Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
To change lenses or not to change lenses. That is the question.

I bought my K200D kit with the DA 18-55 mm AL about two months ago and have been having lots of fun with. But I always missed having some zoom in it. So about three days ago I bought the DA 55-300 mm and I love it. But I am a bit concerned about changing lenses and dust getting on the sensor and stuff. And I mainly wanna use my gear while traveling. I read reviews and talked to friends asking if I should buy a DA 18-250 mm instead. I had mixed replies to it. Some said that changing lenses is a problem so go for the 18-250. Others said that if I didn't want to change lenses then whats the use of having the ability to do so and that a single wide range lens is not that good in quality. So still, I went for the 55-300. I basically wanted that professional feeling and thus opted for the 55-300 mm.

I would appreciate if you guys comment from experience what you feel about it.

11-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cleaning the sensor is a simple process. You shouldn't let worries about dust prevent you from fully enjoying your camera.
11-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Most of the time, all it takes to clean the dust off your sensor is to give it a few blows with a blower (Giottos Rocket blowers are considered the best). If you go into the menu, there is a sensor cleaning feature that will put the mirror into lockup position, allowing you to blow directly at the sensor to knock the dust off.

HTH,
Heather
11-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I change lenses several times each time I go shooting, I blow off the sensor regularly, and I've never had dust ruin an image. Then again, I also tend to shoot at wider apertures, which don't reveal as much dust; nor do I work in particularly dusty areas.

11-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just changed a FA50/1.4 for the DA55~300 today while outside in the wind.

My last 20 images had dust on the sensor.

Quick touch-up in PS, use the sensor cleaning function, blow off the sensor, problem solved.

Changing lenses with the body pointed down helps some, as does taking care to avoid when possible changing lenses outdoors when dust is in the air .

So far I have not been forced to perform a wet-cleaning, but I understand it is no big deal.
11-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
How often do you guys change lenses? I have yet done only one test round with my new 55-300 mm lens and there were times when I had to change back and forth between the 18-55 mm and 55-300 mm.

And yeah, for some reason I feel that the 18-55 AL which came with the kit is no more good. I feel like changing to a DA 16-45 mm. But its more expensive than the 55-300 mm! So, I thought of maybe buying an old second hand lens. Any suggestions. And what is that I should be aware for when buying a second hand lens?

And yeah again, thank you very much for the replies! Keep em commin.
11-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think changing lenses is not the issue here. Many people get DSLRs and never change their lenses and there's nothing wrong with that - you get to choose the lens you want and that best suits your budget.

I think the issue is that the 18-55 + 50-300 combo doesn't have a significant, if any, image quality advantage over the 18-250, so you win convenience by not having to swap lenses while on the field.

I have the 18-250 and it's a good lens. However I'm shooting a lot with primes lately, often changing them in the field. Put my body against the wind, keep the camera pointed down and do it quick - no dust problem on the sensor yet, only a single speck on the focusing screen.

11-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atyab Quote
How often do you guys change lenses? I have yet done only one test round with my new 55-300 mm lens and there were times when I had to change back and forth between the 18-55 mm and 55-300 mm.
Frequently is the only answer I can give. Of course I'm more careful in a dusty environment, but change non the less. SLR-cameras are all about the ability to change lenses. And there are more about lenses than only their focal length. A 18-250mm or so monster does not give you 231 primes of focal length 18, 19, 20,...248, 249, 250 mm. Besides that it will probably be less than good optically in the widest and longest parts of the range, it will keep about the same properties throughout. On the contrary, if you have a set of primes to choose between, each lens has different properties in terms of Depth of Field, Bokeh, close up ability, colors, etc etc. So you change lens for many reasons, to influence the results you get, to adapt to each new motive. I'm not a friend of huge camera bags, but usually have 3-4 lenses in a small shoulder bag which does not look at all as a camera bag, or two lenses in my pockets, but they go on and off the camera all the time. Not changing lenses on a SLR camera for fear of dust is like missing the point with having a SLR camera.

