Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2020, 10:48 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's are some simple simulators for goofing around with the shutter/fstop/ISO relationship.

I like this one but is now limited to 15 free shots. Just refresh the page...
CameraSim

Simple, but does not show motion blur...
http://www.andersenimages.com/tutorials/exposure-simulator/

Or this one from coughCanon. Has helpful analysis.
Play | Canon Explains Exposure

09-08-2020, 08:25 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In the ancient days I read a book called "The Amateur Photographer's Handbook" by Arron Sussman. It is very good at fundamentals like f-stops, focus, ASA/ISO, lighting and composition. It also explains how lenses and camera work etc. The image capture technology may have changed, but the concepts covered are good. IMHO a good place to start. You can answer any questions she may have. Available used on Amazon.
11-09-2020, 08:17 AM   #33
Forum Member

Michael Freeman 'The Photographer's Mind' Also tell her to look at books of photographs by soem established photographers e.g. Saldago
11-14-2020, 09:20 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Tom Ang's How to Photograph Absolutely Everything is terrific for getting a person out taking photos without worrying too much about technical aspects. You have to start somewhere and this is full of great ideas and examples.
I have a copy of this book, haven't read it through, but maybe I should.

11-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #35

Jerry, Some great recommendations and yes the Peterson's book is great.
I also found "Photography Demystified - your guide to gaining creative control...." David McKay a good read.
What is also useful is his "action steps" as you read through the chapters, executing what you have read/learned as well as
his suggestions to actually shooting and the thought process - choosing ISO, action or depth priority, etc - in a simple laid out process for the beginner.
11-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #36
Forum Member

To expand on my earlier post. Separate the technical from the aesthetic. Lots of YouTube videos on the former but the latter is developed by looking at photographs. Get books of photographs - Steve McCurry is one but there are so many others. Perhaps a book showing the development of photography over the years.
12-07-2020, 10:51 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will also suggest 'One Light' video workshop DVD (maybe now in MP4 format) / probably can check youtube - might be there.

12-19-2020, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #38
Forum Member

Something a little different .... Adventures with Pinhole and Home Made Cameras from tin cans to precision engineering by John Evans. I've had this book a long time and not bothered with it for ages. Last week I was contemplating some anamorphic camera images I'd made a long time back and thinking I'd like to do more and maybe try some anamorphic zone plates. I pulled the book out and was reminded just how packed with info it and what great images it contains. So there you go ... when you're skint and all your gear fails, there is still plenty of scope for creative imaging!