Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #46

First, Hoya (Pentax's parent co) is a rather diversified set of companies, not just cameras and lenses. While not immune from any business challenges, I would think that they would not unload it so soon after buying it.

Second, the camera business has a tail attribute,e.g. upon acquisition of a customer, they tend to be "sticky" and leverage their lenses as the bodies are upgraded. I'm not an old timer w/ legacy lenses, but I sure love my current DA*'s.

Samsung's #1 competitor is Pentax, so I think if Hoya were to exit the business that it just acquired 9 months ago (highly unlikely, maybe in a couple of years), I think it would be a huge positive as Samsung would either buy Pentax or certainly keep rights to manufacture K mount lens compatible bodies. In 2005, Samsung surpassed SONY to become Businessweek's #1 consumer brand. Keep in mind that when Konica Minolta exited the camera business, they allowed Sony to keep it going and what happened? Sony, in just TWO years is producing excellent cameras.

So, if this were to happen, it would likely happen in no less than 12-24 months. At that time, I would stick with Samsung, see if they have a strategy similar to Sony's, then if nothing good came out of that, I would switch to Sony.

11-11-2008, 02:00 AM   #47

Photos: Gallery
In Australia, the K200D is popping up everywhere that normally did not even sell dSLR's. I can see when the K2000D hits the shelves here, it will be right along side them.

I enjoy walking into Officeworks (warehouse style office supplies) and seeing the ONLY dSLR for sale is the K200D amongst a range of P&S. No other lenses but the kit lens at a set sub $700 price.

I can see the average joe new to photography looking at a good P&S and then think for the SAME price I can have that dSLR and have delusions of grandeur. With that, they are hooked and now an integral member of a growing Pentax family. With the K2000D available too at a good price. I think the future is bright.

The entire dSLR market is growing and with Pentax's current strategy I think it will continue to do so. Better a good entry model K2000D than to have released an expensive K2D in my opinion.

Getting back on topic though, I will stick with shopping for one of the 24,000,000 lenses that will still fit my camera if the unthinkable could ever happen.
11-11-2008, 04:18 AM   #48
Veteran Member

If not Pentax...buy Samsung then n/t

Daniel, Toronto
11-11-2008, 05:06 AM   #49
Banned

if Pentax died tomorrow I would still be using Pentax for as long as I pursue photography.

however, if for some reason I had to switch, I imagine that I would choose Olympus.

11-11-2008, 07:08 AM   #50
Inactive Account

If Pentax died tomorrow I would score a couple of K20's and continue snapping. Probably buy some awesome lenses for cheap too.

If Pentax died tomorrow and all the bodies in the world blew up at the same time...I would buy the body that could accept K mount lenses...then buy some awesome lenses for cheap.

If Pentax died tomorrow and all the bodies and lenses in the world blew up and K mount was no more. I would take a serious look at the Olympus and Nikon lines, or p/u the new Microsoft camera as they would likely join the foray.

c[_]
11-11-2008, 07:37 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
If Pentax died tomorrow I would score a couple of K20's and continue snapping. Probably buy some awesome lenses for cheap too.

If Pentax died tomorrow and all the bodies in the world blew up at the same time...I would buy the body that could accept K mount lenses...then buy some awesome lenses for cheap.

If Pentax died tomorrow and all the bodies and lenses in the world blew up and K mount was no more. I would take a serious look at the Olympus and Nikon lines, or p/u the new Microsoft camera as they would likely join the foray.

c[_]
I don't think that the lens' are going to drop like a rock if Pentax suddenly disappeared or all the bodies blew up. Lens' seem to hold their prices very well when you have a good copy of it. I don't think "cheap" is the right word for most of them.
11-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #52
Veteran Member

as we all know Pentax cameras are a division of the bigger Pentax Corp.

If I was the CEO I certainly would be worried about the performance of this division and would put certain strategies in place.

Pentax Camera div was flatlining and losing massive market share to Canon/Nikon/Oly, they had to do something quickly and they did, they produced the incredible K10D which was then touted (by all photographic reviewers) as THE camera to change budding and present photographers views of Pentax cameras - what happened - nothing

Yes we who know incredible value or those with a horde of Pentax lenses bought a Pentax.

But the rest of the world still only had two makes on their lips Canon/Nikon and then Sony suddenly leapt on the scene putting out exceptional DSLRs on their 1st attempt!

Pentax then produced the K20D which hardly woke up the photographic world and essentially churned up sales from existing K10D owners - not great for a division.

As of now the K20D is not featured as a competing camera by most photographic magazines as Nikon/Canon/Sony has them agog with their latest whizz bang offerings

Pentax now possibly thinking "what the hell do we have to do, to get our DSLR's recognized" has released their latest offering the KM as I believe to attract the masses - Hoya possible looking to see if this strategy will work to raise the camera division out of the proverbial dust.

The K10D didn't, nor the K20D or K200d.

There is a great possibility that Pentax camera division will be sold off or dropped - heck I never ever thought that it would happen to Minolta - and I loved using their stuff.

If things do go sour I would just keep on using my K10D until it's dead and then make a decision.

PS - Still today I still can't understand why the Pentax K10D did not make a huge impact with re: sales

Last edited by dylansalt; 11-11-2008 at 09:30 AM.
11-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
PS - Still today I still can't understand why the Pentax K10D did not make a huge impact with re: sales
IMHO it's mostly mindshare. The older folks still think of Pentax.
The younger ones think Canon (because of their Elph and Rebel commercials by Sharapova/Agassi) and Nikon (Ashton Kutcher commercials highlighting video mode and the new touchscreen P&S's to the iPod generation).

This leads to a vicious cycle of not being able to get inexpensive Pentax cams at local Best Buy stores to touch/feel it and see how it's more solid than Canon/Nikon, and stores not wanting to carry them because they don't have enough market share and don't kick as much marketing dollars as Sony/Nikon/Canon.

What I don't understand is why Olympus is in more stores than Pentax even though they have even less market share
11-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #54

Taking a walk through Zhongguancun in Beijing and you are surrounded by a dozen super sized electronic shopping centres. Each one seemingly bigger than the last.

Countless sales people shouting at the seemingly rich westerner ( they really don't know me that well at all ). My ears are ringing with the sounds of Canon Sir, Nikon Sir or Sony Here!

I hold my camera in my hand proudly and say "Pentax!" to be greeted by profound silence on their behalf.

While it would have been nice to see a wide ranging of Pentax equipment before me, I actually enjoyed being left alone by the pushy natured sale people. More time for me to actually take pictues.
11-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
There is a great possibility that Pentax camera division will be sold off or dropped - heck I never ever thought that it would happen to Minolta - and I loved using their stuff.
Highly doubt that. Sigma seems to make enough money selling their camera that they just bought Foveon, the company making their sensor.

And now THAT'S a niche camera with negligible market share.