Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #1

Struggling with Low Key Outside

I have been trying to figure out what would be the best set up for low key shots outside. I am interested in doing low key shots of farm machinery , barns and out buildings during the day. I have a Pentax K1 with all M lens . So TTL and HSS are probably no in my future.

My ideas so far really break down into 2 camps.

1 a pair of godox ad 200 pro with a soft box (magmod or the like)
2 a ten stop ND filter to really help crush the ambient light (since I will be limited to about 1/200 shutter speed)
3 a remote trigger with single pin firing (Thanks Javier)

The second idea I had is as follows

Led lights Litra studio with a soft box maybe x 2
I wonít need and Nd filter since I can set the shutter speed well above 1/200
I wonít need a remote trigger since I will be seeing the exposure in real time.

Do either of these setups seem correct or am I way off ?
If I were to go the strobe route do I need something bigger than an AD200 like the AD 600 to use outside in bright sun?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

04-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like fun Mike. Good luck and show us some results when you have them.

I've only played with this sort of thing a few times. I am absolutely no expert. My (indoor) experience though is that one light source with soft box is often sufficient; with low key images, you generally do not want fill-in from multiple angles. However, I have obtained pleasing results with a main light from the front (off-centre) and one directly behind the subject. It worked well with a crystal vase and flowers.

The ND filter sounds like a good idea. I haven't tried that.