Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I normally don't post humor, but....

What do you do with a newly acquired FA* 600/4...??

Too good to pass up names removed to protect the innocence of the OP... apparently John acquired the FA* 600/4 at a smoking price back in 1997...

John Apr 22, 1997; 04:05 p.m.

Okay, I admit it - I am a not-quite-serious amateur. I take pictures for personal enjoyment, sharing with friends, and to build skills for a full-time hobby as I near retirement.
Recently I acquired an AF 600/f4 and 1.4 TC. I had no particular purpose in mind for it - I just bought it because it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get a great lens at a price I could afford. Prior to getting the 600/4 I was primarily interested in Macro pictures using 100 and 200mm lenses. Now I have a whole new range of photo opportunities, and I don't know quite where to start.
So, what's a person to do with their 600/f4? I am willing to experiment with subjects and styles. I have access to a good site at a major league baseball park, Fossil Rim Wildlife Park here in Texas, and I can do a small amount of traveling. For example, I am planning a trip to the Smokies in the fall. Since I live in a major metro area (Dallas/Ft. Worth), anything involving people and/or sports is also available.

Answers
Bob Apr 22, 1997; 04:34 p.m. (Marc: "this one is priceless")

You take it where everyone else takes their 600/4, and that is to Yellowstone in the fall. You can see huge herds of 600/4s milling around the park. They tend to congregate around sunset in the medows along with the elk.
You can recognize the 600/4 owners quite easily. They are found in small groups discussing back pain remedies.

Bob Apr 25, 1997; 12:06 p.m.
Before buying a 600/4, I'd recommend a much cheaper "600/4 simulator". You buy a 15lb bag of birdseed, attach $8000 in unmarked bills to it and stick it in a backpack with a big "Canon" or "Nikon" logo on it. Now you take this along with you everywhere you might say "I wish I had a 600/4" (I'm assuming you already carry a big tripod around, if not, carry one strapped to the backpack). You have to take all you other camera gear along too. The $8000 in small bills is to better simulate the anxiety you may feel when shipping the lens, or leaving it in your car or hotel room.
After a few weeks of this, re-evaluate your desire for a 600/4.

Don Apr 25, 1997; 12:30 p.m.
You could take it to dinner and then a movie, but don't expect it to go dutch and don't take it anyplace cheap or you'll NEVER hear the end of it... ;^)

One other thing. Get yourself a BAT -- that's "Big Ass Tripod"

Cheers!
Marc

10-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
Damn Brit

That's amusing Marc but I think that one from the other day was funnier.
10-31-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very sarcastic responses and funny. but really an odd question that sorta sounds like "lookit me!"
10-31-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can sympathize with some of the funny comments however, based on my experience last march in texas.

There I was all alone with a sigma 70-200 F2.8 and a 2x, when a small herd of 600 F4's came to the same tour boat.

I saw similar the year before at sanabel island in florida.

What I was totally surprised at is how many amatures needed a 600 F4 to get a shot of a heron. They are a bloody big bird to begin with and at wildlife centers very approachable, now a little warbler, I can see the need for something bigger.

If I had to make a law about lens size, it would be that the size and weight is inversly proportional to the square of the subject size and weight