Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2008, 12:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Surprise Purchase! K20d on order...

I wanted to check out the current prices on K20d to compare to the market place... you know, for future reference... down the road. Amazon had a couple "used - good condition" bodies (opened box, minor cosmetic damage etc.) for $660... Interesting I thought...

I went back just now and one had popped up listed as New condition in an opened box for $550. Needless to say, it's on order.

This is probably also a returned item, but I can return it within 30 days if I'm unhappy with it... OMFG I just bought a camera! (My wife's gonna flip!)

11-06-2008, 01:24 AM   #2
Damn Brit

Tell her it's your christmas present.
Congratulations on your purchase Josh.
11-06-2008, 02:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
OMFG I just bought a camera! (My wife's gonna flip!)

Flip...with excitement because it's the K20D!...and because she knows how much you deserve this. Enjoy the new cam, it was a steal at that price.
11-06-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just start the conversation with "Honey, you would not believe how much money I SAVED us just now!!!"

That at least always gets a smile from my wife before she beats me to a bloody pulp.

11-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Tell her it's your christmas present.
Congratulations on your purchase Josh.
Thanks Gary, I've been happy with the K200d, but I've been shooting at iso 1600 a lot lately, so along with other things (bigger viewfinder, bigger buffer, AF correction, more pixels...) I'm looking forward to improved high ISO performance.
I've been planning to a K20d when the price came down - I think this counts.

QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
Flip...with excitement because it's the K20D!...and because she knows how much you deserve this. Enjoy the new cam, it was a steal at that price.
I really couldn't pass up that price... I tried (just not for very long).

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Just start the conversation with "Honey, you would not believe how much money I SAVED us just now!!!"

That at least always gets a smile from my wife before she beats me to a bloody pulp.
She took it pretty well... I'll try to talk her into keeping the K200d as her camera, but I don't know how that'll go...
11-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Igilligan

Ohhhhhhhh

You are so Dead!

Dont listen to these guys they are drinkin' the kool-aid. With friends like these.....

Oh, You are so dead

Last edited by Igilligan; 11-06-2008 at 03:06 PM.
11-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Ah, but at least he will die happy!

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
You are so Dead!

Dont listen to these guys they are drinkin' the kool-aid. With friends like these.....

Oh, You are so dead

11-06-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who gets the inheritance? I could use a good back up body.

Just buy lots of shiny stuff for her at Christmas, they really are a "girl's best friend" (and a guy's savior!)

Congrats on the great deal.
I thought I did well 6 weeks ago for $925 with a grip. Since then it seems they have dropped below $700 almost everywhere.
11-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Ah, but at least he will die happy!
Probably not... if he confesses before the package arrives (and we know he will) He may never even get to hold his "cause of death" in his cold little hands!

Last edited by Igilligan; 11-06-2008 at 05:51 PM.
11-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
Forum Member

Great Buy and at an excellent price too. Just take lot's of family shots and she'll forgive you in no time.
I too paid about a grand a couple of months ago. Some guys have all the luck
11-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

dude you are in trouble remeber it is much easier to ask for forgivness, than it is to ask for permission
11-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
Damn Brit

As soon as you unpack it, put a scratch on the body. Then she can't make you return it.
11-14-2008, 04:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's here...

Just came about an hour ago. I can tell someone played with the camera and then returned it, as some of the menu options were changed (set to record 6MP jpegs??? def. not the default there), but the body seems flawless. The battery had some charge, so I was able to play for a few minutes before it showed a half charge and I figured I better start from a fresh charge. I seems to focus nicely and work well, I'll have to check it out thoroughly to make sure it doesn't have any hidden flaws, but so far so good.

I'm sure there are threads like this, (I'll go search soon, and I already RTFM (downloaded the PDF)) but if anyone wants to tell me their personal tweaks they like in the custom and settings menus, I'd be obliged... My K200D didn't have a user mode for instance, so I'll have to play with that... Is that something you do regularly or do you just live in Av mode (or something else) like I'm used to? Also, what's your personal maximum ISO for things like indoor events or sports?

If you know of a good "What K20D settings do you use?" thread feel free to point me too it in case I miss it in the search.

Last edited by heliphoto; 11-14-2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Use of question marks was poorly taught in my school, and I seem to forget to preview for proofreading too.
11-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

So your not dead? or she has not seen it yet good luck with the new toy
11-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, she's not home yet, but I've already told her about it and lived (I'm cooking dinner right now which ought to help too). The next risky moment is when I tell her I want to keep the K200D too .