Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2020, 08:34 AM   #16
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the lighting tips, I hope to try out some miniature photos now that shorter daylight hours are on the here.
I am only starting to try artificial lighting.

I own two LumeCubes, with gels and other modifiers, and I am impressed with how much light they provide in such a small form factors.

11-22-2020, 08:39 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

From a few years ago... for those who are interested.
Basic light table - diffuser box and commentary - PentaxForums.com
11-22-2020, 11:57 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Those are very good results! I should do something like this once I get back to painting those miniatures I haven't finished in half a decade... *glances uncomfortably
11-23-2020, 01:47 AM   #19

Great video, and your accent is fine. I can understand everything you're saying

I use a similar setup for taking some product photos, can never go wrong with a bit of cardboard

11-23-2020, 02:23 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I think the photography is the lesser of your skills when compared to the model making, and the photography is fantastic! Great photos of excellent subjects.
11-24-2020, 07:57 PM   #21

Very impressive, one can be fooled to think it's real.
Reflection on the finishes would add a sense of realism.
11-25-2020, 01:54 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
From a few years ago... for those who are interested.
Basic light table - diffuser box and commentary - PentaxForums.com
Interesting, and great how it shows the differences in the various configurations. Thanks for sharing
11-28-2020, 10:25 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazing!!! The Corvettes, Camaro and Ferrari look like the real thing. Even knowing they are models you can't find anything about them that tells you they are models. Makes sense that you are so talented at fixing cameras when it appears you are very comfortable working with tiny things.
What brand of models do you work with?

12-01-2020, 02:50 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow ! They look really life-like and realistic. How exactly did you superimpose the models onto the background with the pictures on the wall ?
12-04-2020, 09:59 PM - 3 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you all for the nice comments! I really appreciate!

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Amazing!!! The Corvettes, Camaro and Ferrari look like the real thing. Even knowing they are models you can't find anything about them that tells you they are models. Makes sense that you are so talented at fixing cameras when it appears you are very comfortable working with tiny things.
What brand of models do you work with?
The subject will determine what model I start with. But most parts are replaced with scratchbuilt of my own (i.e. I make my own parts). Most common are Revell but I've used pretty much everything under the sun in the past 40 years or so. Plastic kits, resin kits, some metal ones and even started with friction toys.
Here is current project that started with a toy:
2011 LeMans winning C6R GT2 | Motorsport Modeling

and here are two with many parts replaced:
Dan Gurney's '68 Indy 500 Ride - WIP: Model Cars - Model Cars Magazine Forum

Me? doing a '32? Nahhh!!! It can't be! - WIP: Model Cars - Model Cars Magazine Forum

And making a small part:

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Wow ! They look really life-like and realistic. How exactly did you superimpose the models onto the background with the pictures on the wall ?
The pictures are printed to the correct scale size. Most pictures are my own but I also do posters, calendars etc. The 2 blue cars and the white one are actually my own models in the same setup. The top pics are me with Ron Fellows, my favorite race car driver. No 2 models share the exact same pics on the walls. They are held in place by double face tape.

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Man...those two Corvettes look like the real thing! I would never have known they were models without you revealing it. Are those simulated light switches on the wall behind the white one? And the photograph on the wall behind it adds to the realism. Brilliant! Great job!
The electrical outlets were printed and trimmed at the correct scale (1/25). A little dab of white glue in the cardboard is all it needs.

As you can see I'm very passionate about this 40+ years hobby which complements with photography. I can spend years on this topic.

Thanks!
12-05-2020, 02:37 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been reading throught the C6R Corvette thread and, despite knowing *nothing* about cars, I'm in awe with yiur attention to detail. What an outstanding job.
12-07-2020, 10:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
(X-posted from the 6MP club)

Hello,

I don't usually do video. But I shot a quick and dirty video for some friends in another forum who asked me about photographing scale models; my other hobby. My K100D Super did a cameo appearance on my video.
I absolutely hate my accent, more than my voice. In my mind I speak like James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman
Actually English is my second language.
This is not exactly a gear oriented video but more of technique.
I hope you like it.

YouTube

Here are some samples of my work over the years:

1/24 scale

1/35 scale

1/48 scale

1/25 scale

1/25 scale

1/100 scale

1/350 scale

Thanks,
Ismael
Thank you - very helpful!
12-08-2020, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #28

this is my Ferrari 312P at 1:18 scale

12-08-2020, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank You for that video. Im ready to be more gentle with my next Amazon box! And I am so glad I hung onto my K10d.

Ken
12-09-2020, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Great work!! So simple yet so effective, and no PP! And the shots of the car really do look real. Amazing! Very well done.