Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2020, 10:52 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also am drawn mostly to your monochrome images. Minimalism, shape and texture come to the fore, and you process them very well.

If you really want to develop a personal style, I would perhaps work on that.

06-22-2020, 04:06 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you to everyone who took the time to read, look, and reply. There are a lot of comments here that are very helpful to me. Very deeply appreciated!

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
I think that your strong point is in catching certain details and emphasize them.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I also am drawn mostly to your monochrome images. Minimalism, shape and texture come to the fore, and you process them very well.
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
You have a better eye for details than bigger vistas
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
You have an eye for detail and elements in the landscape you see and I think that is where you should head
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
you tend to like structure and texture in nature, especially the finer details of plants, rocks, and objects in genera
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
What I see is someone who enjoys the lines, shapes, and textures of things.
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
You seem to enjoy conveying a sense, or mood, of a place. You also enjoy the details, almost as thought you are asking the viewer to stop for a moment and look a bit longer.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Not sure if I have an answer as to what style is but I do find a strong preference to your images that have a more minimalist look.
Wow...that was unexpectedly strong confirmation of what I enjoy doing.

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
This makes me think that you could begin seriously exploring black & white photography.
I would say your postprocessing is pretty good. If there is anything to say, I think it's that in some lower contrast shots, you could work to provide more tonal contrast in the highlights, such as in your pears photo. In that photo, which looks pretty nice, you could brighten some of the tones close to the brightest tone I think. I am not talking about a massive change, just a subtle adjustment to create more tones in the image for more contrast, especially since the image is in black and white.
I really do like black and white, (and yes, there is a lot to learn). Then I run across some wonderful colors. Conundrum.

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
On the other hand, with a few exceptions, your landscape stuff, the wider view, is quite a lot weaker, like you don't quite know what you should be looking for and doing with it.
You have chosen some very nice scenery for your landscapes, but many of the wide-angle ones lack strong foregrounds, and that is something that would add some interest to those backgrounds and middle grounds.
I see what you're saying, and I think you're right. They are a bit lacking and I think 'don't know what I should be doing with it' is quite accurate. This was helpful, thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by alex66 Quote
Firstly have you thought of working towards a finished project? Something you have an interest in or a passion for, then you can play around with sequencing of images, looking for specific things to fit with in the project.
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
you might consider a bit of curation
I like this idea. It seems like a next-level approach for me. Not only reducing the clutter of similar images, but looking at it as a holistic collection rather than individual works; then taking it a step further and deliberately building a holistic collection. Thank you for the suggestion.

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
To be honest, it was a lot of gravestones, only one I liked is the one with the little bird on top of a stone.
That shot with the little bird is by far my favorite of the day, and will stick around for a while. The others were actually for a little experiment I tried out (read about it here if you're interested: The 2020 Monthly Challenge - June - The Normal field-of-view - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com). Those probably won't stay long after that thread is over. The other one I kind of liked was the one with the faces carved into the top of the stones. Not only because the faces were quaint, but because after over 150 years you can actually still see the guidelines that the engraver used to make sure his letters were straight and uniform. That brought a little smile to my face when I saw it.

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Some photos with a confusing or non defined subject will still be seen by some people as having a subject because of their natural inclination to that. But others won't. Hopefully the photographer is showing the photo so others can see what the photographer found special.
This is actually a really good point, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I hadn't thought about it like that before, but what you say totally makes sense. And no offense taken at all; your entire comment was valuable feedback.

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Here's a well timed video on this topic, I liked his story:
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
he encourages people to also retain the freedom of shooting whatever it is that makes them happy
Thanks for the links. The first video was quite good. He has a great story there, and it's heartening to see someone putting their heart and soul into their work like that. I've got the second video queued up for viewing later.

This was (again) all very helpful, and I have some good solid takeaways for improvement. Thank you all again!!!

Last edited by Sir Nameless; 06-22-2020 at 04:07 AM. Reason: grammar
06-22-2020, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #18
Unregistered User

I observed that you seem to like variations and contrast in your subjects. The pictures I noticed seem to compare differences in textures, colors, patterns (regularity contrasted with irregularity, e.g., the regular hexagonal holes lined up on an unexpected diagonal). Even the landscapes do that (fog contrasted w/still surface of pond). I suggest there's something in your brain that likes to explore such contrasts, they increase the drama of your pictures. I'd say be more alert to what you're doing when you compose a shot, think about what it is you like about that shot. As you become better informed about yourself by making inferences from what you're doing, you'll be better able to locate good subjects and to better emphasize the things that you're seeing.

