Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 233 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2019, 02:41 AM   #136
Veteran Member

I have to admit that after looking at the images on the exclusive gallery, I was better off not knowing they were there.....! No disrespect to those who made the grade, some wonderful images there which are beautifully crafted, but I thought I was doing not bad until I saw them and realised I have a long way to go.....

Actually I'm glad that gallery exists, I like to think of it as a nice little advert for the Pentax brand and it gives us something to aspire to.

12-28-2019, 04:54 AM   #137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

not quite sure it is a nice little advert for Pentax brand.
Probably a little. Very little.

Might be more of being a nice little advert for the myriad of post processing software out there.
12-28-2019, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Might be more of being a nice little advert for the myriad of post processing software out there.
I haven't looked at the gallery, so I cannot opine on it, but I have recently changed my mind to the idea that I must learn and improve my post-processing to make the most of certain digital images.
12-28-2019, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

was probably not clear.

Not against post processing.
(Even sooc jpegs been post processed, by the cam).

But when done to a certain extent, in some ways ..... i dont know quite how to explain.
But as forum member 'bavd' said earlier (in this thread) >>

"They should rename the gallery to "the over the top photoshopped gallery"
Its more artwork than actual photos.
Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.
To my regret the monthly photo competition is moving in the same direction."

anyway, i do recognise, is all very subjective.
What one person thinks is "post processing overdone",
Another person may think "should have been pp'ed more here, less there" etc.

I cannot recall who said something like this, but i do recall coming across something like this, which goes:

"Photography is much harder than painting. The photographer has got to work with and around the situation that is in front of them, to express something. The painter, they can paint whatever they want to paint, how they want to paint it".

So, yeah, something like that.
And something like what forum member 'bavd' shared earlier.

But, as before, no "correct" or "incorrect".
Perhaps be more appropriate to amend it to "photoshopped gallery", as 'bavd' suggested.

12-28-2019, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #140
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote

I cannot recall who said something like this, but i do recall coming across something like this, which goes:

"Photography is much harder than painting. The photographer has got to work with and around the situation that is in front of them, to express something. The painter, they can paint whatever they want to paint, how they want to paint it".
Funny that the Impressionist painter were thought to be over the top with color and subject too. They were locked out of the French circuit and started their own.
Oddly it was partly because photography had taken the need for realism away.
One could argue that a phone in every pocket has taken over much of that need today.
12-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #141
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I have an idea. Maybe we should have a "Hall of Shame" thread? Post pictures of rejected submissions and the reason given?

...would this suggestion get me banned?
There was a thread on this very topic some time ago. I was a contributor to that thread having received some very "odd" comments on a couple of entries. By odd i mean comments that were factually incorrect, or just unhelpful. Most comments received were constructive criticism, which is appreciated and easy to handle, but others just left a cold feeling in the pit of my stomach. Eventually I had one accepted after about a dozen or so entries. I have not submitted one for a while now.mainly as i don't think I have anything 'different' enough or good enough.
12-29-2019, 05:02 AM   #142
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
There was a thread on this very topic some time ago. I was a contributor to that thread having received some very "odd" comments on a couple of entries. By odd i mean comments that were factually incorrect, or just unhelpful. Most comments received were constructive criticism, which is appreciated and easy to handle, but others just left a cold feeling in the pit of my stomach. Eventually I had one accepted after about a dozen or so entries. I have not submitted one for a while now.mainly as i don't think I have anything 'different' enough or good enough.
Too much postprocessing? - PentaxForums.com

01-25-2020, 06:33 AM   #143
Veteran Member

Reading this I thought I'd have a go so I submitted a image (it got accepted). I don't consider myself in the same class as the better photographers here.... so there is hope.

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-27-2020 at 03:34 PM.
01-25-2020, 07:45 AM   #144
Unregistered User

If you're worried about what people think about you as a photographer rather than photography itself, you'll never get better. Get yourself out of your own way. Let them criticize - if what people say about your pictures strikes you as hogwash, ignore it. If it's useful, use it.
01-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
If you're worried about what people think about you as a photographer rather than photography itself, you'll never get better. Get yourself out of your own way. Let them criticize - if what people say about your pictures strikes you as hogwash, ignore it. If it's useful, use it.
I love this...

I submitted a few that didn't make it and I also have submitted to the critique gallery... In all instances I've gotten quite useful tips and critiques (as well as extremely subjective comments that can be ignored).

Not all critiques are useful, but the ones that are, are worth a lot!
01-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everything* formerly exclusive wants to be inclusive these days.

*Clubs, Schools, neighborhoods, etc.
01-25-2020, 06:01 PM - 4 Likes   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Thinking on this, and considering the gallery in question, personally I would be happier if an image i had taken was nominated for the gallery rather than me putting it forward myself. I've always considered myself happy if I liked an image, if someone else likes it then that's a bonus, which is why I think I've never been one for entering competitions.

So should there be a nomination process for the gallery?
01-26-2020, 02:37 AM - 2 Likes   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Thinking on this, and considering the gallery in question, personally I would be happier if an image i had taken was nominated for the gallery rather than me putting it forward myself. I've always considered myself happy if I liked an image, if someone else likes it then that's a bonus, which is why I think I've never been one for entering competitions.

So should there be a nomination process for the gallery?

I think that's a great idea. I imagine it would widen the range of styles that would get considered for the PEG, which would attract more views and more interest from those of us who don't share the very specific aesthetic that has dominated so far.

It's great to see that two excellent photos made it into the gallery in December after nothing at all for months, so perhaps this thread has had a positive effect of some kind.

(I'd personally like to see something more like the range of styles that appears in Leica's LFI Gallery, although without so many photos of very poor people taken by very rich people.)
01-26-2020, 03:36 AM   #149
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I glanced at the first page of the gallery and the image of the Sparrowhawk caught my eye. There is something wrong with the reflection - its lowered perspective of the body should mean less of the back and less of the top of the bill should be seen compared to the direct view. And the junction of the reflection with the body is totally without ripples. I think a bit of cloning was involved
01-26-2020, 04:57 PM   #150
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I glanced at the first page of the gallery and the image of the Sparrowhawk caught my eye. There is something wrong with the reflection - its lowered perspective of the body should mean less of the back and less of the top of the bill should be seen compared to the direct view. And the junction of the reflection with the body is totally without ripples. I think a bit of cloning was involved
At the risk of the photographer reading this, I had reservations on the voting for that one and the other similar one and wondered if a reflection effect filter was employed.

Steve

(...gave thumbs down for the second on accounts of it being the same subject as the previous...)