lots of exceptions, of course). But the person who sent that message to you is a creepy jerk IMO, and ought to be censured.
12-14-2019, 08:44 AM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IF that image (by the OP) be deemed as "cannot make it", then perhaps it isnt quite that worth it to try getting into that club.

Perfect exposure, perfect composition etc. Subjective.
One pax's meat, could be another pax's poison.

These days, with the breadth and depth of post processing that can be done, i dont know.
But sorry, i just do not see what's so great about such an exclusive club.

It sounds so exclusive and so perfect that i don't dare to look at the images that been deemed to be that perfect, lest my imperfect sight and absolutely poor sense of photographic Nirvana soil those images.

Call it sour grapes if anyone wants to. I know i be millions of miles away from the doorstep of that club BUT, neh, no thanks.

Anyway, the image the OP shared, looks great (to me).

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I believe the idea with the exclusive gallery is photos that are better than good. The very best of the best. Perfect exposure, perfect image quality, perfect composition, nothing less. Which means that even excellent images won't always make the cut, otherwise it wouldn't be an exclusive gallery, just a gallery
Maybe @Kerrowdown could offer some more insight to the standards and such.
12-14-2019, 09:04 AM   #90
Pentaxian

If you post online anywhere you need to have a tough hide. There's always some that will insult you just for sport. This site is a bit different because it gives you a complaint button you can use if someone goes overboard. That was a very Snarky message sent. Report it.