Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you for that video swanlefitte

06-21-2020, 07:41 AM - 3 Likes   #182
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
I have made some post trying to get into the Exclusive Gallery and found out just how poor my photography is and then this last time was told the following. "Have you SEEN the quality of the shots in the gallery? Do you really think ANY of these are even close? Please stop. You are driving everybody NUTS and are wasting our time.This is a mediocre snapshot with really, really bad purple fringing sun the tree, that has a nice starburst because you used a very nice lens. Aside from that, well, I'll try not to be rude at this point. Please stop submitting until you understand where the standard is."

Guess I am actually worse than I thought when it comes to my photos and I see that now. So, I won't be posting in the Exclusive Gallery anymore. I guess it is time to own that I am not that good. I will have to take some real time to evaluate my work. The truth hurts sometimes, but it can be good in the long run. Hope to get better.
While I was going to school Technique was an issue, but the content of the photo was much more important. Once in a while the teachers would deduct points for sloppy Darkroom technique, but just a few points. It wasn't until my last class that I had to hand in the Final Project which consisted of a chosen subject that would be photographed throughout the entire semester . The pictures would have to be blown up to at least 8x10 and put into a portfolio before submission. The pictures in this portfolio could be Color, or B&W, Film, or Digital.

I chose to take pictures of Park Benches using Digital and Film. So I went around the city taking as many pictures of Park Benches as I could, then chose the best ones, blew them up to 8X10 and put them into a 20 sheet portfolio. When it came down to the grading the Teacher/Professor called me into her office. She went through each picture taking points off for CA, purple Fringing, Pin cushion distortion, Barrel distortion etc. This was not the first time I had heard of those terms, but it was the first time I was made aware of them in my pictures.

I told the teacher that I was only working with a $350 lens but she was not swayed, she deducted points anyway. I left her office very disappointed with my camera and $350 lens in my hand. After all that hard work I could not believe that I would be shot-down like that ? When I finally got my grade a few weeks later, I was shocked that I still got an 'A' in the course. Apparently, she decided to give me a break and grade me on the "artistic content" rather than Technique. A few weeks later she told me she just wanted me to be aware of technique because most photographic judges and Editors are not going to be that lenient...

Last edited by hjoseph7; 06-21-2020 at 09:55 AM.
06-21-2020, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not been very attentive to this forum lately and today saw the most recent comment in this thread and decided to go back and review a few comments. After reading the reference to the "Academy for Bad Photographs Online University" I took a look. A few of the photographs there would be accepted into fine art displays that I have seen. Some others would be classified as "Artsy" or excellent in some places.

To me good or great photography or art is in the eye of the person viewing the art or photograph. Simply put, I know what I like in a photograph, painting or a view of the world and it is not always in total agreement with the rest of the world. I've never won a photography contest or display, I do not have any photos displayed in exhibitions and I have not been published in any form, even the local newspaper. What I have accomplished is providing some photos of a friends family, or a new baby, or even my own family to the few who also appreciate them. I take photographs for myself. If someone else thinks they are good or great, I am happy to hear the comments. If someone thinks they are trash, well they are entitled to their opinion because it is their opinion, not mine, and I can live with that.
06-21-2020, 05:42 PM   #184
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
After reading the reference to the "Academy for Bad Photographs Online University" I took a look. A few of the photographs there would be accepted into fine art displays that I have seen. Some others would be classified as "Artsy" or excellent in some places.
Very true. I can see some of them, a good number actually, which would fit very nicely into shows or books that I have. They are a commentary on North American life.

07-20-2020, 07:43 AM - 2 Likes   #185
Veteran Member

I just finished reading this entire thread. Wow.

The feedback OP received was rudeness rather than criticism and I'm surprised it was allowed to stand. The mod defended it and then went on to say they've investigated themselves and found no wrongdoing. I didn't know the exclusive gallery existed but this thread guarantees I'll never visit it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Perhaps you didn't realize that the discussion is about our Pentaxforums Exclusive Gallery (PEG); not the Pentax Photo Gallery (PPG)? I did a search under your user name and found none in the PEG.
This is beautiful. The perfect counter to the same kind of rudeness OP faced from the PEG.

I have an honest question for you guys. What is appealing about submitting your work to a clique of anonymous strangers, or any strangers for that matter? Their criticisms don't help because you have no way of evaluating their expertise or motives. You're left with whether their criticisms sounds plausible to you, and let's face it, if they do, you could have arrived at that conclusion without the middle man. If it's accepted, what does that mean? They're still an anonymous clique of strangers. Neither criticism nor validation mean anything unless you value the person offering it, and to honestly value a person we must know them to some degree.

I just don't understand, and I want to, not because I'd want to participate in something like this, but because I don't understand it. It reminds me of the "roast me" subreddit, but I'm not sure if that's still a thing. People would post a picture of themselves there so that the user base could hurl the worst insults imaginable at them, and it was never a roast for long like in the party sense with people you know and value, it always descended into bitter antipathy and overt rudeness. It's not a direct parallel, but I see similarities. Perhaps it's just the veil of anonymity, but I think there's more in common.

On a philosophical level, is it possible to be attracted so something like the PEG in the absence of pretense? It probably is, I'm just having trouble thinking of a good reason.

Last edited by Philoslothical; 07-20-2020 at 07:44 AM. Reason: A word.
08-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #186

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Your photos show some good raw material. It is really in the post-processing where the image is "made", especially if you are targeting that "gallery look". I'd take some time to practice taking what at first glance may seem mediocre/boring raw images and turning them into something striking -- make wildly different versions of the same image, etc.
That explains the over sharpened, over produced of most images in there, I didn’t know it even existed. I’ve seen some of the better ones in the Medium Format forum. But yeah, not my cup of tea.

