Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Astrotracer - maximum exposure times?

I can't find a list for the astrotracer with maximum exposure times for different focal length. I use a Pentax K-3 II.
Does anyone have a link?

07-27-2020, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This page has the info as it is listed as part of the O-GPS1 but the functionality is really dependent on the IBIS so the K-3 should match your K-3ii. However keep in mind that in my experience I've found these number to be optimistic if going after deep sky objects. If you have a good calibration and are on the wide to normal focal length of things and are going for not noticeable trails these would be a more accurate time. When going after deep sky objects I've found that 1/4 the recommended time for a given setup and sky location (the camera will give you it's estimate) produces very good results. I have both a K-3 + O-GPS1 and K-3ii and have found that their tracking ability with a quality calibration on each is basically the same and I haven't noticed any difference.

The declination is not from the horizon but is the declination to the celestial pole, so 90 degrees means you are pointed at the celestial north or south pole and 0 degrees means you are pointed somewhere along the celestial equator.
07-27-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sindbad1 Quote
Does anyone have a link?
Page 55 in the K-3II manual has the information you desire. The range is from 0'10" to 5'00". In case you don't have a copy, it is available for free download from Ricoh Imaging Japan.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/download_manual.html

Steve
07-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
This page has the info as it is listed as part of the O-GPS1 .....
Thank you. That is what I was looking for.