Sounds to me like you now have the short and long zoom lenses you need. Sounds to me like you should go and get your first prime lens instead, and then change lens more often.
11-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

i know changing lenses shouldn't be an issue but it is to me, i utterly hate it, one reason i got the 18-250 having only one body sucks when you have close ups then a second later a zoom shot then a second later a close up, it really is a time muncher.
11-02-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by impete82 Quote
i know changing lenses shouldn't be an issue but it is to me, i utterly hate it, one reason i got the 18-250 having only one body sucks when you have close ups then a second later a zoom shot then a second later a close up, it really is a time muncher.
Well, when I started shooting with SLR cameras I had two bodies and often carried both, not to avoid changing lenses, but to be able to run on different film ISO at the same time. That is to me probably the greatest change with digital cameras: I can jump up and down in ISO between every picture. But Pentax film bodies before autofocus etc etc was so compact that it was no effort. Today I would never carry two digital bodies for any reason. Which means I can carry one more lens instead and change lenses even more often. (D)SLR cameras are all about the lenses. The body is of secondary importance. You change lens depending on what you want to achieve. Being restricted to one zoom means being restricted to a limited optical capacity and performance. That is worse than any dust.
11-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

How often do you guys change lenses?
I usually have around three lenses with me (the specific lenses depend on the situation). If I'm out shooting for an hour, I might change lenses half a dozen times. It's no big deal.
11-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How often do you guys change lenses?
As often as needed

My most common kit when walking around is:
  • DA* 16-50/2.8 - usually on the k10d when I leave the house.
  • DA 12-24/4 - The best scenic lens I have ever owned - for the wide view.
  • DA* 50-135/2.8 - I've picked up a whole stop in speed over the A 70-210/4.
  • M 100/4 Macro - When you have to get close, you need it.
I change lenses as I need to. My full kit adds the 70-210 and the M 400/5.6 plus a tele converter or two . I change lenses carefully, try to keep the lens mount facing down, always put caps on the lenses when they are not on the camera (keeps the dust off the rear element). When possible, I change the lenses in the truck or the trailer, a convenient washroom, or any place that is out of the wind. Next best is under a jacket.

I've had one (1) dust particle and one (1) eyelash since last November when I bought the camera. They came off with the blower without problems, and were easily cloned out in post processing, although I must admit that the eyelash was a bit annoying to clone out because of the shape and size.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 11-02-2008 at 09:52 PM.
11-03-2008, 05:55 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
How about changing lenses while walking on a street and stuff? What are the things I should take care of and which equipment should I have just in case some dust does go in? I read about the air blower. Anything else?

I am also now thinking of buying a second hand lens. What are the things I should be aware of?

Is changing lenses while doing travel photography really an inconvenience?
11-03-2008, 06:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

How about changing lenses while walking on a street and stuff? What are the things I should take care of and which equipment should I have just in case some dust does go in? I read about the air blower. Anything else?
I do it all the time. Just make sure you are semi-coordinated and don't drop the lens on the street. I have a lens pen that I used to brush dust off the front and rear elements when I notice it, but 99% of the time, you won't even notice the dust. Just don't use your fingers, the oils will make cleanup much harder.

QuoteQuote:
I am also now thinking of buying a second hand lens. What are the things I should be aware of?
I wouldn't buy a lens without seeing a couple pictures of it. It's always a crapshoot, but no more so than buying new off of Amazon.

QuoteQuote:
Is changing lenses while doing travel photography really an inconvenience?
No. As long as you can anticipate what lens you'll need for the next shot, it won't take more than about 15 seconds (tops) to change lenses. If you have to take a backpack off, kneel down, go through the bag, it will take much longer. I use a shoulder bag, and soon a sling bag, so changing lenses is a simple matter of reaching in for what I need.

If you think about it, most of what you'll be shooting while traveling will be static subjects (buildings, landscapes, museum pieces), or people. Unless you are shooting something fast paced, you'll have plenty of time to switch lenses if needed.
11-03-2008, 06:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

First thing that I do is turn offcamera. Try to find area out of wind or at least sheld camera with body adn remove lens with camera facing down, make sure that replacment lens base is clean and install with camera still pointed down. Replace cap on removed lens to keep it clean.
I have had my K100D for year and half and have used rocket blower 5 or 6 times. Never had to use the wet swab methoid but have it if needed.
K10D for 8 months and have used rocket blower on it once last month after a trip to S. Dakota Bad Lands, so my feelings is that the sensor cleaning on start up does really work. Changing lenses can and does create the problem of dust bunnies on your photo's but they are not going to harm your camera.
istDL I bought to set up for macro photography but havn't had it but for couple months but havnt had any dust problems with it yet. Regardless of which camera I am usng it most likey is goin to have 2 or 3 lense changes per day and some times even more.
jim