Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2020, 11:35 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Combining interval shooting and a neutral filter on waterfalls

Set up a little experiment. Local waterfall is about perfect for pics at the moment. While I like water shots, I find the pure cream you get with just a neutral density filter is not as pleasing as I'd like. So I've been fiddling with combining interval shooting and neutral density filters to get a better effect.

Here is a composite of 10 frames each taken at 1/640sec together with a detail of that shot.

What we get here is a bit of a pointillist effect. Interesting, but probably not with this particular subject. (Surf, maybe?)

Here is a composite where each pic was taken at f14 and and a 6 stop filter mounted leading to .3sec/exposure together with a detail.

While I took a series of 25, I find that compositing about 8 frames (I use Silkypix Pro 10 now though I've used astro stackers in past experiments) seems to give the sort of texture I'm looking for. The horsetail texture reminds me more of sugar streaming than cream which visually I find more interesting. Still need to work with the technique a lot, but it feels like I'm on to something. Others must do this as well, but I don't know the field well enough to figure out where to look for more info.

I won't bother showing a totally creamy shot with the filters set higher--especially with this setting and lighting it's very boring to my eyes.

K-70/16-85mm w/ tripod

Last edited by jgnfld; 04-27-2020 at 12:30 PM.
04-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
What we get here is a bit of a pointillist effect. Interesting, but probably not with this particular subject.
You've likely use composite exposure in live view with electronic shutter enabled. You could also use the INT composite mode that doesn't use live view , ES disabled, won't produce dots in moving waters.
04-27-2020, 12:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You've likely use composite exposure in live view with electronic shutter enabled. You could also use the INT composite mode that doesn't use live view , ES disabled, won't produce dots in moving waters.
I was using interval shooting (1 per 2 sec) with LV and compositing the series in post with SP10 Pro, rather than in camera. I'll look into other combos. Thx.
04-27-2020, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The pointillist effect does not appeal to me, but we all know about matters of taste...

Steve

04-27-2020, 02:34 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Question...why interval and not multiple exposure as burst?

Steve
04-27-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Mainly because I left my remote shutter release at home--DOH--and wanted hands off as I was in a muddy recently flooded location and that was the quickest way to get the series of frames. There are others as you note. It's a side issue I probably never should have even mentioned.
04-27-2020, 03:18 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Steve
For falling or moving water, the interval time shouldn't be too short. If a globule of water takes 1 second to fall across the frame and you squeeze off a 7 FPS burst, there will be seven nicely spaced copies of that globule. It's a cool stroboscopic effect but maybe not a naturalist one.

Doing interval/multiexposure composites/stacks for slower moving water can require even longer intervals to allow floating leaves or foam to move far enough so that the viewer does not see or notice the multiple copies of each leaf/foam spaced across the frame.

It's not hard to look at moving things in a water scene, count off seconds, and gauge how long it takes for things to move across and out of the frame.
04-27-2020, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great practical advice above photoptimist.

04-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
For falling or moving water, the interval time shouldn't be too short. If a globule of water takes 1 second to fall across the frame and you squeeze off a 7 FPS burst, there will be seven nicely spaced copies of that globule. It's a cool stroboscopic effect but maybe not a naturalist one.

Doing interval/multiexposure composites/stacks for slower moving water can require even longer intervals to allow floating leaves or foam to move far enough so that the viewer does not see or notice the multiple copies of each leaf/foam spaced across the frame.

It's not hard to look at moving things in a water scene, count off seconds, and gauge how long it takes for things to move across and out of the frame.
1. Yeah, a strobe effect would NOT be pleasing to my eye here, though I didn't think about that issue. Will now in the future. The more random pointillist effect I got was just, er, well, mussy to my eye. But the strobe effect would be completely non naturalistic.

2. You know, I did actually vaguely think about that a bit when I told myself not to worry about some small colorful plastic balls that were circulating in the whirlpool. Correctly so. But it was nowhere near as thought out as your thinking here. Thx.
04-28-2020, 09:33 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote

Thanks for the detailed explanation. The usual suggestion on this site for water blur under bright conditions is for interval merge as a substitute for a suitable ND filter. I have tried a number of approaches, have not seen the advantage of using a set interval, and have wondered if I were missing something.

There are several considerations when merging for water blur, the two most obvious being the length of the exposures and the interval between. Not quite as obvious is the vigor and nature of the water motion itself. For example, I do a lot of non-merged tumbling stream work at about 1/10s - 1/15s and strangely, it is not unusual to get a fair number of droplets frozen at those speeds. Not all the droplets are "dropping". Merging multiple shots at that shutter speed merely multiplies the number of suspended drops.

Here is a short list of observations regarding this technique:
  • If one wants blur, it is good to have blur
  • In terms of blur, a stack of 50 exposures at 1/500s is not the same as a single exposure at 1/10s unless the interval is infinitely short (related to point above)
  • A definitive drop of one meter or more is easier to blur than a meter of drop spread over 10 meters distance
  • If there is a mix of fast and slow action in the frame, the slow parts will be the most problematic
  • There is a limit as to what might be attained by increasing interval length
  • Lake ripples are hard to blur
  • Even a mild ND filter can be an amazing help
  • Some leaves never drift out of an eddy, but may yield to removal in PP

Again, thanks for your comment. It helped remind me of the fine points of why merging for blur can be a challenge.

Steve
04-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the detailed explanation. The usual suggestion on this site for water blur under bright conditions is for interval merge as a substitute for a suitable ND filter. I have tried a number of approaches, have not seen the advantage of using a set interval, and have wondered if I were missing something.

There are several considerations when merging for water blur,...
Steve
Thx. Some points to ponder.

BTW, do you know where these issues are discussed in detail in any written source? As I said originally, I am presently experimenting fairly blind and surely there is experience out there that has been written down. I just don't know where to find it.