Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2020, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone using Adaptalux Studio 2.0 for table top macro shots?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Looks like a great way to place light exactly where it's wanted. But, artificial continuous light rarely supplies enough light when working at f11-22, without resorting to time exposures. What are normal exposures with the Studio?
Thanks,
barondla

02-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Looks like a great way to place light exactly where it's wanted. But, artificial continuous light rarely supplies enough light when working at f11-22, without resorting to time exposures. What are normal exposures with the Studio?
Thanks,
barondla
I'll be interested in replies on this. I came across Adaptalux when they were first seeking investment money and have followed, discussed with them and handled it at shows. I decided not to buy it as I adapted LED sources and filters for my need. Still interested though ...
02-05-2020, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
much cheaper: Necklamps for reading books:
Hände frei LED hängende Halslampe Flexible Buchlampe Leselampe Werkstattlampen | eBay
03-11-2020, 05:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Would be interesting to find out. I've been eyeing these lights for some time, but the Adaptalux system is expensive indeed.

03-13-2020, 09:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

well, they don't give aperture/exposure info in their gallery. if you've got the dough, there's no harm in playing around, but plenty of people are using standard flashes with great results.

for me, if you can't diffuse it, if it's not bright enough, if it's more expensive, why bother. plus having all that weight cantilevered off of a plastic mounted hotshoe(k-1, k-1ii, kp) isn't great.
07-20-2020, 01:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think it looks grossly overpriced for the tech used. I also think you could get a similar effect using cheap LEDs from Ebay or elsewhere, similar to what pid suggested. If you go that route, some LEDs will impart an unpleasant colour cast. It's just trial and error until you find something you like, but you could try a lot more and spend a lot less that way.