Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2008, 05:36 AM   #1
Forum Member

Macro - P&S...?

I need to recommend a digital camera to someone who is intelligent but completely computer illiterate, but is well versed in using a manual film SLR. He has a copier/printer which accepts memory cards. His usage includes macro photography, with maybe 1 inch objects filling the frame. He's been using a Minolta 35mm SLR with macro filters.

I am going to demo my Pentax DSLR, and he has seen the near-macro that my Sigma 17-70 can do. It can almost focus on objects touching the filter.

However, I'm wondering if there are any compact cameras that can do reasonable macro.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

10-27-2008, 06:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any of the Wxx P&S cameras from Pentax (the waterproof ones) or the Z10 model can do very good macros. Can't talk about other models. Se example with my WPI.

Full frame, no retouching, using built in flash in "soft" mode.

Attachment 21190

Robert B.

Last edited by rburgoss; 11-18-2008 at 02:52 PM.
10-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

P&S sometimes are better for macro because of the much larger DOF
another consideration should be a Raynox adapter which has given some pretty impressive results
11-10-2008, 05:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I actually had a go at a Fuji Finefix S6500 the other day ... showing my mate how to use it a bit better ... he's a n00b to photography ... and he loves it now as it understands more of the options on it ... but I showed him the Macro/Super Macro option on it ... and he loves it ... and I found you can get the Raynox adaptor for this model as well .... and he is thinking of getting it now.

He loves his toys (he has RC cars, plane, heli's) ... and he now loves using his camera.

For an old bridge Finepix (there's better ones out there now) ... I was pretty impressed with it actually. I am tempted to find a cheap one on eBay as a quick little carry around for when i don't want to carry my DSLR gear. As it has all the manual options you want as well.