Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
which bryan peterson book?

Hi.

Bryan Peterson wrote 2 books on exposure:

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera Revised Edition
Powell's Books - Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera Revised Edition by Peterson. Bryan

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs
Powell's Books - Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs by Bryan Peterson

which is better? which one should I get?

thanks.

10-27-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
Ed in GA

The revised edition is the most commonly available one.

And, of course, the most up to date.

Get the revised edtion.

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Hi.

Bryan Peterson wrote 2 books on exposure:

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera Revised Edition
Powell's Books - Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera Revised Edition by Peterson. Bryan

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs
Powell's Books - Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs by Bryan Peterson

which is better? which one should I get?

thanks.
10-27-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Understanding exposure is a great book. Get the revised edition. I also recommend two of his other books

Learning to See Creatively
&
Understanding Shutter Speed

You can get good deals on all 3 of these books from fishpond.com.au - by far the cheapest I've found in Aus.
10-27-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! Found the book in fishpond.com.au. U guys are great.

10-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

they are around $20 each... get his complete collection!
10-27-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

He's also coming out with a new book next spring:
Amazon.com: Understanding Close-up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with or without a Macro Lens: Bryan Peterson: Books

I'm especially looking forward to getting my hands on this one.

Heather
10-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
Understanding exposure is a great book. Get the revised edition. I also recommend two of his other books

&

You can get good deals on all 3 of these books from fishpond.com.au - by far the cheapest I've found in Aus.
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Amazon.com: Understanding Close-up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with or without a Macro Lens: Bryan Peterson: Books

Heather
I have the revised edition of understanding exposure and I own Understanding Shutter Speed. All of his books are invaluable sources of info. I also have his latest book pre-ordered from amazon and i can't wait to read it.

My 2cents is to invest in all of them. Their great references, especially understanding exposure, and they can be gotten for pretty cheap now.

-Yale

10-28-2008, 03:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Thanks! Found the book in fishpond.com.au. U guys are great.
Ur Welcome. Enjoy

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
they are around $20 each... get his complete collection!
Not in Australia...most retail stores sell them for $50+. Cheapest online price is $35ish...still a bargain if you ask me. Bryan Peterson's books will do more for your photography than a new lens. A wise investment, I agree get the complete collection.
10-28-2008, 03:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

&

I have the understanding exposure from Amazon cheap as chips compared to Aus AU$17

cheers
10-28-2008, 04:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Cupic, was that with shipping? How was the dollar then?
When I was looking to buy the book, Amazon was the first placed I checked. With postage the total was about $28-30. I thought the $5-7 saving wasn't worth the extra shipping time. Besides we have to send some of our money in Aus...can't buy everything from the US.
10-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote

Heather
The best book on close-up and macro photography I've ever read is Closeups in Nature by John Shaw. It is packed with useful information, lots of examples (gorgeous images!), and clearly written. The book was published pre-digital but the techniques and technical aspects to macro are exactly the same.

I own books by both Shaw and Peterson. John Shaw's specialty is macro photography.
10-28-2008, 11:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Cupic, was that with shipping? How was the dollar then?
When I was looking to buy the book, Amazon was the first placed I checked. With postage the total was about $28-30. I thought the $5-7 saving wasn't worth the extra shipping time. Besides we have to send some of our money in Aus...can't buy everything from the US.

When I paid it was all in $US Peterson was 16.47 and the Magic lantern K10D was 13.57 and postage was 14.97=45.01 ( which @ nearly 90c/US$= $AU 50.46).ordered on the 02.08.08

now with $AU @ 60c/$US different story

cheers
10-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks for the great link to Fishpond ... what a great online store.
Fast as well ... I just signed up and ordered ... took me a maximum of 3-4 minutes from start to finish ... book is on it's way.

Happy Days.
10-30-2008, 02:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Thanks for the great link to Fishpond ... what a great online store.
Fast as well ... I just signed up and ordered ... took me a maximum of 3-4 minutes from start to finish ... book is on it's way.

Happy Days.
It is a great store. If you're like me, you'll be buying all your books from them now. Enjoy
10-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I will be from now on ... received another confirmation email from them stating what dates I can expect the book to arrive.