---------- Post added 08-28-20 at 05:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I just finished reading this entire thread. Wow.

The feedback OP received was rudeness rather than criticism and I'm surprised it was allowed to stand. The mod defended it and then went on to say they've investigated themselves and found no wrongdoing. I didn't know the exclusive gallery existed but this thread guarantees I'll never visit it.

This is beautiful. The perfect counter to the same kind of rudeness OP faced from the PEG.

I have an honest question for you guys. What is appealing about submitting your work to a clique of anonymous strangers, or any strangers for that matter? Their criticisms don't help because you have no way of evaluating their expertise or motives. You're left with whether their criticisms sounds plausible to you, and let's face it, if they do, you could have arrived at that conclusion without the middle man. If it's accepted, what does that mean? They're still an anonymous clique of strangers. Neither criticism nor validation mean anything unless you value the person offering it, and to honestly value a person we must know them to some degree.

I just don't understand, and I want to, not because I'd want to participate in something like this, but because I don't understand it. It reminds me of the "roast me" subreddit, but I'm not sure if that's still a thing. People would post a picture of themselves there so that the user base could hurl the worst insults imaginable at them, and it was never a roast for long like in the party sense with people you know and value, it always descended into bitter antipathy and overt rudeness. It's not a direct parallel, but I see similarities. Perhaps it's just the veil of anonymity, but I think there's more in common.

On a philosophical level, is it possible to be attracted so something like the PEG in the absence of pretense? It probably is, I'm just having trouble thinking of a good reason.
Just their taste, and form the few pages I’ve seen, not a very good one. Never knew it existed before I read this thread today.
08-29-2020, 08:46 AM - 3 Likes   #187
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not interested in posting my photos anywhere, where the replies are rude. I take all of mine for the enjoyment, and not for rude criticism. One can comment on how to make the photo better, or what the photo lacks, in a kind manner. That encourages a person to keep trying.

08-29-2020, 08:53 AM - 3 Likes   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read a good quote yesterday related to this subject, "What others think of your photographs is none of your business." I do not recall to whom it was attributed, but it does make sense.
08-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #189
Pentaxian

Is the gallery a graveyard? Nothing wrong with graveyards. But if a photo is meant to somehow be the end all of what a photo is. I agree with Pablo. Go to the gallery and think, these are done, move on, life here has ended. Find life elsewhere.
"To finish a work? To finish a picture? What nonsense! To finish it means to be through with it, to kill it, to rid it of its soul, to give it its final blow the coup de grace for the painter as well as for the picture."

Pablo Picasso
08-29-2020, 05:07 PM   #190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
What is appealing about submitting your work to a clique of anonymous strangers, or any strangers for that matter?
Academic reviews work much the same, though I'm not sure if this is single or double blind. After you pass the review you hang out with others that passed But as with all anonymous reviews, writing considerate reviews is a skill in itself.
11-02-2020, 05:41 AM   #191
Veteran Member

I submitted one just for grins. Don't expect it to make the cut and really don't care. I do have a account at PPG and have a few photos on there.

Last edited by Parallax; 11-02-2020 at 06:07 AM. Reason: profanity
11-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
I submitted one just for grins. Don't expect it to make the cut and really don't care. I do have a account at PPG and have a few photos on there.
I put in a few many months back. None made it but its OK. One shot was excluded by just a few points... that got a smile on my face.
11-02-2020, 12:18 PM   #193
Veteran Member

Mine did not make it either, but I was pleasantly surprised by the comments, and I only missed out by a small margin. Here's the response......

Dear bluestringer,

Thanks for your submission to the Pentax Exclusive Gallery! Unfortunately, while your recent photo was not accepted into the PEG, it will still be showcased in our regular User Photo Gallery at I see you - Pentax User Photo Gallery .

Judge comments, if applicable:
Below you will find comments on your photo. You might want to re-submit an edited version of your photo depending on the circumstances!

Excellent portrait. Composition, technique, lighting, black background which emphasizes subject.
Well done !
------------------

Nice photo. I would probably crop in closer by removing some of the top space and the right side space to focus more on the lizard.

Additionally I'd add a bit more light to the eye so that we can really see it and it is not just a black hole.

Plus add some texture to the photo to bring out more of the detail in the skin.
------------------

Very beautiful colors and contrast - excellent. No improvement suggestions from me. I like what seems to be the expression on the lizard's face.
------------------

Too much negative space to the right IMHO.
11-02-2020, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #194
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I have an honest question for you guys. What is appealing about submitting your work to a clique of anonymous strangers, or any strangers for that matter?
Validation, for those looking for it. The judges aren't known, their qualifications are unknown, just exactly what it means photographically is unknown. But as one who originally signed up then didn't comment enough to stay on, it's a lot of work. Like many things, it's easy to criticize the work, it's a lot harder to turn up every day and do it.

I'm happy for those who get their work accepted, but as stated before, I prefer the way the PPG does things. I guess I'm just a populist. I like being voted in by the "people" as opposed to unknown experts with unknown qualifications.
11-02-2020, 01:40 PM   #195
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The judges aren't known, their qualifications are unknown, just exactly what it means photographically is unknown. But as one who originally signed up then didn't comment enough to stay on, it's a lot of work. Like many things, it's easy to criticize the work, it's a lot harder to turn up every day and do it.
I wouldn't be able to be a judge in one of these things... for one, I'd be extremely generous as the way I critique something is by finding the positive aspects rather than the negatives. ALso, I do not feel qualified enough to tell someone their work is good/bad.

I wanted to join an in-person photography club locally, and was going to, but then the pandemic happened.