Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2019, 06:01 AM   #1

Pixel Shift artifact with long exposure

As I couldn’t find anything about using pixel shift during long exposures and artifacts created by changing light i tried it myself. What I assumed was that changing light will affect colour registered by each pixel in the sensor, so from my camera’s point of view it means movement. I’ve set my camera for 30s exposure with motion correction and was very suprised with the outcome. Part of my shots were covered with lighter or darker stains. After quick check in rawtherapee I’ve found out that almost every pixel was masked as moving. Opening in DCU and switching off motion correction seems to do the job and picture look fine again. „Stains” seemed to be created by motion correction algorythm, so lighter parts were from pixel shift and darker from first frame. Seems that my camera just went a bit crazy after getting so many moving pixels in frame...
So if you are wondering, now you know, and if you just tried it by yourself you may not be as scared as I was

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
12-28-2019, 06:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yep, I can confirm this. I tried something similar and I could see squares all over the place. Too bad
12-28-2019, 01:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always just assumed it wouldn't work for long exposures. Either stuff would be moving, or the light would change. Maybe for product photography in a studio where the light can be controlled?
12-28-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

before even trying pixel shift sounds like something that would not be good for long exposures

12-28-2019, 03:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
before even trying pixel shift sounds like something that would not be good for long exposures
Not always true, every single long exposure (up to 30s) went good with one condition: motion correction should be disabled. Each shot had a big boost in resolution, no artifacts seen as long as there is no real motion in frame (as grass on a wind), even in changing light conditions. In most cases exposures from 5 to 15s were ok, even with MC on, only few of them resulted with artifacts as mentioned, but there comes the DCU which allows to disable MC in postprocessing.
12-28-2019, 08:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very interesting fact. Thank you.
12-29-2019, 01:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JerzyJ Quote
Not always true, every single long exposure (up to 30s) went good with one condition: motion correction should be disabled. Each shot had a big boost in resolution, no artifacts seen as long as there is no real motion in frame (as grass on a wind), even in changing light conditions. In most cases exposures from 5 to 15s were ok, even with MC on, only few of them resulted with artifacts as mentioned, but there comes the DCU which allows to disable MC in postprocessing.
Interesting that MC off worked better. Good to know.

12-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Interesting that MC off worked better. Good to know.
That’s for K1 mkII, on my K70 artifacts realted to movement are more severe, with a lot of green and yellow fringing, so it may look a lot worse in this scenario... I’ll chceck that some day.