One criticism: most of the pictures lack context. It's the surroundings that give the subject meaning.
06-22-2020, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
I feel like it's time to consolidate and narrow my practice so that I can concentrate in getting better at something specific. But I'm not quite sure what that should be.
First, I want to start by saying that your photos are good and clearly you've learned some good techniques.

BUT, a person should concentrate on something that they enjoy; are passionate about. The fact that you're asking tells a reasonable person that you have not yet found your passion: you wouldn't need to ask if you did. My advice is to keep looking. Forget the stills and landscapes. You've "been there, done that" and they apparently don't float your boat. Maybe street photography, wildlife or people interacting, birds in flight, etc. Whatever it is, if you find it, you'll know.

Best of luck finding your passion.

06-22-2020, 11:33 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Forget the stills and landscapes. You've "been there, done that" and they apparently don't float your boat.
I'll respectfully disagree here -- you (the OP) must have been drawn to those subjects or you wouldn't have shot and processed and posted them. Keep working with the subjects you're drawn to, and ask yourself which of your images you think are most successful. Then try to figure out why. Ask the same questions about other photographers' work you admire.
06-22-2020, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
BUT, a person should concentrate on something that they enjoy; are passionate about. The fact that you're asking tells a reasonable person that you have not yet found your passion: you wouldn't need to ask if you did. My advice is to keep looking.
Appreciate you taking the time to look and comment. You may be entirely right, and there's something lurking around the corner that I haven't tried that might just be my thing. But I guess what I was looking for (and maybe I didn't communicate it as well as I could have) was some advice about how to build on what I'm already doing. Some folks here were kind enough to point out places where images weren't telling a good story, or were ambiguous, or could have been better executed. That's good. It gives me things to deliberately practice.

The conundrum of choosing between wide and deep--where do you spend your limited time to make the most progress--and get the most enjoyment?

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Keep working with the subjects you're drawn to, and ask yourself which of your images you think are most successful. Then try to figure out why. Ask the same questions about other photographers' work you admire.
Certainly, will do!
07-20-2020, 01:31 AM   #22
Veteran Member

You may not be seeking validation but I'm going to give you some anyway. I love the style of your work and I think some of it is pretty great.

One of your strengths is how you perceive contrast. You seem to have an eye for isolating your subject in a pleasing way. I'm not a huge fan of BW photography but I think it's very effective for some of your work.

None of the opinions in this thread pertaining to your work is really salient to your problem. Including mine. You shoot from an artistic bent, like I do. Your vision will be developed by asking yourself questions, and over time learning to ask yourself better questions. Nobody else can answer this for you, because your art is an expression of you.

The only obstacle I can see in your path from what I've read in this thread is your lack of trust with yourself. I used to suffer this in a big way, and in some areas I still do. The answer is much the same, in that I resolved it to a great extent through self analysis and reflection, and this is a fancy way of saying I spent time thinking with myself in somewhat structured ways.

I'd suggest you carve out some alone time, as much as you can bear, and then a little more. If it's feasible, of course. I realize this is a luxury for many people. It's in isolation that we start to listen to our selves for want of any other voice at all. Just keep asking questions, and try to answer yourself as honestly as you can. Writing can help, too. Our memories really aren't great for this kind of stuff, and sometimes being forced to slow down by our fingers helps. Notes help.

And your sloth picture is adorable!

07-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
The only obstacle I can see in your path from what I've read in this thread is your lack of trust with yourself. I used to suffer this in a big way, and in some areas I still do. The answer is much the same, in that I resolved it to a great extent through self analysis and reflection, and this is a fancy way of saying I spent time thinking with myself in somewhat structured ways.
Thanks for looking, the compliment, and your insight.

I realize this is a luxury for many people.
Oh, you ain't kidding!

And your sloth picture is adorable!
Thanks! I spent a lot of time trying to get a good shot of that guy. Soon after I started looking at him, he started coming down from his perch and got rather close to me (it was a long wait ). I really think he wanted to be social. Eventually he posed as you saw, like he knew what I wanted. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if he did...
07-20-2020, 12:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

They're wonderful animals. He probably wanted to climb you. If you're unfamiliar, look up the videos of the sloth sanctuary in Costa Rica on Youtube. I think you'd get a big kick out of it.