Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2020, 12:47 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pkboy Quote
I'd use something simple like a PVC pipe as hat stand, if mannequin head not available. Attached is a photo I did with a similar "technique" except it was just a cheap plastic ball stuck on the end of a pipe. If the helmet is rigid you won't need the ball.
Thanks for responding.

I've been a bit distracted with other photo subjects, but I did end up experimenting with a cycle helmet. I used a flexible arm that had a small, pivoted, clamp attached to it. I didn't actually use the clamp, but like your ball, I used it to rest/support the helmet. It was mostly OK, but I struggled to support the helmet at all the angles I needed to show some internal detail AND capture the straps, as the flexible arm always masked some area. With careful angles, I managed to reduce the cloning I needed in post. With differential lighting of the inside to the outside, I think I managed to reduce most of the cloning artifacts, as hinting at the inside was all that was needed, whereas the outside illumination was greater.

I find it helpful to set myself these challenges to discover the pitfalls. I'm currently about to start on some pcb/electronics experiments having raided our loft and extracted the guts from devices that had been stored there for years. I think it's going to be a challenge to get something interesting that not just record shots. Time to play with focus stacking I'm anticipating ...

11-12-2020, 01:34 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I read an article some time ago about a DIY gadget for macro photography, that was made up of some very stiff foam covered plant ties (think metal coat hangers) and a couple of spring clamps. The term used was "plamp" for Plant Clamp, but the crux of it was these stiff plant ties.

I picked up a few from my local gardening superstore, twisted two together to make it extra stiff and it works. So you didn't go into details on how you wanted to support the helmets, but the fact these plant ties are stiff but flexible to could bend them into a hook shape which will support the helmet crown from inside, then route the tie out of the side of the helmet opposite the camera. It would need to be attached to something behind the helmet, but with a bit of practice it could be done in a way that you can't see the support.

Link to original article

DIY “plamp” for under 5! | Robin Hoskyns Nature Photography - Blog